Sapling Behind Gas Meter Pipework

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MonkeyPuzzle 28 Sep 2020

I have a delightful and seemingly unkillable sycamore sapling that's decided to grow in exactly the wrong place: from behind the service running up into my external gas meter box from the ground at the front of my house. Obviously I don't want it to get any bigger because the service is the inevitable loser in this particular fight.

Any tips on murdering the little bastard?

Cobra_Head 28 Sep 2020
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

Glyphosate

OR probably more environmentally friendly salt and boiling water

OP MonkeyPuzzle 28 Sep 2020
In reply to Cobra_Head:

Glyphosphate it is. I'm *trying* to kill this particular bit of environment.

bet you woood have a different view it it was a MonkeyPuzzle tree ?

duchessofmalfi 28 Sep 2020

chop it off and then give the stump a good cooking with a blowtorch singeing the bark a good couple of inches down around the stump and dry out the top inch.  Takes a few minutes. If it is really determined cook down to the roots.

Wainers44 28 Sep 2020
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

Hmm, blowtorch,  gas main. I am seeing a tiny flaw in this plan....

duchessofmalfi 28 Sep 2020
In reply to Wainers44:

You're right but it will solve the problem one way or other...

colinakmc 28 Sep 2020

What worked for a small tree stump in my last place was to saw it down then drill a good sized (25mm at least) hole in the stump, fill the hole with Jeyes fluid and tape some polythene over it. No re-growth in 2 years plus. 

Timmd 28 Sep 2020

Making a hole in the stump and pouring something unpleasant like oil, or Glyphosate and covering it would mimic the little plugs which are sometimes put into stumps to stop them from re-growing. 

Post edited at 20:21
 Fozzy 28 Sep 2020

SBK stump killer is a much better bet than glyphosate. Cut it back but leave about 200mm, drill down into the centre then fill up with SBK & seal up the top (we’ve got clay soil so I use that). 

Cobra_Head 29 Sep 2020

Leave the tree there and relocate your house.

nniff 29 Sep 2020

Easier than all those - drill a hole and push some copper wire into it so that the copper crosses from the outside air, through the bark and into the wood.  Good tight fit, so cable rather than flex.

James Malloch 29 Sep 2020
In reply to Timmd:

> Making a hole in the stump and pouring something unpleasant like oil, or Glyphosate and covering it would mimic the little plugs which are sometimes put into stumps to stop them from re-growing. 

I've always wondered what they were...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...