Hi-viz (night and day) windproof gilet?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 23 Oct 2020

Hello all,

Has anyone found a lightweight, windproof but not waterproof, gilet that they like? My current main commuting one is falling apart, but I haven't been able to find another quite like it to replace it with, and because I bought it years ago in a sport shop in Sweden (it's their own brand) I can't replace it like for like.

The perfect gilet for me is:

Hi viz yellow

Has big strips of 3M reflecting material around it.

Mesh back.

No, or minimal, back pockets, as I use a rucksack to ride to work.

Super-breathable (hence windproof, but not waterproof).

Very light and packable.

I have three other gilets - none of them are quite right. A Decathlon one that is everything else except light and highly breathable. Good in drizzle or really cold weather but too warm/sweaty for everything else. Another very light, very breathable, one from Decathlon (Van Rysel) but it's black and only has little reflective bits on it. And another one from the Swedish sport shop's own brand. It's yellow, breathable and quite light, but doesn't have as good reflectors and has both drop pockets and a zip pocket at that back that I can feel under my pack.

It's so annoying when you know exactly what you want but can't find anything exactly like that, despite there being loads of options that are quite like that! Cheers for any leads anyone might have.

Post edited at 11:10

In reply to TobyA:

> Cheers for any leads anyone might have.

I was going to suggest an Altura night vision one like I’ve got which has all you’re after (though not quite as much 3M as yours), but a google suggests the design/spec has changed! Must be older than I thought!
Sorry not helpful, unless you can find some old stock.

felt 23 Oct 2020
In reply to TobyA:

Surely France is the place to go for gilets jaunes? 

https://www.ekoi.com/en/gilets-sleeveless/9136-gilet-ekoi-pro-line-jaune.ht... 

(waterproof)

Yanis Nayu 23 Oct 2020
In reply to TobyA:

I’ve got a Castelli perfetto one which is really good. 

Ridge 23 Oct 2020
In reply to TobyA:

> The perfect gilet for me is:

> Hi viz yellow

> Has big strips of 3M reflecting material around it.

> Mesh back.

> No, or minimal, back pockets, as I use a rucksack to ride to work.

> Super-breathable (hence windproof, but not waterproof).

> Very light and packable.

With the possible exception of windproof, the above is available from screwfix at £3.59 😀

Philip 23 Oct 2020
In reply to TobyA:

How can it be mesh and windproof?

What you have looks like a workplace hi-viz , those that aren't good enough look like cheap "hi viz" from Mountain Warehouse type stores. Maybe you need to look at H&S equipment suppliers.

LastBoyScout 23 Oct 2020
In reply to TobyA:

Sportful one linked here should cover it:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/gilets-cycle?f=4294967078

EarlyBird 23 Oct 2020
In reply to TobyA:

Have you had a look at the ProViz stuff? 

LastBoyScout 23 Oct 2020
In reply to Philip:

> How can it be mesh and windproof?

Windproof front for protection, mesh back for breathability.

OP TobyA 23 Oct 2020
In reply to Philip:

Mesh back. Windproof front. I thought that was reasonably obvious? Most cycling gilets seem to be that. 

OP TobyA 23 Oct 2020
In reply to LastBoyScout:

That looks good but maybe no mesh back... Hmmm. Fair price too.

nniff 23 Oct 2020
In reply to TobyA:

I had a Sportful one, a predecessor to this https://www.wiggle.co.uk/sportful-hot-pack-6-vest

No mesh back, but not really an issue, especially if wearing a rucksack.

Rapha does have a mesh back, but not hi-vis as far as I know.

My gilet is invaluable - it has to be really warm not to wear it, at least until I've warmed up.  If over-heating is a problem, get a messenger bag instead of a rucksack.  Castelli musette is a perfect commuter size.

Ridge 23 Oct 2020
In reply to nniff:

Spotful also do a mesh back:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/sportful-hot-pack-easy-light-vest

Not as reflective as Toby would like, also not yellow. However I think orange is better in daylight than yellow in terms of visibility.

afx22 23 Oct 2020
In reply to TobyA:

> Mesh back. Windproof front. I thought that was reasonably obvious? Most cycling gilets seem to be that. 

