Buying new running trainers online

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 15 May 2020

I'm trying to pick new running trainers online and I'm struggling because every set of reviews contains perfectly opposing opinions so they all cancel each other out

I've got some relatively cheap Asics Gel Pulse 10s which have served me well but I think they need replacing. I have no idea how to pick them! I've deduced I've probably got neutral gait... I run about  2 x 10km a week but might do a half marathon occassionally... I rolled my ankle last year so I instinctively feel like a lower heel is safer (but I could be wrong!) 

Someone please take my money and pick me some trainers!! (or just recommend me some to look at! <£100)

girlymonkey 15 May 2020
In reply to elliot.baker:

Buy second hand on ebay or Facebook then you don't lose much if you don't like them

OP elliot.baker 15 May 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Interesting ... won't they be all worn out and smelly though!?!?

girlymonkey 15 May 2020

Not at all. Many people buy in sales online, wear them for a couple of runs and decide they are no good. I have rarely bought new trainers, most of mine are second hand (better environmentally too). I occasionally have to resell them but often get on well with them. 

Look up the Facebook group "running items for sale or wanted", for example. There are others, but this often has good stuff on it.

Post edited at 13:39
 TMM 15 May 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

I'd be very wary of buying second hand road shoes on eBay.

Trail shoes tend to show wear pretty quickly due to their environment. My road shoes can look immaculate after 500 miles of summer road running yet the support and cushioning is shot.

OP, have a look at places that offer free returns. Buy multiple pairs and try them around the house. Have a look on runrepeat which scrapes the web for shoes reviews and brings them into one place. Still subjective but it might help make you a shortlist.

In reply to girlymonkey:

I found one of the exact pair I was looking at for sale in the next town ... only worn once he says !

deepsoup 15 May 2020

> Someone please take my money and pick me some trainers!!

You could do a lot worse than having a chat with Stuart or Debs at the 'Accelerate' shop in Sheff.  They're pretty good at matching people up with the right shoes.  Obviously it's not going to be as good as visiting the shop, but they'll have had a fair bit of practice at doing that 'online' by now..

https://www.accelerateuk.com/covid-19.php

SouthernSteve 15 May 2020
In reply to deepsoup:

Or if you are south Derbyshire, Phil at running form in Burton on Trent, if there is a good possibility you will follow up afterwards with a visit.

https://www.running-form.co.uk

In reply to TMM:

Ok slightly spooky - gone on RunRepeat > Road Running reviews;

First pair - Nike Pegasus which is what the live chat person told me to get on sportsshoes

Second pair - Asisc Gel Pulse 11 - the newest version of my current trainers... maybe the world is telling me something - I should just get these since the 10's treated me so well, and they're cheap.

TMM 15 May 2020

There you go, god, and algorithms, work in mysterious ways!

daftdazza 15 May 2020

Go for Nike Pegasus, seem to be the standard neutral gait shoe that has been around for years, tried and tested, and usually good discounts available on old models available online, I have used them for over 20 years, and work well for me.

DH3631 15 May 2020

If your current shoes fit well, apart from being worn out, safest bet is probably just to get a new pair of the latest version. Just had to get new running shoes online myself, having had a couple of pairs of mizuno wave riders before, I ordered a new pair, same size, fitted perfectly straight out of the box. I don't have any particular attachment to Mizuno so normally would have been happy to go with any alternative that fitted me, but was really keen to get out running so didn't want to waste time sending stuff back.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...