NEW ROUTE CARD: Tyndrum's Five Corbetts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Beinn an Dothaidh and Beinn Achaladair from Beinn A' ChaisteilPerhaps the only Corbett grouping that allows so many to be climbed in a sensible single day, the Tyndrum Five makes a rewarding challenge for connoisseurs of the quality walking to be found below the 3000-foot threshold. It’s a well known route, yet far less threadbare than the more heavily used multi-Munro rounds. Paths are faint and crowds unlikely, and this peace is very appealing... especially at a time when we're all trying to avoid each other.

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=983

Simon Caldwell 02 Jul 2020
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

We did it last year, but tackled Beinn a' Chaisteil direct by the broad SW spur and finishing via the N ridge of Beinn Odhar
https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/e.php?d=20190504&u=2022&i=571...

A great day out, met 2 people all day despite it being a sunny bank holiday weekend. Highlight was getting to the top of a knoll and finding a golden eagle feasting on a sheep's corpse a few feet away down the other side.

skog 02 Jul 2020

We did this over a decade ago, when my wife was four months pregnant with our eldest.

It felt quite a big day due to the significant drops between the hills - although she seemed less knackered than I was at the end, so I reckon it must be easiest done when pregnant.

bonebag 02 Jul 2020

Good advertising Dan. You just sold another copy of Great Mountain Days in Scotland. Looking forward to getting out again sometime : )

Mike-W-99 02 Jul 2020
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Did it a few years ago. Big day, needed chicken curry & chips from the real food cafe to recover.

We started due west of Bein Odhar at the big lay-by. Bit of a slog.

Have also done a variant taking in Beinn Mhanach which was good.

Dave Hewitt 02 Jul 2020
In reply to Mike-W-99:

> Did it a few years ago. Big day, needed chicken curry & chips from the real food cafe to recover.

It is a big day - bigger than many Munro outings. They're all on the watershed, so I did them in one go in 1987 with a camping pack - don't think I could do that now. Also (as a day out) once did Tyndrum-Mhanach-Creag Mhor-back over two of the Corbetts - that can't often be done, but was good as I recall.

kinley2 04 Jul 2020
In reply to Mike-W-99:

We did Beinn Chaorach, Cam Creag and Beinn Challum which is a natural round of Gleann a Chlachain.

Thought about Beinn a Chaisteal, Beinn nam Fuaran and Beinn Mhanach as being a reasonable day.

Never thought the Auch 5 was a very aesthetic route, seems to be one of those forced bagging affairs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...