Replacement tent poles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Cirlia 30 Jul 2020

I just bought a second hand tent (Vango Tempest 300) and unfortunately one of the pole segments was fractured. I tried repairing it, but it didn't work and now it's snapped!

Current poles are aluminium, 9.5mm diameter. I only need one 42cm segment. I'd rather not buy an entire new pole set just for one segment (it's £27 from the official Vango supplier! + £4 shipping - that's more than I paid for the tent!).

A few questions:

* Can the replacement pole be Fibreglass? They seem to be about 5 times cheaper than the alloys, and easier to find. Will they have the same bending characteristics?

* Any suggestions on where to find a replacement segment? (I've tried a local shop, and Go Outdoors/Millets have three identical ones at different prices scattered around the country... :-/ ).
(Am in Edinburgh)

Also of course, replacement poles are generic length and then need "cutting to size", but I don't have any tooling... :-/

Suggestions welcome.
Thanks

Neil Williams 30 Jul 2020
In reply to Cirlia:

With ally poles, if one has fractured it's very likely there is cracking in others too so others might fail too.  As the tent would be £100-150 new the price of a new set seems reasonable and they'll last well.

Dale Berry 30 Jul 2020
In reply to Cirlia:

Vango probably do a specific replacement pole for your tent. Try the Vango web page for your tent and look in the specification section for the code of the one you need.

johnlc 30 Jul 2020
In reply to Cirlia:

Lancashire Sport Repairs do tent poles.  Can't say if they are any good at that specific service but they were very helpful with a nice pair of boots which needed a new sole / mid-sole / rand.

https://lancashiresportsrepairs.co.uk/tent-repairs-and-tent-pole-repairs/

db99 30 Jul 2020
In reply to Cirlia:

I have had an alloy pole repaired and spare section supplied by Scottish Mountain Gear, they were brilliant.

https://www.scottishmountaingear.com/repair-service/pole-repairs

Cirlia 30 Jul 2020

Thanks for the suggestions, am looking into them.

Does anyone know if a fibreglass segment can be mixed with alloy segments? This is a dome tent, so they're getting bent (about 170degrees of bending on this 3.3m pole).

Post edited at 15:24
 Toccata 30 Jul 2020
In reply to Cirlia:

I emailed Vango and they sorted out a new set of poles that I picked up from a unit in G33 4TT as I passed through on my way north. Very helpful people.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...