Garmin support - the long haul!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bouldery bits 29 Sep 2020

Hello!

I am currently very displeased with Suunto who have decided to stop supporting my watch after the latest app update (they are in fact still selling the Ambit 3 range on their own website and it is advertised as featuring 'connectivity'. Humph)

Has anyone got an old Garmin that is still in use and is supported by the Garmin interface? Essentially, I don't want to spend a pile of money and end up with a useless watch again.

Thank you!

BB

In reply to bouldery bits:

Using an ages old Garmin 310XT that I thought I'd killed (seals perished and it got soaked in a downpour while cycling) but managed to resurrect it and now only use it for running. Syncs to Strava via Garmin Connect.

Ridge 29 Sep 2020

Got a 6 year old Garmin 220 that I went back to a couple of weeks ago when my new 245 went back to the shop with a fault. Sync'd just fine to Strave via Garmin connect.

OP bouldery bits 29 Sep 2020

Thank you both. That is greatly reassuring.

nniff 30 Sep 2020

I also have an elderly Garmin.  It has been observed that a fair number of Garmin problems are linked to the legacy software that's part of the whole Garmin set-up - I'm not sure how true that is, but it would seem that a wholesale update of Garmin is a non-trivial exercise.

My Garmin is not without its faults - mostly an inability to navigate.  It sulks and won't do turn indications for more than half an hour.  The pink worm remains on the map, but if you try and boot it out of its nav fail mode, it just drinks a whole load of battery and sulks again.  Bless it.  xxxxing thing.

PS - it still links to Strava via Garmin connect and a bit of electric string, but I usually just do Strava on my phone

Post edited at 10:26
 petemeads 30 Sep 2020

I have Garmins going back to 2009, and every 2 or 3 years since, and the data they have all recorded is still available on Garmin Connect. I used to train at what is now racing pace... I don't believe Garmin have ever stopped supporting any of their devices, the newer ones just get more and more features to keep up with the competition.

DancingOnRock 30 Sep 2020

Anything more recent than Windows 7 will run Garmin connect. XP is a none starter.

Mobile wise you need Bluetooth v5 I think  for newer devices. I’m not sure about v4 compatibility with devices and phones but don’t think my 220 worked with iPhone 5. 

The ANT stick may work though. 

Garmin 230s are available second hand for under £50. Depends what you mean by ‘pile of money’ 

OP bouldery bits 30 Sep 2020
In reply to DancingOnRock:

Thank you all!

Looking at the Instinct as it appears to do everything I need (and far far more!) I will be ok with the investment but just need it to work long term. The Suunto has done less than a year for a £180 outlay. I think I should be getting a good few years of support and function atleast for that sort of money. 

UKC is full of brilliant people. Thank you for the info. 

Post edited at 14:09
 Ridge 30 Sep 2020
In reply to DancingOnRock:

My old 220 and newer 245 are both fine with bluetooth V4.2 (Android 10 phone).

Ridge 30 Sep 2020

Can I ask why the Instinct in particular?

If you're looking for more of a mountain nav watch then the Instinct is probably more rugged and has the big plus of a barometric altimeter.

If your aiming more towards running and fitness then other models are probably better in terms of a combination of features, display clarity and battery life around the £200 price point.

DancingOnRock 30 Sep 2020

If a Garmin dies and is out of warranty you can return them for a refurbished unit. And possibly some extra money? They were, up to recently, bombproof but I’m hearing strange things about cheap LCD displays on the 245. Although that maybe only 8 or 9 users who have all found a small corner of the internet and made it look like an issue. 

Post edited at 16:12
In reply to Ridge:

It seems like the right balance of features for me at a price I can stomach. I like a B and W screen and would value an altimeter. I'd like wrist HR as well as I'm fed up of strap faff and the Garmin wrist HR unit is decent enough. 

Plus, looks cool and will likely cope with my clumsiness better than some of the alternatives! 

Ridge 30 Sep 2020

Fair enough! I've posted on your other thread re: the instinct.

In reply to Ridge:

Thanks. Really appreciate your expertise.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...