3 season hard shell advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 05 May 2020

Thinking of upgrading my old NF Paclite shell. Use a tupliak for winter and vile weather and it’s awesome so fancy a look at a Tupilak Atmo. Any body use one and rate it( particularly for rain resistance) 

Use is primarily For on hills and scrambling in 3 seasons

Any alternatives, with reasons why, invited please 

Cheer

stu 

mff513 08 May 2020
In reply to Removed Userplodding painter:

Probs better off going with something without ME's 40d gore pro material on as it delaminates quite badly as my lhotse has done, perhaps look at some of the rab or mammut stuff 

beanieman 09 May 2020
In reply to Removed Userplodding painter:

I recommend investing in either an extremely lightweight emergency jacket and a good softshell or a standard Goretex shell, as in the summer, spring, and autumn I would mainly use a softshell as there is no need because it is not as likely to rain. (and everyone has to admit that a waterproof jacket can't actually be breathable) The montane alpine shift jacket is an excellent option as it is lightweight, packable, and also durable. it is about halfway between an emergency shell and a hardshell jacket. a good tip for any montane kit is to look at the eBay seller MountainKit. they sell montane samples at great prices. I would also recommend trying to find Polartec neo-shell, it's lightweight, and according to my dad, more breathable than gore-tex, however, it is not very durable. another ultralight option would be the outdoor research helium 2 jacket.

another option is the marmot precip or the Patagonia torrentshell, they are both very cheap and relatively lightweight. My dad used to have the Precip and he said it's one of the best shells he has ever owned. and because it is cheap, you can abuse the hell out of it without worrying too much about it. Also, Patagonia has a lifetime warranty for everything, so no matter what, they will repair your kit or replace it.

I also used to use a standard Goretex shell, I used one for all-season usage for climbing and hillwalking, as they are light, but will definitely (speaking from personal experience) survive hail, strong rain wind, snow, etc. For example the Patagonia calcite jacket. (the one I used was the ME quarrel, still up for sale and in pretty good condition so message if you are interested (size small btw)) 

Personally I would go for the montane alpine shift for 3 or even all-season use and invest the money in a quality softshell such as the montane dyno-stretch, it is an excellent combo and will serve you a long time. If you haven't used a Montane kit before it is absolutely bomber, probably even better than more expensive brands such as Arcteryx. 

Removed User 11 May 2020
In reply to beanieman:

Certainly a comprehensive list of possibilities to investigate there. 
I have used some Montane gear before. Had a montane alpine fast pack that was bomber but also had an Atomic lightweight shell that wasn’t so much. It only kept very light rain out for 20 mins. Maybe a dodgy batch? 
I do like their synthetic base layers a lot.

big fan of Patagonia too. Love my Houdini windshell 

i will do my homework and await the reopening of the shops to go and try some

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...