NEWS: George Foster Sets New British Bob Graham Record

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH News 11 Oct 2020
George (2nd from right) and support runners, setting a blistering pace on the fell today

This evening, 11 October, George Foster from Ambleside AC set a new British record of 13hrs 44mins on the Bob Graham Round.

Read more
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

Very misleading, clicked on this thinking Killian's record for the Bob Graham round had been broken, is this a new trend post brexit, seperate times for Johnnny foreginer, can't believe i fell for click bait UKC.

andybenham 12 Oct 2020
In reply to Andy Clarke1965:

Agree 100%. Well done to the lad but there's only one record that matters with the BGR 

Red Rover 12 Oct 2020

Is it so missleading? It says quite clearly in the title, and in the first sentence, that it is the British record. I don't think it's being political or denigrating 'johnny foreigner' either, it is simply stating that this is the fastest time by a brit. Is it really something to get worked up about?

> is this a new trend post brexit, seperate times for Johnnny foreginer

No. If he'd run the fastest time ever and we'd headlined it British Record then you might have a point.

Red Rover 12 Oct 2020
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

I can't believe anyone would think UKC was Brexity, this must be one of the most left-leaning bubbles on the internet :p Some people just like being outraged I suppose.

Post edited at 08:04
 geordiepie 12 Oct 2020

You are talking complete nonsense. Athletics has world and National records. Should we do do away with those?

mgce25c 12 Oct 2020

Or we could get back to saying what an outstanding achievement this is regardless! Well done George - phenomenal 

Michael Gordon 12 Oct 2020

For goodness sake. So when a foreigner beats us we start having national records just for the sake of it? As said above, there's only one (current) record that matters!

Kalna_kaza 12 Oct 2020
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Surely it shows that the BGR has reached a maturity that warrants world class athletes to try and beat the record rather than it being an obscure route on some (internationally) insignificant hills. 

We have a British record for marathons and other long distance events. This is a national record on a given route which may well be beaten in the future.

Great achievement regardless.

Michael Gordon 12 Oct 2020
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

But world class foreign athletes aren't going to be interested in a 'British record', just the actual record. 

geordiepie 12 Oct 2020

Almost all sports have national and international records, championships cups or competitions.

felt 12 Oct 2020
In reply to geordiepie:

You say that, but we've only had national records in athletics since 1887 so it's hardly surprising that some people haven't caught on to the idea yet.

Red Rover 12 Oct 2020

It's only a couple of weeks ago that I was saying on here that outrage culture was eating itself and more and more reasonable things would be called out as heresy, now not even UKC is safe!

steveriley 12 Oct 2020

Stunning time, even more so for it being October, limited daylight, soggy and less perfect weather. Chapeau.

James FR 12 Oct 2020
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

The title is not misleading at all, but I do find it strange making a distinction between British and foreign runners for this kind of achievement. At the same time, I find it completely normal to have national and world records in athletics. I guess the difference for me could be that the BGR and other rounds are more of a "mountain thing" which I don't really think of in terms of nationalities of the people involved. I'm fairly sure that at the end of the UTMB there isn't a podium with the different flags and national anthems(?)

Ridge 12 Oct 2020
In reply to steveriley:

> Stunning time, even more so for it being October, limited daylight, soggy and less perfect weather. Chapeau.

Exactly, to me this is what it should be about, not trying to shoehorn 'outrage' into the discussion.

I wasn't even aware the BGR was a race held under World Athletics rules until I read all this talk of British and World records.

felt 12 Oct 2020
In reply to James FR:

> I'm fairly sure that at the end of the UTMB there isn't a podium with the different flags and national anthems(?)

Quite, but there is this sort of thing

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/romanias-robert-hajnal-waves-his-natio... 

(Romania's Robert Hajnal waves his national flag as he runs to place second in the 170 km Mount Blanc Ultra Trail (UTMB) race around the Mont-Blanc)

https://miro.medium.com/max/875/1*DrxmnkGHGkcV9aJwBNoKGw.jpeg 

(UTMB 2019 start line. Chamonix, France)

As long as they don't get the jackboots and special salutes out, I don't see a problem. Mountains have long been the arena for a spot of harmless flag-waving and to get all Rousseau about them is perhaps misplaying the idealism card.

Harry Jarvis 12 Oct 2020
In reply to steveriley:

> Stunning time, even more so for it being October, limited daylight, soggy and less perfect weather. Chapeau.

My thoughts entirely. I did wonder what on earth possessed him to make this attempt at this time of year. An outstanding achievement. 

In reply to Harry Jarvis:

> My thoughts entirely. I did wonder what on earth possessed him to make this attempt at this time of year. An outstanding achievement. 

I know I shouldn't be amazed by this as it happens every year, but I've been amazed at just how quickly things have got wet/muddy underfoot this year. Barely a couple of weeks ago the local paths and trails seemed pretty dry, but the last couple of weeks of rain have really turned things around. It really does make the achievement even more impressive in light of this.

