Harvest mites in clothes/camping gear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hutson 08 Sep 2020

I've been eaten alive during a weekend's camping in Sussex and given the location (underneath thick socks, underwear elastic etc) I'm wondering if harvest mites are the culprit. Certainly, I did not see any flying insects that could have done it. We did do some walking through an extremely overgrown footpath so they would have had ample opportunity to get all over our clothes, and we were camping in woodland so again a great environment for them.

This is the first time I've experienced them and having read some stuff online that recommends very hot washes of clothes I'm a bit worried - my clothes and camping gear are all merino/silk sleeping bag liners/down bag etc so I can't do that without risking ruining stuff.

I'm thinking I'll wash what I can at the temperature that's appropriate, and spray stuff with something insecticidal.

I've reacted very badly to them (as with all insect bites - the midging I got in the Peak last year had people asking what had happened to me) so I'm pretty paranoid that they may not yet be gone. Anyone experienced them surviving on clothes/gear for any length of time?

(apologies for yet another thread on them but the other one has been archived).

marsbar 08 Sep 2020
In reply to Hutson:

Whilst I wouldn't recommend putting anything like that in a hot wash in the machine,  putting things in the bath and gently pouring hot water over them from the kettle is unlikely to do any damage.  

Once they've had a few minutes and they are cool enough to touch then put them in the washing machine on delicate cycle or hand wash them in warm water.  

You could also try putting some thyme oil in (just a few drops mixed well with water) 

https://www.fwi.co.uk/livestock/poultry/new-strategies-for-dealing-with-red...

Apparently not just an old wives tale.  

Post edited at 15:32
 Timmd 08 Sep 2020
In reply to Hutson:

I wonder how long they can live for without food, maybe you could seal them in bin liners until they die and shake whatever they're in?

They can't live forever, right?

Post edited at 15:51
 Cobra_Head 08 Sep 2020
In reply to Hutson:

Freezer.

OP Hutson 08 Sep 2020
In reply to marsbar:

I'm still a bit wary of pouring hot water over some of the stuff though suppose a few minutes might be ok. The thyme oil is an interesting suggestion, I'll get some of that. Perhaps I'll start bathing in it before my next trip.

In reply to Timmd:

I've googled at length to try to find out how long they can live without eating to not much avail but I'd be amazed if they could live more than a few days. Just don't want to test it...

In reply to Cobra_Head:

Freezer is a good shout; we'll have to eat what's in there though as it's only small! I particularly don't want to wash the down bag (I always use a liner to keep it reasonably clean) so might try to clear a drawer to stuff that in. Times like this I wish I had a chest freezer...

Post edited at 16:27
 Ian Parsons 08 Sep 2020
In reply to Hutson:

> (apologies for yet another thread on them but the other one has been archived).

I have to confess that on first seeing your thread and that other one I initially misread both titles as "Harvest mice ...."

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...