Yeah, but what if you’re riding backwards?  

elsewhere 23 Oct 2020
In reply to Ridge:

> With the possible exception of windproof, the above is available from screwfix at £3.59 😀

I used to wear one. They are pretty wind proof! Certainly make you much warmer.

elsewhere 23 Oct 2020
In reply to TobyA:

Windproof front & mesh back but both with rear pockets

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-squadra-long-gilet

and this is what I have from a few years ago. It's good.

https://garneau.com/eu_en/nova-2-cycling-vest-1028101

Post edited at 19:53
 wbo2 23 Oct 2020
In reply to TobyA: I have a Swix one that ticks most of those boxes

MisterPiggy 24 Oct 2020
In reply to TobyA:

+ 1 for Altura.

I found one on eBay a while back: hi-viz yellow and orange, covered in 3M tape, pocket at the back.

Riding my bike through police lines in Paris during early Gilet Jaunes protests - I pointed out (with winning smile to lady police officer) that it was majority orange with some yellow, and was free to go.

It shows up well day or night and keeps the wind off just fine. Not waterproof at all.

Oh, and it has a double ended zip - very helpful.

Good luck in your search.

Dave B 25 Oct 2020
In reply to TobyA:

https://www.runningxpert.com/en/craft-safety-vest.html

It just popped up as an advert. Intended for running I think, but similar enough? 

OP TobyA 25 Oct 2020
In reply to Dave B:

Dave you star - we might have a winner. I think Craft is a Swedish firm, so I reckon my "Swedemount" shop-own brand one was just a direct copy of the Craft one.

And when googling the one you found to look for the best price, I found an ad for the Altura one on sale for just 14 quid so I might have to treat myself to one of those as well!

Thanks all. The clocks have gone back, and when I'm back to work after half term next week I'll be riding home in the dark each day, but it looks like along with my christmas tree-effect bike (and bag and helmet), I'll have some new super-cheery high viz to wear too!

OP TobyA 25 Oct 2020
In reply to MisterPiggy and Dave B:

So now I have an Altura night vision vest and a Craft safety vest winging their way to me from two different webshops (only one of which is named after a long south american river). Cue limited amounts of eye-rolling from my partner as to why I needed two new ones. She did ask, so it's her own fault really.

I may well report back with my preliminary conclusions in future weeks!

GrahamD 25 Oct 2020
In reply to TobyA:

> Cue limited amounts of eye-rolling from my partner as to why I needed two new ones. She did ask, so it's her own fault really.

The standard answer, surely, is "you can't be too careful "

On a more serious point, it amazes me how much black bad weather gear is out there.  

OP TobyA 01 Nov 2020
In reply to Dave B:

So my Craft gilet arrived, and it's perfect. Basically just the same as my old one but minus the numerous holes and hemming ripping off the main body material!

I also got the Altura and while I think the colours and reflective material on it are fantastic, I'm going to send it back because that's not really what I want - it's much more just a safety tabard, not fitted, quite loose and baggy, and made fully of mesh, so breathable yep, but actually I want it to be windproof in the front and non flappy. If your commute home was a couple of relatively flat miles through a city and you just wore your coat, the Altura one would be great to just pull over, but too baggy to work with/as part of my cycling kit.

Thanks again everyone who offered their thoughts!

Post edited at 10:59

malk 01 Nov 2020
In reply to TobyA:

i recently found one of these by a bike path : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Korntex-KXVWG3XL-Standard-Visibility-Black/dp/B07X... (probably v cheap) and i like as nice big arm holes and velcro fasteners  - and possibly a marginal gain if racing a grand tour 

Dave B 01 Nov 2020
In reply to TobyA:

Pleased for you. Looks good. 

I'm after something orange myself. 

felt 01 Nov 2020
In reply to malk:

> and possibly a marginal gain if racing a grand tour

What, there was an padded envelope in the back pocket?

mark burley 04 Nov 2020
In reply to TobyA:

Make sure you keep it reflective, the shiny stuff wears out.Copy and paste:

Maintaining Compliance with EN ISO 20471

While EN ISO 20471 details test methods and requirements before use, it doesn't cover the requirements of remaining compliant after the garment has been worn. However, it's important to check and maintain hi-vis workwear to ensure its performance isn't compromised over time.

So when should you replace your hi-vis? Most hi-vis products have a maximum life of 25 washes unless stated otherwise on the label. This means that over-cleaning can lead you to lose compliance. Wearing over-washed hi-vis increases the likelihood of an accident, while not washing regularly enough can also impact the garment’s performance, as stains and dirt will reduce the item’s visibility.

Because of this, it's best to have at least two hi-vis garments for each part of the body and rotate their use so that you can prolong their life and wash less often. With this method, you should aim to replace hi-vis garments approximately every three months.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...