Lhod 12 Oct 2020

Understand the views both sides on the 'British Record' title, though it's not at all misleading.

I read the subtext of the title to be 'faster than Billy Bland's record' which I think deserves distinction.

Incredible effort.

Denning76 12 Oct 2020

I don't see why people are so mad about the title. It clearly states British record so it not misleading. As for the debate about the national record, any round which beats Billy Bland's old record is noteworthy, let alone one run by an amateur. That's before you consider that the ideas of national records are very old indeed, even predating the UK's membership of the EEC. Anyone who tries to link it to Brexit is the one politicising the matter, not the author.

Even if you don't believe in national records, the fact that it is the fastest time by an amateur runner, rather than a pro like Jornet, makes it extremely noteworthy. It's an utterly incredible effort, beating an old record which people thought to be near unassailable for a good while.

Post edited at 12:43
 Red Rover 12 Oct 2020
In reply to Denning76:

You can't say much these days without somebody getting mad at it. If you publish anything you are treading on eggshells.

Clauso 12 Oct 2020

Well, that's pretty cool; it's not every day that you get passed by the second fastest BGR when you're out for a hillwalk?

I took this photo at around 4pm, yesterday, as I puffed and panted my way on to Kirk Fell. If you look very carefully at the centre of the foreground, then I reckon that must be George running behind a boulder with one of his support runners behind him?... The clothing seems to match that shown in the photos on this article, anyhow.

... They all looked considerably fresher than I was feeling, at that point.

Herdwickmatt 12 Oct 2020
In reply to Clauso:

Lovely photo. Yeah I’d agree it’s him. Moving a fair clip I would imagine.

Great effort and amazing for an amateur! Chapeau!

plyometrics 12 Oct 2020
In reply to Clauso:

Great shot!

Clauso 12 Oct 2020
In reply to Herdwickmatt:

> Lovely photo. Yeah I’d agree it’s him. Moving a fair clip I would imagine.

Cheers, if I'd only got my camera out quicker then I'd have got a better shot as they passed me... There were 3 of them together, with George in the middle. I didn't know that it was a record attempt, but suspected that it was a BGR.

> Great effort and amazing for an amateur! Chapeau!

Agreed. Awesome stuff... They looked strong, as I stopped there gasping from the ascent from Beck Head.

Clauso 12 Oct 2020

> Lovely photo. Yeah I’d agree it’s him. Moving a fair clip I would imagine.

Cheers, if I'd only got my camera out quicker then I'd have got a better shot as they passed me... There was 3 of them together, with George in the middle. I didn't know that it was a record attempt, but suspected that it was a BGR.

> Great effort and amazing for an amateur! Chapeau!

Agreed. Awesome stuff... They looked strong, as I stopped there gasping from the ascent from Beck Head.

bouldery bits 12 Oct 2020
In reply to Clauso:

That'll be it. What a photo!!!

This is such inspiring stuff. I'm aiming for 10 hours slower....

The New NickB 12 Oct 2020

The idea that Kilian Jornet is the Spanish National Record holder for the BGR is a little odd. The unbreakable record is broken again, would be enough of a headline.

Red Rover 12 Oct 2020
In reply to The New NickB:

I assumed that these things would have world records and the national record of the country it is in, so no Spanish BGR record and no British record of a challange in Spain.

felt 13 Oct 2020
In reply to Red Rover:

I think that's mostly right. Take the Tour. They're always going about how there hasn't been a French Tour winner since Hinault, and is it going to be Bardet this year, no, it's Pinot for sure, but when was the last time you heard someone say, "Ooh, there hasn't been a Swiss winner since that Hugo Koblet way back"?

Ditto Wimbledon and poor old Tim. Our tournament, our commiserations.

Michael Gordon 13 Oct 2020
In reply to Red Rover:

Dunno, we talk about first British ascents of a lot of foreign routes/mountains... 

Herdwickmatt 13 Oct 2020

I’m going to say it again because this thread should be about George’s marvellous round not bitching about the title.

Amazing effort! Cracking run! 

peter.herd 14 Oct 2020

Inspiring stuff. Well done George.

Bloody well done George!  Totally amazing time and effort, cant imagine how painful this must have been! Sod the critics on this thread, I know George has trained long and hard for this and pushes himself to the limit in his running, I'm definitely impressed  

Michael Gordon 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Emilysaladfingers:

> Sod the critics on this thread, I know George has trained long and hard for this and pushes himself to the limit in his running

Don't think anyone suggested otherwise?

Herdwickmatt 15 Oct 2020

I think it’s more a reference to peoplewhinging about the title instead of congratulating George 

Ridge 15 Oct 2020

> I think it’s more a reference to peoplewhinging about the title instead of congratulating George 

Fair point.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...