Hardshell waterproof recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sealwife 18 Jul 2020

Looking to buy a new hardshell jacket for wet weather wear.  There seem to be a lot  of fabrics on the market I don’t have any experience of (eVent, Gore-tex Paclite etc).  Have read lots more of manufactures information and also lots of reviews and am not getting very far.  Obviously manufacturers all say their product is great, reviews are a very mixed bag but often deal with fit, which is personal.

What I’m after is, a woman’s jacket which will keep me dry in a downpour or battering, horizontal hail, has a hood with a stiff peak and a volume adjuster.  I’m not too bothered about weight - my experience with very lightweight gear has not been positive.  Sub £300 - I don’t need masses of features.

Any recommendations or products you’ve had you wouldn’t buy again?

jezb1 18 Jul 2020
In reply to Sealwife:

I love my Patagonia Triolet, pretty tough and on offer at the mo: https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/patagonia-womens-triolet-jacket-waterproof-jac...

SFM 18 Jul 2020
In reply to Sealwife:

Hi, my tuppence worth is that jackets that use coatings, such as Event, make the jacket feel colder. Jackets using Membranes, such as Gore-Tex feel warmer. So might be worth factoring that in with how your body “runs” if you care about comfort. I find pit zips brilliant for dumping heat/moisture but it’s a personal preference. 
Also, it being UKC, someone will recommend Paramo....

OP Sealwife 18 Jul 2020
In reply to jezb1:

That Triolet looks good.  Definitely on my list to consider

OP Sealwife 18 Jul 2020
In reply to SFM:

Ha ha, yes.  I do actually have an ancient Paramo smock.  I like the fabric but the fit isn’t good on me, which makes it annoyingly flappy in the wind.

rj_townsend 18 Jul 2020
In reply to Sealwife:

Take a look at the Alpkit Definition - heavy duty and well-specced for the price. I’ve had one for a few years and been very pleased with it.

hbeevers 18 Jul 2020
In reply to Sealwife:

Alpkit Definition is robust and reasonably priced compared to the top brands.

Decathlon Simond or Forclaz jackets are cheaper but still really good. The Simond is particularly robust.

Myfyr Tomos 18 Jul 2020
In reply to Sealwife:

Paramo has always worked for me, but for pure horrible-weather hardshell, you'll not go far wrong with Mountain Equipment Goretex jackets. Superb hoods and only the right bits and bobs. https://www.climbers-shop.com/clothing/waterproofs/female

Run_Ross_Run 18 Jul 2020
In reply to SFM:

> Hi, my tuppence worth is that jackets that use coatings, such as Event, make the jacket feel colder. Jackets using Membranes, such as Gore-Tex feel warmer.

As far as I'm aware event is a membrane (similar to goretex). 

andyd1970 18 Jul 2020
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

I have been wearing Mountain Equipment Jackets for years mainly because of the hoods but I think some of their hoods on some of the new jackets are terrible.

Bought the Gandiva jacket not long ago but after wearing the hood in all sorts of wind and rain, I think ME have got the design wrong with this one.

Can’t see why companies change things that work and that they are renowned for.

The fit, the pockets etc are brilliant.

GrahamD 18 Jul 2020
In reply to SFM:

Event is a membrane, not a coating 

GrahamD 18 Jul 2020
In reply to Sealwife:

In my experience, there is nothing that will keep you dry in a real downpour and still be comfortable to do strenuous walking in.

GrahamD 18 Jul 2020
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

> Paramo has always worked for me, but for pure horrible-weather hardshell, you'll not go far wrong with Mountain Equipment Goretex jackets. Superb hoods and only the right bits and bobs. https://www.climbers-shop.com/clothing/waterproofs/female

Interesting you say that.  I've only owned one ME jacket and the hood wiring keeps creeping round in its sleeve. Because there is a loop on the end of the wire its night on impossible to straighten it.

