Crag Pack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Amroly-Poly 29 May 2020

Looking for a duffel style pack,

deciding between the Metolius Crag Station and BD stone duffel 42 any others i am missing before i decide 

thanks 

GoneFishing111 29 May 2020
In reply to Amroly-Poly:

Patagonia Cragsmith is pretty good.

climber34neil 30 May 2020
In reply to Amroly-Poly:

Petzl kliff is excellent and very good value

cwarby 02 Jun 2020
In reply to Amroly-Poly:

Personally, love my Moon Aerial. The zip all the way down, excellent.

sihills 02 Jun 2020
In reply to Amroly-Poly:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/climbing-bag-rockbag-35-l-id_8495285.html

Decathlon crag bag. I have the previous version. Very good bag and fantastic value!

TobyA 03 Jun 2020
In reply to Amroly-Poly:

UKC will have reviews of the new Lowe ones https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/rucksacks/medium/lowe_alpines_rucksack_revo... very soon. The big one looks a lot like the Arcteryx one I reviewed almost a decade ago and still use for all my crag climbing - https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/rucksacks/medium/crag_packs_for_trad_climbe... my friend still uses the Grivel one for all his cragging too - so get a good one and you'll get years and years of hard use out of it. I still think they are great idea particularly as many people are getting lighter and lighter mountain sacks for winter climbing or alpine etc. Of course its more money, but you can expect your light mountain pack to last a lot longer if you only use it for that whilst you lug all your gear to crags in some heavier duty crag pack.

ianstevens 03 Jun 2020
In reply to Amroly-Poly:

Blue Ikea Bag, only 50p

Yellow if you're 'ard and manage to rob one

Post edited at 15:30
 HeMa 04 Jun 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

It's still  REQUIREMENT... even with the crag pack...

Being a gear wh0re, I have numerous ones and pick the one I need.

Numerous smaller climbing sacks (most often Blue Ice Warhthog 26) if the approach is long (so not really a crag sack per se).

Blue Ice Octopus (similar to the Grivel Rocker/Decathlon one, but a tad flimsier fabric), bolt clipping or air travel (works as a carry on luggage). Also for headpointing (limited space, but enough for a small rack).

Camp something rope bag, fits a 50m static rope and limited rack... nice if going out on a solo mission to practice a route (or clean new ones).

BD Pipe Dream, got more use when the kids still needed their nappies changed.  Now get's more use as my mixed craggin' sack... the mini pad makes a really nice insulated matters to sat on.

Grivel mid sized haul bag... the work horse, fits a big rack, rope and harnesses/shoes for 2-3 persons... wife carries then the water and grub (and toys for the kids). Also, can be rigged as a kid proof swing (hang high enough, place kid inside and swing it... no way the kid can get out and thus one less kid to look after..)

And as said, a few Ikea bags are a charm... I have at least one for the rope and another for gear (rack)... makes packing stuff easy as well as moving from sector to sector...

In reply to GoneFishing111:

> Patagonia Cragsmith is pretty good.

I'm quite fancying one of these but can't decide on size. 

GoneFishing111 04 Jun 2020
In reply to becauseitstherethe 

The 32L is what i have, well had actually as i just sold it, along with the rest of my rack. Perfect for the job i thought.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...