Beal Legend Half Ropes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hard Hawk 31 May 2020

After a pair of half ropes for summer cragging mainly on sea cliffs. Came across the Beal Legends in the rockrun sales and was wondering if anyone had experience with them. Being 8.3mm not sure if they'll wear out super quick so would be interested to hear folks thoughts on durability and how they handle.

Ta

Post edited at 22:24
 John1458 31 May 2020
In reply to Hard Hawk:

I've not got any experience of the beal legends, but needlesports have the Mammut phoenix 8.0mm classics at £47.50 for 50m. Same treatment level as the beal's but even cheaper. I've used the dry treated version of the phoenix and found them really durable, been used for trad in the UK and a little bit of alpine climbing over the last 3 years, though I'm not sure how much less durable the classic non dry treated versions are. I think the general consensus is mammut ropes are a little stiffer and more durable, whereas beal ropes are more supple and a bit less durable. Though someone may come along and disagree!

OP Hard Hawk 31 May 2020
In reply to John1458:

Yeah the Mammut phoenix keeps popping up when I'm searching and everyone seems to rave about them. My only concern would be I've only used 8.6mm half ropes before so not sure if the phoenix being 8mm would feel a bit too slick when belaying

John1458 01 Jun 2020
In reply to Hard Hawk:

I can't say I've had any issues with them feeling a bit slick paired with my DMM pivot. No problems belaying and I don't have to grip hard when abseiling. 

mrphilipoldham 01 Jun 2020
In reply to Hard Hawk:

I bought a pair of 60s some time over Winter to chop down to 30s for grit cragging. They're holding up quite well, but they haven't exactly seen lots of usage what with lockdown and all. I like them. 

John Kelly 01 Jun 2020
In reply to Hard Hawk:

https://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Climbing-Equipment/Rock-Trad-Climbin...

just bought a pair, cheap as chips, tough as old boots, very slick but that's not necessarily a problem just get the correct size plate, means your rope runs great when the line isn't straight.

my last few pairs have done very roughly 500 routes a piece, they are only semi retired, they look ok and would still happily climb on them

In reply to Hard Hawk:

... I've used Mammut Phoenix (8mm x 50m) ever since they were first introduced years ago... in my experience, they last just as long as any of the 8.5mm ropes I owned previously, they are lighter and take up less room in your pack... what's not to like...???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...