Head torch for night navigation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gable2uk 30 Aug 2020

I'm on the look out for a new head torch for night navigation in the mountains. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance 

SouthernSteve 30 Aug 2020
In reply to gable2uk:

I have a couple of Petzl head torches, but the ultra groups are all very keen on LED Lensers. I have a Nao+ for running now - often in woodland with lots of trip hazards, but used a much smaller version with batteries for early starts in the alps. The very bright ones make the rest of the world very dark even when some light is available.

In reply to gable2uk:

Moonlight or Silva for me. Very bright, clear white light. Doesn't Have the yellowish tinge that Petzl, BD and LED Lenzer have!

Mike D 31 Aug 2020
In reply to gable2uk:

Depends a little on your intended purpose I suppose but I’ve always prioritised a strong ‘spot or boost’ beam for picking things out in the distance, decent battery endurance and able to use with gloves on.

It might not be cutting edge any longer (and uses batteries rather than being rechargable) but I recommend a Petzl Myo XP as a great all rounder. I think it’s a brilliant piece of kit. Mine’s been going about 10 years now. In fact, a few winters ago I got a BD Icon to replace it but (despite on paper being vastly more powerful) went back to using the Myo, as the spot beam just seemed to reach further and it was easier/less faff to use generally. 

In reply to gable2uk:

My old Petzl Tikka has a noticeable flickering in the rain. Maybe the have solved this problem by now, but I have switched a LED Lenser MH6 which doesn't do this. It produces a bright, even beam of white(!) light. 200 lumens on high setting and 20 on low. The low setting is all I need when placing gear;  high is good when navigating.

deepsoup 31 Aug 2020
In reply to Mike D:

>  I recommend a Petzl Myo XP as a great all rounder. I think it’s a brilliant piece of kit. Mine’s been going about 10 years now.

You did well there.  Mine developed the common fault in the cable between the battery pack and the head that made them cut out intermittently, just as Petzl's policy of "we'll just replace it no worries" changed to "you're on your own, soz, buy a new one".  I'd had my money's worth and it didn't really owe me anything by then, but still slightly disappointing.

Ridge 31 Aug 2020
In reply to deepsoup:

I had the same issue with the XP. Managed to bodge it back together but never trusted it after that.

Chris Calow 31 Aug 2020
In reply to gable2uk:

Check out  torchdirect.co.uk.

Can recommend Nitecore or Fenix headtorches. 

goose299 31 Aug 2020
In reply to SouthernSteve:

Do you rate the NAO+ for trail running then

Had a Myo XP circa 8-9 years old which was used heavily in the hills and made it to the alps with no issues  

Somehow lost it car camping with the family in Wales and now need to get a new torch. 

SouthernSteve 31 Aug 2020
In reply to goose299:

I do like it. Due to Covid I have not used it on a long long race yet, but did buy a spare battery ready for such events. My other half fell over in the dark when we used to fly around with just Tikka's and had to have surgery many years ago so had the old version of the Activ which we still have. The Nao+ is much better. I especially like one twist to put the light up where needed (its a big switch that OK with gloves), I don't like that you have to go back through off (albeit very briefly for 'normal' lighting. 

My other half does NOT like the flashing red light at the back and says it is distracting to follow

goose299 31 Aug 2020

How long does the battery last for?

im confused by the Petzl website. 

The constant lighting on a lower lumens has a much lower burn time that reactiv lighting on a high lumen output

surely it should be the other way round

Post edited at 20:28
 SouthernSteve 31 Aug 2020
In reply to goose299:

Never tested to failure, but a couple of hours on full blast definitely. I have done a few nights running without charging.

I realise that is hopelessly unhelpful, sorry. 

Tigger 01 Sep 2020
In reply to gable2uk:

Have a look at Zebra Light H600W, great torches though you'll need to buy a few 18650 batteries, and a decent charger (look at an xp2) sanyo unprotected cells will probably work best.

climbingpixie 01 Sep 2020
In reply to goose299:

I've got the Nao rather than the Nao+ but I really like it for night running. I use mine for night orienteering a lot and the reactive setting is brilliant for not dazzling yourself when you look at the map. Battery life hasn't been an issue but then I tend to only be out for a couple of hours at most for a night run. I'd probably buy a spare battery if I was going to use it out on the fells at night, though they are eye-wateringly expensive!

goose299 01 Sep 2020
In reply to climbingpixie:

Thanks. 
I’d pretty much decided I was going to buy it before this post but it’s nice to get get some real reviews. I never quite trust ones online as I’d not sure how incentivised the reviewer is. 

I agree about the battery though - ludicrous price

It’s a shame they removed the option to use AA’s as a backup.  

StockportAl 01 Sep 2020
In reply to gable2uk:

I use a LED Lenser MH10, I acquired mine at a sizable discount. It is more than bright enough on the hill at night. I've used it once or twice caving but it's not fully waterproof so I only take it in to dry or dryish caves.

I've seen enough Petzl torches now to be of the opinion that they just aren't bright enough, once upon a time they were quite good but for night nav you want to light up as much ground as possible not ust what is around your feet.

I fully intend to get a Fenix lamp for caving in the near future, they're bright and submersible.

