NEWS: Mountain Hares Gain Protected Status in Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH News 18 Jun 2020
Mountain hare. Getting this close requires a very slow approach, often at a crawl. Be patient!

The Scottish Parliament yesterday voted to give mountain hares special protection. Gamekeepers on grouse moors will no longer be able to carry out mass culls, under which up to 25,000 are thought to be shot each year in Scotland alone. It will now be an offence to kill a mountain hare without a licence.

Read more
 Roberttaylor 18 Jun 2020
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

I've emailed my MSPs three times, this was one of them. Pleased to see it got passed.

>"Mountain hares are thriving on Scotland's moors and their fate will not be improved by this vote. There is clear evidence that the control of hares helps combat tick and Lyme disease and protect plants and young trees. Balanced wildlife management is key to meeting Scottish government targets on biodiversity and tree planting."

You had your chance; you rammed the highlands full of grouse and deer, artificially inflating their numbers by feeding them over winter.

In reply to Roberttaylor:

> protect plants and young trees.

Since when were grouse farmers known for their reforestry work? Last time I saw a grouse moor it was a barren heather desert that they regularly burned. Maybe if Scottish landowners hadn't driven almost every single predator to extinction, and cut down almost every single tree, they would have a balanced ecosystem. What jokers.

Roberttaylor 19 Jun 2020
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

The barefaced cheek would be funny if they hadn't got away with it for so long and done so much damage. 

top cat 19 Jun 2020
In reply to Roberttaylor:

They may well continue to get away with it: illegal to kill hares without a licence.........so who issues the licence and to how many?  And who checks anyway?

I just hope the hares do get actual protection on the ground.  But I have a nasty feeling nothing much will change.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...