Help with a waterproof jacket please?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Richardhb123 28 Oct 2020

I tend to sit more than walk at my age now, so need a really good top. I wear salopettes that cover my back, so a waist high jacket would be best rather than over long, but it must cover the back The Army Gortex jackets appeal, mainly for price, but I find them not contoured enough for my weight and size. It must also have a good hood to fully cover a warm hat under it. I do have a Paramo but its not good for just sitting down in, to work it needs me to sweat a bit, not easy at 70. 

I'm open to any suggestions really. The main criteria is waterproof and room inside for layering, I'll wear a slim puffer jacket, and one or two layers of marino wool inside.

Thanks in kind anticipation.  Richard.

bouldery bits 28 Oct 2020
In reply to Richardhb123:

If budget allows, I would perhaps look at the Sprayway Torridon. It is a longer jacket but is ideal for your purpose I believe. 

Run_Ross_Run 28 Oct 2020

Have pm'd you. 

sheffieldchris 28 Oct 2020

If you are doing more sitting than walking have a look at fishing and hunting gear. This stuff is designed for static use, will keep you warm and dry but may be heavy and a tad chunky to wear.

decathlon do a lot of this but there are loads of other options.

This kit is also not currently trendy so a fraction the price of the reds, blues and yellow super duper do all bestest ever new materiel jackets.

Would steer clear of so called army gore-tex many a day on the range in the rain told me they are not that water proof.

FactorXXX 28 Oct 2020
In reply to sheffieldchris:

> If you are doing more sitting than walking have a look at fishing and hunting gear. This stuff is designed for static use, will keep you warm and dry but may be heavy and a tad chunky to wear.

Also sailing gear.  

Removed User 29 Oct 2020
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Also sailing gear.  

Beat me to it. Not always, but often at much better prices than climbing stuff too.

Be warned though, some jackets have retroreflective flashes on the chest, great if you're lost, but not if you're into having photos of yourself. This is actually a method used by some celebrities trying to deter paparazzi, by wearing reflective scarves etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...