sportiva trango boots - more durable options?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stone Muppet 03 Sep 2020

After some lightweight alpine boots that can take a crampon. I thought trangos were the thing but according to friends not very durable. Is there a more durable option in the same weight range or is that just the price of lightness?

galpinos 03 Sep 2020
In reply to Stone Muppet:

Trango Cube at £150 might make the durability worries go away?

https://www.outside.co.uk/la-sportiva-trango-cube-gtx-mountaineering-boots....

OP Stone Muppet 03 Sep 2020

I saw that earlier this year, and have to say I'm suspicious. They replaced all the stitching with some sort of hybrid between shrinkwrap plastic and glue and everyone is trying to get rid of them. I'm guessing there's a reason?

Post edited at 10:59
 galpinos 03 Sep 2020

I hope not, I've bought a pair! I'd only heard good things and to be honest, being a full time desk monkey with a young family, they won't see enough action for it to be a massive worry.

Dark-Cloud 03 Sep 2020

I went with the Trango Towers, the reviews do mention the sole is a bit soft but if i get as long out of them as my last ones (the ubiquitous blue ones) then i will be happy.

In reply to galpinos:

> being a full time desk monkey with a young family

You described me perfectly as well there. Repeat after me, shiny new kit is not a substitute for getting out climbing!

GHawksworth 03 Sep 2020

Simply put, no.

You sacrifice durability when going lightweight. So that is the price of lightness, I'm afraid.

If you want durable, go towers, if you want lightweight go cubes.

galpinos 03 Sep 2020

> You described me perfectly as well there.

I think there are quite a few of us on UKC.

> Repeat after me, shiny new kit is not a substitute for getting out climbing!

It has been especially hard in lockdown, especially with good deals on winter stuff. 

In reply to GHawksworth:

> If you want durable, go towers, if you want lightweight go cubes.

Aaah! I had assumed they were all similar but yes, it was the cubes my mate had to resole after about 1 month of use.

In reply to GHawksworth:

Hang on, there's only 50g difference between the towers and cubes (assuming sportiva are listing weights for the same size in each case). Are they really that different in durability?

Steve Woollard 03 Sep 2020

I'm on my second pair of Trango Cubes and think their climbing performance is excellent but at the expense of durability. Mine typically  last about 3 alpine seasons but the performance is worth it in my opinion

Post edited at 12:06

As others have said above, the cubes do wear out relatively quickly but perform really well. Ideal for big AD ridges etc.

I'm on my second pair, and still have the first which I've had resoled. The uppers are now fairly wor on the resoled pair, but good for when you're not on snow so wet feet aren't an issue. 

Warmth wise I use them on techie 4000m peaks in summer, and some people do use them on Mont Blanc but for me they would be too cold up there on all but the warmest days.

The other super popular option seems to be the Scarpa Ribelle light, but I hear they wear out just as fast (if not faster)... That's the price of  light-weight boots.

In reply to GHawksworth:

Have owned, used, and worn out both I’d disagree. 

The Cubes are stiffer and have a more technical fit. Hence why they are more expensive. The Towers are clumpier, and not quite as stiff. They have a cheaper construction in my view. 

Soft vibram soles mean that Neither boots are particularly durable but if you don’t use them every day they’ll last quite a while. 

The uppers on the cubes are pretty durable. I got my pair resoled as they were still waterproof when I wore the sole out. 

For £150 the Cubes are a total steal. At that price I wouldn’t ever consider the Towers.

TobyA 03 Sep 2020
In reply to GHawksworth:

Except for the durability of the sole on the Trango Tower Extreme is alarmingly poor too. See my UK review 18 months ago.

GHawksworth 04 Sep 2020
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Fair enough!

Having owned the cubes and thoroughly thrashed them, my opinion would be they're softer. Possibly from the amount I've done in them tbh. I have tried the towers but not for me!

The upper Rand of the toe was first to go for mine and leaked in one foot pretty soon after. Goes to show everyone gets different experiences!

Also, totally agree that £150 is a game changer! If they fit the foot, that'd be my option!!

OP Stone Muppet 11 Sep 2020

Ok, so I got some!

I see what everyone means about the fit being different to nepals. I thought I had narrow feet but the sides of the trangos while not painful are still noticeably *present*. Do they break in a bit?

Mr Lopez 11 Sep 2020

I also got a pair, and judging by all the plastic, rubber and kinky materials they are made with i doubt they'll be stretching much.

Rock and Run are selling Ribelle Lights for £150 which seems like a slightly less technical option. Limited sizes in the men model but if you are under a 41.5 plenty sizes in the womens

Edit: Sorry, Ribelle HD https://rockrun.com/collections/scarpa-ribelle-flash-sale/products/scarpa-r...

Post edited at 12:49

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...