REVIEW: Black Diamond Vision MIPS helmet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 09 Oct 2020
Vision MIPS in Glen Clova

Crossing over from the bike and skiing industries, MIPS (Multidirectional Impact Protection System) helmets are designed to offer increased protection to the brain from rotational forces. Martin McKenna looks at the Black Diamond Vision MIPS, one of the first climbing helmets to use this system.   

Read more
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

For those interested, I've already asked Martin what the route within the action shots is, and it's Empire of the Sun (E4 6a) (E4) in Glen Clova. Judging from the logbooks it's claimed a fair few scalps too. Looks amazing!

airborne 09 Oct 2020
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Yep, my first thought was ‘what’s that route’ rather than ‘interesting hat’ unfortunately. Initially thought it was Trilogy until I looked closer at the landscape. 

donna ryan 10 Oct 2020

It’s not the first: I’ve just bought a Mammutt MIPS Wallrider  and I believe they have been around d a while 

dr evil 10 Oct 2020

That’s one of the best pics of Glen Clova I’ve ever seen. Who took it? I’d like to use it in a book. 

Re MIPS: I’m not convinced by this tech. Most of the data to date comes from the manufacturer and independent tests have not found any additional benefit over standard helmets so far.

In reply to dr evil:

I think it was my brother that had the camera when I was on the route. There's an entire sequence of photos from that day and of 3 different people on the route. This is actually cropped form the full photo. I can send you through some processed photos if you'd like. Just drop me an email.

Regarding MIPS. I'd read that the science behind the tech had been supported by independent studies, although that was on MIPS own site.

dr evil 11 Oct 2020
In reply to Martin McKenna - Rockfax:

From the road.cc website:

"Do you need MIPS? Using careful evaluation, and in light of Snell testing showing no benefit in their test configuration, we are still not convinced that you do. It probably won't hurt, other than any effect on ventilation, of if your manufacturer has kept the same outer profile and reduced the thickness of the normal liner to accommodate the MIPS layer, or if it lets the helmet slip too much, or if the extra cost of the MIPS model makes a difference to you... We think the jury is still out on MIPS."

https://road.cc/content/feature/all-you-need-know-about-mips-252931

Here is the Snell testing:

https://helmets.org/mips.htm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...