NEWS: Returning to Welsh Hills and Mountains - A Message from MRTs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH News 30 May 2020

Following the Welsh Government's announcement yesterday that people from two separate households would be allowed to meet outdoors and exercise within a rule-of-thumb travel distance of five miles, Mountain Rescue teams in Wales have released a joint statement for walkers and climbers.

Read more
 Sl@te Head 30 May 2020
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

I really hope I'm wrong, but I'm not sure the above statement is correct, as far as I'm aware exercise must still start and finish from home.

nufkin 30 May 2020
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

I'm curious as to the requirement to wear full waterproofs throughout a potential rescue. What's normal practice in summer conditions, and why wouldn't that be okay?

jezb1 30 May 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

From the government advice:

"Can I travel to do sports outside my local area?

If your preferred form of exercise or leisure is one that can only be undertaken in specific locations, this still needs to be carried out locally. Examples of this might include golf, angling or watersports. If there is a place where you can do these within your local area, then you are free to do so, but it would not be permissible to drive outside your local area for these purposes."

It goes on to say more, but I read that as travel within the 5 miles (what local refers to) is fine. I'll be driving to climb some days, but I'm quite enjoying biking and walking there at the moment.

John2 30 May 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Have a look at the section entitled Can I travel to do sports outside my local area in this document https://gov.wales/changes-coronavirus-regulations-1-june-frequently-asked-q... . The implication is that travel within your local area will be OK from Monday.

Sl@te Head 30 May 2020
In reply to jezb1 & John 2

Thanks

So glad I bolted all those routes at Benllech and Fedw Fawr now!

Slate Quarries are ok if I park my car in Deiniolen

dilatory 30 May 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

When I was reading this I was thinking the best way to interpret it in the North (compared to Cardiff which is the limit of Welsh govts vision) is what feel "local" to me. Bethesda, Ogwen feels local, the closer I get to Capel the less so. Llanberis doesn't feel local even though it's as close really. Same for most of Anglesey I suppose. 

JoshOvki 30 May 2020
In reply to nufkin:

Normal is trousers & t-shirt (standard walking attire). I believe it is to act as a vapour barrier (same as doctors and nurses etc wear aprons) and means once back down the outer layer can be removed, bagged and washed.

nufkin 30 May 2020
In reply to JoshOvki:

Carrying a casualty in this weather, dressed in full waterproofs, must be ghastly. I hope windproofs would be acceptable as an alternative, at least

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...