REVIEW: Skye's Cuillin Ridge Traverse

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 09 Jun 2020

Skye ridge montage

Written by Skye-based guide Adrian Trendall, Cicerone's new guidebook to the Cuillin Ridge Traverse documents this classic mountaineering adventure to an impressive level of detail, says Dan Bailey.

Read more

coldfell 09 Jun 2020
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

I love the layout and clarity of this guide and look forward to using it as soon as possible.

Dorine

Flinticus 09 Jun 2020

Good review. I may not have done any of the Cuillin (bar a walk up BnF years ago) I know not to bother with a stove etc. for a two day trip outside of winter!  

I'll be getting this as I've been putting rough plans together to 'do' the Cuillin, hopefully a trip this year to make a start. 

Andy Hardy 09 Jun 2020

Out of stock at Needlesport 🙁 c'mon Steve sort it out!

atrendall 09 Jun 2020
In reply to coldfell:

Thanks for your kind words, Dorine. Hope lock down eases off in Scotland soon and you can get a chance to use the guide book in it's natural environment. Enjoy the ridge when the time comes.

atrendall 09 Jun 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Andy, if you want a copy, I can get one in the post tomorrow morning.

Andy Hardy 09 Jun 2020
In reply to atrendall:

email sent!

atrendall 09 Jun 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Seen and sent you details about book.

lithos 09 Jun 2020

colour anomalies are not so rare/niche approx 10% of males.  You should never use hue as your only discriminator,  brightness (ie one dark one light) and pattern, (solid/dashed/dotted) and size (points) are easy to combine with hue when using lines.

looks like a great guide ...

TobyA 10 Jun 2020
In reply to lithos:

I only recently realised in the Rockfax app that there are two different colour ticks on routes you have previously climbed and routes you have attempted but failed on! I think it's green and orange, but I can't see the difference without having my phone incredibly close to my face. It was quite annoying because I thought that it would be an obvious thing to distinguish between routes you have done and routes you have failed on. And of course it was an obvious thing but only to people who aren't colourblind! 

Post edited at 10:24
 lithos 10 Jun 2020
In reply to TobyA:

indeed - this stuff 'aint rocket science, or even neuroscience, it's old hat and developers should not only be aware of it but actively considering it.  There are plenty of website that allow you to test your webpages and see how others nay see it.

Trivial fix for RF app, make the green - darker and the orange lighter or add a thicker outline or something for the next update  maybe....

Mike Pescod 10 Jun 2020

Hi Dan - anyone who does the traverse with me gets a hot dinner, a hot breakfast and lots of cups of tea! A stove is essential, a cup of tea is vital!

In reply to Mike Pescod:

If you carry it all Mike, I'm sold

Forcan Reg 11 Jun 2020

Bah humbug. Anyone wanting to do the ridge should gain their knowledge the hard way. Seriously though, it does look quite a nice book.

Nickwardinsj 14 Jun 2020

Regarding the Cuillin guide book review. Just to add to the reviewer’s comments on red/green color blindness and the challenges caused by poor line color choice on guidebook maps. It affects me also and I don’t consider it a niche issue. Come on publishers, it’s a pretty common affliction for males (1 in 12 -  https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/colour-vision-deficiency/

please be sensitive and use better color variations AS WELL AS LINE TYPE VARIATIONS - EG DASHED VS SOLID LINES). It isn’t hard and would be welcomed by a lot of us

Nick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...