Getting a new waterproof jacket for hill walking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 skog 11 Oct 2020

I've been using Paramo for a decade or two (and a £30 shell of some make I can't remember for warm showery days). I loved my Aspira smock, but I had to replace it a year or so ago and the Velez jacket I got really isn't good in proper wet weather.

I've heard several people say their more recent Paramo purchases have been disappointing, so it's probably time to try a shell jacket instead. But I've no idea where to start - last time I looked it was almost all Goretex and maybe a couple of Goretex clones!

I'll still use my Paramo for cool days that aren't particularly wet, and also when it's likely to be snowing rather than sleeting or raining, and I'll carry on using a cheapy thing for summer and for rock climbs where I might tear it, but I'd like to get something else for those mild-to-cool hill days where I'm likely to get soaked. I won't say money's no object - I'd like a good one - but I don't want to pay £400 for something if there's a £200 one that's almost as good (or better!)

What would you recommend?

Post edited at 12:18
 nickcj 11 Oct 2020
In reply to skog:

Like you say, you're going to get soaked whatever! I'd put the cheap shell over the paramo. The paramo will wick and dry better than anything else and the cheap shell will keep out the worst of the weather when it's really grim.

girlymonkey 11 Oct 2020
In reply to skog:

I've never used them, but Cioch is meant to be similar to Paramo. If you got on well with Paramo then it might be worth seeing if others find it to be as good as your old one?

Naechi 11 Oct 2020
In reply to skog:

Had a (black) Crux flak jacket for 10+ years it's durability has impressed. Picked up a Crux Torq jacket a few years back because I needed something in red - also happy.

OP skog 12 Oct 2020

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

The middle of a sunny weekend day probably wasn't the best time to post this - any more suggestions or recommendations from anyone else today?

Harry Jarvis 12 Oct 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

> I've never used them, but Cioch is meant to be similar to Paramo. If you got on well with Paramo then it might be worth seeing if others find it to be as good as your old one?

I have a Cioch Marsco jacket, which I like a lot, but it is heavy, and too hot for a lot of summer walking. Cioch do offer a customising service, so I was able to specify a couple of things to improve the fit - I was helped in this regard by being to go to the shop in Struan to try things on. 

The OP could do worse than look at SportPursuit https://www.sportpursuit.com/ which frequently has very good deals on things that would otherwise be far too expensive, such as Arc'teryx jackets.

OP skog 14 Oct 2020
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

Thanks, I'll have a look there too.

Roger Vickers 14 Oct 2020
In reply to skog:

The best waterproof I have ever had is a Berghaus pack lite. I think they still make it. The daft thing is I only paid £40 for it at a warehouse in Great Harwood that isn't there any more. Best £40 I ever spent cause I am still using it and it's bomb proof. 

OP skog 14 Oct 2020

Thanks everyone.

In the absence of a strong recommendation for any particular jacket, I've gone for a Haglöfs Grym Evo - it looks pretty good, I've had good experiences with other Haglöfs kit, and the company seems to have pretty decent environmental and social ethics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...