ME Gandiva vs rab spark

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ial103 05 May 2020

I realise this might not be the most obvious comparison to make but I'm trying to choose between these two waterproofs. I've got them both and happy with the the size and fit of both. It's a question of which to return. It'll be my posh waterproof for trying hard (ie. long runs in the lakes) or ski touring/mountaineering trips.

The mountain equipment gandiva is reduced to same price as the spark. My last coat was an ME goretex paclite and lasted well (12 years), the gandiva seems an evolution of that, 100g lighter but otherwise the "safe bet" of the two.

The Rab spark feels great on, stretchy waterproof fabric sounds too good to be true. I prefer where the pockets are on the Rab too but I'm a bit sceptical about how well pertex shield+ is going to last - although both coats claim to be 2.5 layer and weigh about the same (360g). The spark is clearly a tougher implementation of pertex shield than say montane minimus but even with careful use is it going to die much sooner than the paclite plus in the gandiva?

Rab seem to be ditching pertex in favour of goretex (although most of the comments seem to be focusing on eVent):

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/gear/the_next_generation_of_rab-709956

It makes me wonder if pertex has been a bit of a costly mistake for them? I've seen a couple of other posts where people say Rab charge/spark has died sooner than expected

So what am I expecting from people? I think if someone said you'll be blown away by how much more comfy/breathable the spark is vs crispy old paclite plus when you're working hard, that'd swing me into taking a punt on the spark. Equally if people say the spark will be leaking in no time or the gandiva will last twice as long, that'll send me the other way.

Any thoughts/advice appreciated

Cheers

Ian

DaveHK 05 May 2020
In reply to ial103:

I had a spark from a few years ago and it was dire, leaked like a sieve almost from the word go.

I now have a Gandiva and it's been great.

Not sure I'd use either for mountaineering but it depends how you define it.

gwared 06 May 2020
In reply to ial103:

I've always liked my spark jacket (bought 2017) except for the strangely short sleeves my version has. So it's not very good for hiding hands when the weather is kicking off.

I've liked it for it's breathability and feeling against the skin, and find it about as good as you can expect from a waterproof for running in. It's feels much better to sweat in that my goretex pro shell.

In saying that the material is not robust, it's a soft face fabric and has bobbled where straps rub against it. Stashing it in my bag inside it's own pocket has resulted in a small hole being worn in it from my pot/stove.

Personally I'm replacing it with a paclite plus jacket (tupilak atmo), mostly because of the short sleeves that I hate. I don't know if it will be better/worse than the spark! 

gneiss boots 06 May 2020
In reply to ial103:

My wife has a Spark and it has turned out to be not very waterproof at all over the 2 years of light use it has had. We are ordinarily big fans of Rab but not this time.

Larefia 06 May 2020
In reply to ial103:

Stretchy waterproof fabric sounds too good to be true.

It is to good to be true

I'm a bit sceptical about how well pertex shield+ is going to last

It won't last

The Spark is no more durable than tissue paper and slightly less waterproof! Destroyed mine in 8 hours wearing a small rucksack.

Fortunately the retailer saw my point of view and allowed me to return the jacket and even swap it for the ME which is still going strong.

OP ial103 06 May 2020
In reply to Larefia:

Thanks to you all for the comments - super helpful, I wasn't expecting "next day" service so that's much appreciated

Decision made, go with the gandiva.

Yes my mountaineering is mostly at the softer "continental" end of the spectrum than Scottish gnar.

Shame that the Rab spark has been a bit of a fail then for people. Fair play to rab for trying something different but not fair to people who paid their money for a sub standard coat.

Cheers,

Ian

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...