Hydrations packs - which one?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 whenry 27 Oct 2020

I need a new hydration pack (reservoir /innards, not a rucksack), and wondered what people like these days? I'm going to be using it for a mix of mountain biking, walking, and long multipitch climbs.

I've had Camelbak for ages, which has been fine, though the point where the tube connects to the bladder is now very stiff. I'm looking for a 3 litre one.

Any recommendations? Is Camelbak still the one to get?

Thanks.

In reply to whenry:

I'm in the market for a new one too. Interested in what people say but we have 2 vintages of camelbak and both are annoying/crap in some way, so I won't be buying another. 

Naechi 27 Oct 2020
In reply to whenry:

Been using a Hydrapak Force this year.  No issues, does the job - wide opening and is reversible for cleaning, I use the plastic bar bit to hold it open to air it when not using and its got a push-fit connection to take it apart while leaving hose in place.

https://hydrapak.com/collections/hydration-reservoirs

Post edited at 22:02
 rj_townsend 27 Oct 2020
In reply to whenry:

I seem to get through these at an alarming rate including camelback and Platypus. I’ve currently got a cheap Decathlon one which has been great and has lasted better than the others. Full top opening and decent nozzle too.

GMohr 28 Oct 2020
In reply to whenry:

A second vote for the hydrapack, really good - similar to the osprey reservoirs but more user friendly (less hard plastic, lighter, easier to clean - can put it through a dish washer if you wanted) saying that it came with a pump valve thing on the drinking end of the tube which might be good for walking/ armed forces use but if using for running was a complete pain and added weight so I've swapped mine for the tube from an osprey reservoir.

Ps, noticed the pump thing doesn't seem to be pictured in any of the ones in the above link (I have forces 2l) so maybe it's been got rid of. 

Post edited at 00:23
Removed User 28 Oct 2020
In reply to whenry:

Hydrapak. Nice quality, lots of choices, streamlined design with none of the bulky 90's type plastic stuff other brands seem to include. The mouth pieces are very simple and unobtrusive.

Plus they seem to be the company that makes many other brands.

Removed User 28 Oct 2020
In reply to GMohr:

> Ps, noticed the pump thing doesn't seem to be pictured in any of the ones in the above link (I have forces 2l) so maybe it's been got rid of. 

I've had one of those. Far too bulky for running or walking I think, but good if you want to use the system for things like washing hands, gear etc.

Bilbo Baggins 28 Oct 2020
In reply to whenry:

Over the years I've had Platypus, Camelbak, Hydrapak and Source.  At the time of purchase the Source one seemed to be more innovative, better designed and better made.  It's also the one that lasted the longest.

Correction.  Just checked I meant Hydrapak

Post edited at 10:04
 99ster 28 Oct 2020
In reply to whenry:

Another vote for Hydrapak.
Over probably 30 years....I've tried them all.  And Hydrapak is my favourite.
I'd avoid the Source ones - in my experience, very poor quality control & materials.

LastBoyScout 28 Oct 2020
In reply to whenry:

I've got a collection of assorted bladders and mostly use Platypus. Both of them have started leaking around where the hose attaches and have been sent back to be replaced, so they do have a good warranty.

I've also used Salomon, Ultimate, North Face and bits of Camelbak hose fittings. I've not used the bladder that came in the Osprey pack I've got or the Camelbak one my sister gave me. My wife has a DaKine one, which seems very flimsy, but has held up so far. Anyway, they've all seemed like much of a muchness to me, although I like the baffle in the Camelbak that helps keep it flat and reduce sloshing - even if the Ultimate one I had 25 years ago did it first!

Have to say I've never used a 3l one - but I have taken 2x 2l ones (not full!) on some long hot walks before.

OP whenry 28 Oct 2020
In reply to whenry:

Thanks all - sounds like I'm going to try a Hydrapak.

Inhambane 28 Oct 2020
In reply to whenry:

I've had a source for 4 years and its still going strong after many multipitches.  It has a twist lock on the bite valve so it doesn't accidentally leak and also a cover for the mouth piece so it doesn't get too dirty when you drop your bag in the mud. I never clean it and there is no mold in it apparently its treated with something.  

Chmusar 29 Oct 2020
In reply to whenry:

Used a Source Wide Pak for a long time now very easy to clean and all parts can be replaced ie tube,valve etc and never leaked

https://bit.ly/2TD4r61

Also have a deuter insulated bladder bag which it fits in well and has great insulating properties

https://bit.ly/3kH6gL8

LastBoyScout 30 Oct 2020
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> I've got a collection of assorted bladders and mostly use Platypus. Both of them have started leaking around where the hose attaches and have been sent back to be replaced, so they do have a good warranty.

2 warranty replacements arrived this morning, so very happy with Platypus/Cascade designs.

LastBoyScout 30 Oct 2020
In reply to Chmusar:

> Also have a deuter insulated bladder bag which it fits in well and has great insulating properties

Interesting one - not seen that before. I do use the Camelbak neoprene hose cover for winter/snowboarding.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...