Black Cuillin - which trousers?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kalna_kaza 05 Jul 2020

I've done several of the Cuillins in a variety of conditions but I've always been unsure of the best trousers to wear given the abuse likely to be suffered from the sharp rock. 

Are old trousers that you don't care about anymore the best or is wearing the toughest material better?

In reply to Kalna_kaza:

Or to put it another way, perhaps for a different generation, should you wear your best Ron Hills tracksters?

Lightweight, quick drying, cheap and damn near indestructible, tracksters have a lot going for them. Style, less so.

T.

kwoods 05 Jul 2020
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

I honestly don't really think it matters too much as I don't think you need to be scuffing and grazing your legs. Just keep the contact to your hands and feet, and all under control. The soles of your shoes are a different matter though!

In reply to kwoods

You're right there. So, approach shoes or mountain boots?

Mike-W-99 05 Jul 2020
In reply to pancakeandchips:

Apart from my first few visits I’ve always worn approach shoes. 

oliwarlow 05 Jul 2020
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

yes, Ronhills are definitely the 'trouser' of choice for serous days out in Scotland.  Cheap too, so not worries if you do put a whole in them.

Lankyman 05 Jul 2020

> Lightweight, quick drying, cheap and damn near indestructible, tracksters have a lot going for them. Style, less so.

You must have wire-wool tracksters? Mine always end up as holes joined by patches of material. I do love them though and will probably be buried in a pair (not for a while yet I hope). Damn the Fashion Police and their mindless minions!

Dave Barker 05 Jul 2020
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

I’d recommend brown ones - I’m sorry but somebody had to say it and I’m bored!

tehmarks 05 Jul 2020
 Lankyman 05 Jul 2020
In reply to tehmarks:

It's a long time since I had the nerve to appear in public thusly clad (30 years!). There's nothing worse than mutton dressed as lamb, they say, so I'll leave my tights in the draw (yes, I do still have an old pair!).

SouthernSteve 05 Jul 2020
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

Tweed breeches are the way to go. Even Ron Hill's fail as you grip the icy rock with cold-aches in July. 

As you can see I have almost never had good weather on the Cuillin and so have good experience of most of the sea cliffs that weren't quite so disgusting

doz 05 Jul 2020
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

Are you planning to crawl?

In reply to Kalna_kaza:

Always Lederhosen for the Black Cuillin. With a matching leather waistcoat.

Dave the Rave 05 Jul 2020
In reply to oliwarlow:

Troosers

veteye 05 Jul 2020

I must admit that I have tracksters that must be 20 years plus old, and love that they dry quickly after washing. I use them as possibly intended for running, climbing and sometimes on the hill: But in the latter situation the problem is a lack of pockets, even if you have quite a few in your jacket.

Johnhi 06 Jul 2020

A high risk of your arse hanging out through the numerous holes they may or may not pick up.

The Lemming 06 Jul 2020

> Or to put it another way, perhaps for a different generation, should you wear your best Ron Hills tracksters?

I wore Ron Hills every time that I was up there. I wore them for two reasons. The first one was because that's all there was and the second was their magical properties. Ron Hills defied everything that the hill could throw at me.

deepsoup 06 Jul 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

>  There's nothing worse than mutton dressed as lamb, they say

They do?  Well "they" are judgemental wee pricks who don't deserve our attention.  Mutton can dress however it damn well likes and if the lambs don't like it they can just do one.

In reply to Kalna_kaza:

Something synthetic, that is well cut, not too thick, and not black. Mountain Equipment Hope Pants would be a good option. 

Plus very light waterproof trousers for if it rains and you have to bail. 

Footwear wise I always wear scrambling boots like Sportiva Trango Cubes. I find them better for edging, and they protect my ankles from being bashed around by scree. 

tehmarks 06 Jul 2020
In reply to deepsoup:

The lambs should probably put their tops back on and remove their oversize beanies before being recognised as having a valid opinion on the matter.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...