Wild camping in Portland during lockdown

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 slothlord 05 Jun 2020

Hi there, 

My friend are I planning to take a couple of days off next week to do some climbing in Portland. I got a few questions to anyone who been there recently during this lockdown.

Is it still okay do wild camping?

Also somewhere I read that car parking around the island is blocked, is it true? 

Are there any campsites still open for public?

Thanks! 

AJM 05 Jun 2020
In reply to slothlord:

Has it ever been okay to wild camp on Portland? I'm not convinced it ever has.

Also, as per all the lockdown regulations, you aren't allowed to stay away from your home overnight. Because of this there won't be any campsites open.

So on many counts I think it's probably not a goer....

Gerry 05 Jun 2020
In reply to slothlord:

I wonder where you've been hiding since March? The regulations have not changed so here it is again from the .gov website:

You must not: stay away from your own home overnight, except for in a limited set of circumstances, such as for work purposes

will_mcmahon 05 Jun 2020
In reply to slothlord:

Wild camping is illegal on Portland in normal times never mind in a pandemic also the car parks were blocked last time I went. Theres trying not to piss off the locals and then there's this. 

Cyrees 05 Jun 2020
In reply to slothlord:

It's only just okay to climb on Portland again. Talking to some of the local climbers they've been very clear that it's definitely not okay to camp yet... so don't do it.

OP slothlord 05 Jun 2020
In reply to Gerry:

These BMC guidelines (https://www.thebmc.co.uk/can-i-start-climbing-and-hill-walking-again) made us think that we could go climbing next week but since I just read the following well-articulated post we decided to wait for a few more weeks.

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/rock_talk/climbing_on_portland_-_a_locals...

GGD 05 Jun 2020
In reply to slothlord:

Disclaimer - Ditto all said above.

However good bivvy spots can be found all along the central ridge of the Cuttings  Boulderfield. The Highball Wall is also quiet and there flat space for two to bivvy there. Don't stay in the stone huts, they're usually a little on the grim side.

The Southwell Landslips are also pretty quiet most of the time and rarely frequented even by climbers.

Most secluded and considerate bivvy spots are to be found in Battleship beach area.

Alternatively consider bivvying down at Winspit, lots of excellent secluded bivvy spots to be found down there.

Post edited at 19:06

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...