Hip artheritis, running and poles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kedvenc72 04 May 2020

Got moderate to severe hip artheritis (diagnosed 1 year ago), I'm 47. I've not stopped running and to be honest it's not too bad when running with a slight change of stride (walking is worse for some reason) but can't do long runs anymore (8 miles+ for me). I want to keep running in the hills for as long as I can enjoy it.

I'm sure there are plenty with experience of this and particularly wondering if they've used poles to run with and if they think it has helped (in terms of helping with pain, gait and if they think it has slowed/reduced progression etc? Anecdotal is fine obviously!

cheers.

petemeads 04 May 2020
In reply to kedvenc72:

I borrowed a pole to help me walk around Malham just before my second hip replacement, and on the strength of that bought a pair. I used them as a pair once crutches were unnecessary, again just walking, then started taking one pole when in the hills, jogging the downs and for extra support down scrambly gulleys. Whenever it got to running on the flat I just carried the pole rather than placing it like a skier.

Currently I do not generally use poles while running, but carrying one just in case makes sense to me. Some of the fast hillrunners use pacer poles, I can see the benefit of supporting the weight of an arm whilst making a step, but I prefer not to bother. Think about getting your hip(s) fixed - modern replacements are really good!

OP kedvenc72 04 May 2020
In reply to petemeads:

Thanks Pete.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...