Dave the Rave 18 Jul 2020
In reply to Sealwife:

I bought the men’s version of this for the same price. Love it, no frills and bomber.
https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiA39XpyNfqA...

PPP 18 Jul 2020
In reply to SFM:

> Hi, my tuppence worth is that jackets that use coatings, such as Event, make the jacket feel colder. Jackets using Membranes, such as Gore-Tex feel warmer. So might be worth factoring that in with how your body “runs” if you care about comfort. I find pit zips brilliant for dumping heat/moisture but it’s a personal preference. 

> Also, it being UKC, someone will recommend Paramo....

Perhaps eVent membrane (not coating) is more breathable, trapping less heat and making it feel colder? 

Wouldn't call that a negative as wearing a jacket in driving rain does not typically suggest cold enough temperatures. Once the jacket starts condensing water, getting damp will make you much colder. That's assuming there's a jacket that will keep water out from coming through the sleeves and top in the driving rain. 

SFM 18 Jul 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

What is your recommendation to the OP dude?

Babika 19 Jul 2020
In reply to Sealwife:

If you're a standard size then there's probably a good choice in womens mountain waterproofs.

If not, like me, you may find it all a depressing experience. 

I recently bought a Rab Firewall to replace my very lightweight Arcteryx Alpha which was no longer wsterproof . The Rab is roomy, robust and very waterproof but the arms seem designed for a gorilla as they are at least 5" too long for me. 

I've considered having them cut at my local tailors but this will create stitch holes. I recommend trying several on in shops or being prepared to buy and send lots back. 

GrahamD 19 Jul 2020
In reply to SFM:

> What is your recommendation to the OP dude?

Realistic expectations. In the driving rain you will get wet.

Kryank 19 Jul 2020
In reply to Sealwife:

https://rab.equipment/uk/women-s-mantra-jacket

I have the men’s version of this (RAB Mantra)  and love it ! Great hud (with or without a helmet) amazing in bad weather, I’d get another tomorrow if I lost it. You can normally find them on offer

Post edited at 09:26
OP Sealwife 19 Jul 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

I have lived in Scotland all my life, on an island not known for its benign climate for about a third of it, been wandering around in mountains for at least 25 years and sometimes even go outside at other times as well.  So I am aware that if it’s tanking it down in a howling gale, some water is going to find it’s way in somewhere, and if I’m exerting myself I might produce some moisture on the inside too.

Perhaps I should have been as specific to say that what I’m after is a jacket that sheds water efficiently, doesn’t wet out in anything more than a drizzle, is more breatheable than a plastic bag and has a hood is capable of fitting over a helmet, a hat and my bare head without having to hold onto it.

Hope that clears things up and thank you all for your suggestions - I’m doing a great job of procrastinating, changing my mind constantly and haven’t bought anything yet.

OP Sealwife 19 Jul 2020
In reply to Babika:

That’s good to know about the Rab Firewall - I had looked at them.  I’m a very short person and the sleeves on just about all jackets are too long for me anyway.

I will definitely be going for a women’s fit as blokes jackets are way too big.  My first mountain jacket was one of those Berghaus ones in the mid 1990s, can’t remember the name of them.  Bright coloured blocks of colour with huge pockets, could almost stand it up on the floor by itself it was so stiff, huuuge hood with no adjustment.  It was a mans small and absolutely enormous. I still have it, fabric still good but seam tapes fell off years ago and the zip packed up.  It saw many Munros, a couple of Alps trips, was a maternity waterproof for three pregnancies and is now for dirty jobs outside or taking the bins out in the rain.

GrahamD 19 Jul 2020
In reply to Sealwife:

Apologies. Unusually for me, I wasn't trying to be a smart arse with my response.  Many people genuinely think they can be active and dry in a downpour.

OP Sealwife 19 Jul 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

Cheers Graham

OP Sealwife 20 Jul 2020
In reply to jezb1:

I’ve ordered a Patagucci Triolet in the weird green colour.  

It should do the job.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...