In reply to gable2uk:

I really rate my one of these.

https://www.torchdirect.co.uk/nitecore-head-torches/nitecore-nu32-rechargea...

Very adjustable lumens, it comes rechargeable, so you need never recharge batteries again.

I recharge it in the car on the way back from each time I use it.

yorkshire_lad2 02 Sep 2020
In reply to gable2uk:

April 2020 tgo had a review by Chris Townsend of head torches: 9 models reviewed:

Best Buy

• Petzl Swift RL £95

Recommended:

• Black Diamond Spot 325 £40
  • Alpkit Qark £33
  • Princeton Tec Apex £116
  • Biolite 330 £50 (lightest in test)
  • GP Explor PHR15 £35
  • Lifesystems Intensity 235 £30

(I have no connection with tgo other than as a subscriber)

SouthernSteve 02 Sep 2020
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

Which 2 torches did not make it to this list? 

yorkshire_lad2 03 Sep 2020

> Which 2 torches did not make it to this list? 

• Nite Ize Radiant 250 £50
  • Olight Array £60
  • Led Lenser MH8

There were 10 head torches in the review (not 9 as previously noted)

James Malloch 03 Sep 2020
In reply to gable2uk:

I’ve a question on the same kind of lines so hopefully this isn’t much of a thread hijack. 

I recently got the Petzl Swift RL and have been running through the local woods at dusk / when it’s dark. The headtorch is great, but depth perspection seems to go out of the window. As the light is essentially coming from your eyes, you don’t really get shadows which makes running over stoney ground, tree routes etc much quite surreal.

Has anyone found a way to combat this? I’ve seen someone mentioned a waist light in addition to a head torch. Now that winter is nearing and it’ll be dark on most runs it would be good to combat this. As I up my distances it’ll be more important as I start to explore new terrain.

Basemetal 03 Sep 2020
In reply to James Malloch:

I've found depth perception is also reduced by brilliant white (6000+K) rather than warm white (<2500K) LED light as subtle colour cues are reduced.

greg_may_ 03 Sep 2020
In reply to gable2uk:

Myself and wife have a NAO - we share batteries if one of us is on a longer run. Can't fault it.

Have a LED lenser that I use for MR work - good until it isn't. Don't rate it as high as the NAO. We as a team have had a lot of failures with LED lenser kit over the years - quite a few of us not using it any more.

marky 03 Sep 2020
In reply to gable2uk: Me and my partner have both been impressed with the Alpkit Qark. It has 3 brightness settings with an impressive 580 lumens at max and a rechargeable battery with the option to use three AAA batteries as a back up. 

Post edited at 13:38
 StuDoig 03 Sep 2020
In reply to goose299:

I like the Nao+ for trail running as well, the battery life thing is confusing, but theres a good article on here from Petzl explaining it (also why at the time their torches advertised a much shorter duration of burn time than competitors).  One issue I have had has been in rain / show where back scatter from the rain / snow has artificially reduced the output.  Only a couple of occasions where I can think it actually made much difference in fairness as normally with lots of water in the air higher output just illuminates a big wall of water!

The app is slightly annoying and gimmicky - bugs me that you need to use the app to switch the red rear light on and off (I like it off normally, but on if running along poorly lit roads in the dark).  On the plus side if you can sneakily pair your mates torch with your phone endless fun can result until they twig!

goose299 03 Sep 2020
In reply to StuDoig:

Cheers for the input. I read a few reviews and it seems that everyone was annoyed about being unable to switch the red light on via the torch and not the app. 

I actually pulled the trigger and bought it. It was delivered today and is currently charging. 

So I’ve pushed this afternoon’s run back to the evening to have a play with it. 

J101 03 Sep 2020
In reply to marky:

I've got one, excellent value for money, does not like the cold at all though.

gooberman-hill 04 Sep 2020
In reply to greg_may_:

I have a Led Lenser SEO7R. My wife has a Nao. I wouldn't swap!

The Led Lenser is much lighter, I like the focus on the beam, and it works well on the low power setting or going uphill (when you don't need the beam range). I hate the automatic "intelligent" adjustment on the Nao.

I have found Led lenser's customer service to be Brilliant. I couldn't fault them.

YMMV

Steve

Phill_Away 04 Sep 2020
In reply to gable2uk:

might be worth a look, extensive testing and info about the lies about burn time and output https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-headlamp

In reply to Phill_Away:

Thank you Phill. 

Outdoorgearlab has even dedicated an entire article specifically about the lies here:

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/expert-advice/why-headlamp-claims-are-decept...

benp1 05 Sep 2020
In reply to gable2uk:

I’d defo recommend the Zebralight H600w. Genuinely fantastic light, my favourite of all my headtorches

Outdoorgearlab like it too

Frank R. 05 Sep 2020
In reply to gable2uk:

Probably anything but Petzl! A single AA one, as much oomph as three AAAs and much easier to change in the dark, if it dies. Preferably one without misleading advertising of run times. I'd suggest neutral white (4000-5000K) LEDs, somewhat less dazzling in a drizzle and slightly easier on the eyes, but that's my personal preference.

Sir Chasm 05 Sep 2020
In reply to James Malloch:

You could try this https://www.decathlon.co.uk/run-light-250-aw19-id_8573980.html works for some. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...