Advice on running shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mattyk 11 Jun 2020

I'm after some advice on running shoes. I realise its very difficult as everybody is different but....

I currently have 

Mudclaw 333 These fit well but toe box maybe a bit narrow.

Adidas Terrex Boa - I love these for running on the trails and moors as they are so comfy and light but not sure they are grippy enough on muddy slopes. 

Old Mudroc (the green ones). The heels on these are way to sloppy and wide that i've stopped wearing them ( can't be sure if its age of shoes or something i've always put up with).

I want a pair of shoes for long days in the Lakes - the roclite seems to be the go to but wondered about other brands could be worth trying.

Essentially i want the comfort of the adidas but a little more grip? My usual requirements are cheap as chips but might spend a bit more this time.

Any advice appreciated - Thanks

Queenie 11 Jun 2020
In reply to Mattyk:

The reviews on runrepeat.com help me choose trail shoes. Worth a look.

bouldery bits 11 Jun 2020
In reply to Mattyk:

I think the VJ offering may match your needs.

La Sportiva may be worth a look but they don't seem to have 'big lug' options. 

stuartf 12 Jun 2020
In reply to Mattyk:

I like the roclite for mixed terrain. Not awful on grass/mud unless the sole is really worn, enough protection for stony paths/scree and the big flat lugs mean they feel stable on more rocky stuff too. Used the 305 for lots of the Bob Graham, now have a pair of the 275G but haven't had much opportunity to use them on proper mountains yet. I have fairly wide feet and have settled on half a size up from my normal shoe size.

Dark-Cloud 12 Jun 2020
In reply to bouldery bits:

The Sportiva Mutant has decent lugs.

For the Lakes all i have been using in summer is Salomon Sense Ride or Speedcross if i do need a bit of grip.

Tom Briggs 12 Jun 2020
In reply to Mattyk:

I had a pair of Roclite 315s and am now at 200Km into the 275 G. They're pretty broad in the mid-foot., which suits me but don't feel very cushioned. I take a 10.5 in the Roclites and an 11 in the Mudclaw 300s which are narrower.

I found the VJ Sports too narrow in the toe box, they feel (in the shop) similar to Roclites in terms of cushioning.

Saucony Peregrine?

La Sportiva Kaptiva?

OP Mattyk 12 Jun 2020
In reply to all.

Many thanks for your replies. I'll have a closer look at vj, sportiva and Salomon later. 

The Sportivas mutant and kaptiva look really good.

PPP 12 Jun 2020
In reply to Mattyk:

I haven't been to Lakes and not sure how technical/muddy it gets there. 

Throw Hokas into the mix. Speedgoat for a mushier feeling and narrower foot, Mafate for a firmer ride and wider feel. Both low drop. Those are king of comfort, most of my longest runs (20-50 miles) are done in Hokas. While they don't feel heavy or too sloppy, but hammering technical downhills isn't their forte. I trained through most of the last Scottish winter in them. Perhaps they don't excel in knee deep snow and heavy deep mud.

Salomon Speedcross are also a good shout, but I don't like how they ride - quite high drop and they feel a bit firm on hardpack, yet not really sensitive on any terrain. 

Adidas Kanadia Trail are cheap as chips and have decent lugs. They feel a wee bit on a stiff side, but they seem to cope with anything they face. Rarely my go-to shoe, but I do like them. 

I am yet to find something that's as nimble and grippy as Mudclaws, but a bit more forgiving on longer road sections. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...