Simond Makalu 45/70 rucksack. Any experience?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 peppermill 26 Aug 2020

As per title. In the market for a new pack of this size and type. Already seen that Needlesports have Crux packs at a hefty discount for similar money, I just like having the 70l capacity when it's needed.

I have several friends that are a bad influence and plans are being made....

I'm well aware that Simond have been making mountaineering kit since way before most of the better known brands and everything I've had before has been great. Just seems a little too good to be true

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/backpack-makalu-70-red-id_8360592.html

Has anybody used this? Is it as good as it seems?

Post edited at 11:17
 rowanbrandreth 26 Aug 2020
In reply to peppermill:

I have the Simond Alpinism 33 backpack and it's great. Well designed and seems pretty hard-wearing (I've had it about 18 months and it gets used multiple times a week). 

Obviously a different model, hopefully that helps.

OP peppermill 26 Aug 2020
In reply to rowanbrandreth:

Perfect, thanks! Most of their kit seems pretty good.

Suncream 26 Aug 2020
In reply to peppermill:

I have the Simond Jorasses pack, which now seems to have been discontinued, and I love it. Well made, well designed

Doug 26 Aug 2020
In reply to peppermill:

I have a 22 litre Simond pack which has been very good & I would buy another if/when it wears out. But I'm not sure I'd want a 45/75 L sack without some adjustment to the backlength (difficult to tell from the website but it seems the Makula has no adjustment). Although if you're lucky its the right length for you (being small I find that most sacks are too long for me)

OP peppermill 27 Aug 2020
In reply to peppermill:

Thanks guys. The other stuff Ive had from them has been great, just haven't tried any of their rucksacks!

nniff 27 Aug 2020
In reply to peppermill:

No 1 son has got one very similar to that - last years model I think.  He's very pleased with it.  We've an assortment of other Simond rucksacks in the house and they have all done really well and taken a beating

In reply to peppermill:

Read some of the reviews; the Russian guys weren't that keen, and identified what seem to be reasonable gripes, even if they don't appear to like hip belts...

Of course, their returns policy is very good.

OP peppermill 27 Aug 2020
In reply to captain paranoia:

Yeah thanks, I saw that. Never really like to read too much into reviews when it's somewhere like Decathlon that has such a broad range of customers buying all sorts of junk (that includes me at times....)

In reply to peppermill:

You can usually filter out the "don't like the colour" comments, especially if the critical comments are specific.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...