Rory Stewert's books.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil1919 06 Oct 2020

Has anyone read any of his books? They seem to get good write up ups on their jacket covers. Are they as good as they make out? Thanks. 

aln 06 Oct 2020
In reply to Phil1919:

>  They seem to get good write up ups on their jacket covers.

Don't they all? 

OP Phil1919 06 Oct 2020
In reply to aln:

Yes!

Doug 06 Oct 2020
In reply to Phil1919:

I read the walking across Afganistan book which was interesting, also read the book about the England-Scotland border/his father which I found a bit tedious

Post edited at 17:00
 clipstick 06 Oct 2020
In reply to Doug:

+1 for the recommendation of the Afganistan book. Nice quick travel read. Haven't read his other ones though. 

Robert Durran 06 Oct 2020
In reply to Phil1919:

The Afghanistan book is truly wonderful.

Stichtplate 06 Oct 2020
In reply to Phil1919:

I thought Prince of The Marshes was his best.

Herdwickmatt 06 Oct 2020
In reply to Robert Durran:

I enjoyed it a lot. For a travel book dealing with what must have been a terrifying journey, it’s surprisingly easy reading.

Jason Elliot’s An Unexpected Light is also a good across Afghanistan read

Removed User 06 Oct 2020
In reply to Phil1919:

I like his Afghan one. A good tale, well told, he knows his subject intimately. Also I picked up mine second hand and found a $50 bill inside it. Which was nice.

seankenny 07 Oct 2020
In reply to Herdwickmatt:

> I enjoyed it a lot. For a travel book dealing with what must have been a terrifying journey, it’s surprisingly easy reading.

> Jason Elliot’s An Unexpected Light is also a good across Afghanistan read

Basically what I was going to post, tho I think the Elliot book is better. It inspired me to visit the country so make of that what you will.

OP Phil1919 07 Oct 2020
In reply to seankenny:

Thanks all.

Bulls Crack 07 Oct 2020
In reply to Phil1919:

They are readable and interesting - he's a more thoughtful Tory than most - but there is still more than a hint of neo-imperialist showboating about him despite the obvious sympathy for the err subjects. A modern Kipling?!

sheavi07 07 Oct 2020
In reply to Phil1919:

The Places in Between (Afghan travel book) is superb. Not read his others, yet.

nufkin 08 Oct 2020
In reply to Bulls Crack:

>  he was a more thoughtful Tory than most

A little fix there

In reply to Phil1919:

I've read The Places In Between which was a fabulous account of his walk through Afghanistan. I've only spent a couple of months in that country but his portrayal of life beyond Kabul was very good and he had a tremendous amount of empathy with those he met.

Occupational Hazards was a strong takedown of the disastrous occupation of Iraq. We all think we know how bad it was, but this lays the tragedy bare.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...