Geology for Climbers (book)?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 annasmilesaway 30 Sep 2020

Does anyone know of a geology book written specifically for climbers/with climbing as a theme? 

I know there's been a rather good one written by a US author but it discusses solely American rock types (discussing the formation of Yosemite/Moab etc.) so though interesting it didn't help much.

Jamie Wakeham 30 Sep 2020
In reply to annasmilesaway:

Which area do you want to know about?

The classic coffee-table book on the UK's geology is Granite and Grit by Ronald Turnbull.  It's quite a read - the geology of the UK is ridiculously complex and it makes a good stab at simplifying it.

Or there's the new The Alps - a Natural Companion by Jim Langley and Paul Gannon.  It's a three part book; the first two sections look at the geology and flora of the Alps, and the third part is a guide to 20 walks in the Alps picked to showcased the earlier topics.  

Both are perhaps slanted towards walkers than climbers but I don't think that makes much difference.

JimmAwelon 30 Sep 2020

There are a series of these for the popular UK mountain areas. The Snowdonia ones is pretty good but not written specifically for a climber https://www.pesdapress.com/index.php/product/rock-trails-snowdonia/ I have no experience of the others in the series.

Post edited at 19:05

Thanks all! Definitely going to check all those out!

Doug 01 Oct 2020

Long out of print but still available 2nd hand is John Whittows 'Geology and Scenery in Scotland' which although not written for climbers is a very good introduction explaining how the scenery we see today is a result of Scotand's complex geological history.

ring ouzel 01 Oct 2020

Geology and Landscapes of Scotland by Con Gillen is an excellent book.

summo 01 Oct 2020

There are 4 books in the rocky rambles series, covering Snowdonia, lakes, dales and peak. 

ebdon 01 Oct 2020

not climbing related but if you want a basic intro the geology of various parts of the UK you could do worse then look here: https://www.bgs.ac.uk/geology-projects/regional-geological-summaries/ 

LeeWood 01 Oct 2020
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

Just read all 3 of these - v interesting and a good reference to return to. 

But I'm still left wondering how 'mushrooms' form in granite :/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...