Whiplash from slipping with trekking poles?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 heleno 14 Jul 2020

I've over 30 years of climbing and walking experience, but I've only recently started using trekking poles - to reduce knee pain when carrying heavy loads.  I've recently sustained an injury which I think may be due to the use of poles, and wondered if anyone has experienced anything similar?

I was walking down a steep path from a crag, carrying a heavy sack of climbing gear, and using my poles on firm mud to steady myself.  I accidentally stepped on a hidden wet tree root and my legs shot down the steep path.  The poles stopped me falling further, but I felt a strange jolt through my spine, and a few hours later I started to experience pain in my (usually very healthy) lower back.

It's still causing me considerable discomfort 3 days later, and I'm wondering if it's some sort of whiplash injury from the poles, since I didn't actually hit the ground.  I can't remember clearly, but it's possible that as the path was so steep, I had the heels of my hands on top of the pole handles, rather than gripping round them.  Perhaps something to avoid in future?

Has anyone done anything similar?  And if so, did it resolve itself or did you need medical / physio treatment?

colinakmc 14 Jul 2020
In reply to heleno:

Sounds like a reasonable chance it’s just muscular strain from a sudden unexpected stress. If it was me (& I spend a large part of my life with lower back pain) I’d take anti inflammatories for a day or two and if it persists, go and see a physio.

Good luck with it anyway

mysterion 14 Jul 2020
In reply to heleno:

Sounds like the jolt you get from 'missing a step'. There won't be a lot of forces from something like that so just keep good posture and give it time, lying down completely flat is the ultimate recovery position for a back injury.

OP heleno 16 Jul 2020
In reply to heleno:

Thanks both!

My back is already  much less painful, so I think you were right that the injury wasn't as serious as I first imagined, thankfully.

But it's certainly got me thinking twice about using trekking poles - on this occasion, at least, I would probably have been better of without them.

colinakmc 16 Jul 2020
In reply to heleno:

You might have been worse off if you’d hit the ground....

Mouflon 17 Jul 2020
In reply to heleno:

I assume you had your hands in the straps when you slipped, so retained hold of the poles.

If so, best to follow what Alpine walkers have done for yonks - on downhill and rough ground, take your hands out of the straps, so that if you slip, you can let go of the poles.

In fact, a lot of us walk without the straps all the time and I've know people cut them off.

Sorry this doesn't answer your question but hopefully may prevent a future problem.

OP heleno 17 Jul 2020
In reply to Mouflon:

Thanks, good tip - I think that was the problem.

wbo2 17 Jul 2020
In reply to heleno: If the pains in your lower back it implies that it came from the sudden impact caused by the slip, then the foot stopping and impacting.  This I've certainly experienced.  The poles are higher up, so any force in the lower back would have been extensive for the lower back.

I'd be inclined to persist with the poles.  I've found them helpful for my dodgy knees

Diddy 17 Jul 2020

I have walked many thousand of miles with poles in some steep stuff in the European Alps and the US Sierra Nevada. I picked this up from somewhere;  going down I use each four points of contact. feet and poles separately like an animal would one hoof/paw after the other. If very steep I would place the poles together at the same time.

Over the years the poles have saved me from falling a fair few times. I presently use PacerPoles as the correct pole holding and upper body position is so much easier to adopt.

Ascending I soon pack the poles as they can get in the way.

Certainly I would carry on using the poles.

Trangia 17 Jul 2020
In reply to Mouflon:

> I assume you had your hands in the straps when you slipped, so retained hold of the poles.

> If so, best to follow what Alpine walkers have done for yonks - on downhill and rough ground, take your hands out of the straps, so that if you slip, you can let go of the poles.

> In fact, a lot of us walk without the straps all the time and I've know people cut them off.

> Sorry this doesn't answer your question but hopefully may prevent a future problem.

Very good advice.

To the OP: You should never have the wrist straps in use in descent, in addition to back injuries like yours, it can lead to breaking a wrist. Straps only for ascent to give additional push.

Hope you make a full and speedy recovery

Wainers44 17 Jul 2020
In reply to heleno:

Decided to run leg 2 of the BGR last weekend. Aim was  to be under 4hrs, so rushing down last descent I slipped a bit.  Stayed upright but jarred down onto wrist and leg on the steep slope. Got down in 3hr 55 so pleased with that.

Obviously whip lash injury all this week. Neck still really stiff and sore. I am sure if I had the poles with me I would have been using them anyway of a fast descent.

richprideaux 17 Jul 2020
In reply to Trangia:

> To the OP: You should never have the wrist straps in use in descent, in addition to back injuries like yours, it can lead to breaking a wrist. Straps only for ascent to give additional push.

I've been hearing this for 15 years - never met someone it has happened to though. Lots of pole joint failures, a couple of partial impalements and even someone who knocked themselves out on the handle, but not wrist fractures.

Neil Williams 17 Jul 2020
In reply to heleno:

Sounds like.  Anything that causes your head to snap back and forth quickly and violently can cause whiplash, doesn't have to be a car crash.

Trangia 17 Jul 2020
In reply to richprideaux:

> I've been hearing this for 15 years - never met someone it has happened to though. Lots of pole joint failures, a couple of partial impalements and even someone who knocked themselves out on the handle, but not wrist fractures.

I was on a walking holiday in the Sierra Aitana a few years ago when one of our party did exactly that - broke his wrist  when he fell awkwardly in descent and couldn't extract the loop from his wrist.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...