Mountain Literature Classics: No Picnic on Mount Kenya

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
We've got no topo, but we do have this canned meat label...

To experience the real freedom of the mountains, you've just got to break out of a prison camp to get to them, says Ronald Turnbull, of this enduring account of DIY mountaineering from World War Two. With lockdown still in progress we can all empathise, but don't be tempted to emulate Benuzzi's feat!

Read more
 Doug 27 Apr 2020
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

Thanks for that reminder of a book I think I have in storage but haven't seen for many years. But although I can remember the text, I don't think my edition had the watercolours, were they left out of the British edition ?

JohnnyW 27 Apr 2020

Only recently read it, and was in awe of their tenacity, bravery and sheer bloody-mindedness. A great read.

The watercolours seem to have been added only in 2015 Maclehose edition (cheap and easy to get second hand online). Sadly, they've been reproduced really, really small.

lex 27 Apr 2020

A friend I hadn't seen for years sent this book to me out of the blue, and I hadn't heard if it before it arrived. So a double pleasure to read such an enjoyable book, full of adventure, hardship and over-coming obstacles. And as the review says written in the understated style of the 1940's, 1950's eras 

Thoroughly recommend the book, glad it's getting more exposure.

Cheers,

Lex

A book I go back and read every now and again and a place I will have to go back to.

My dad had a mid life crisis and went to work in a hospital for a few years when I was mid teens so I spent a school year plus some extra trips out there. The school was used as a POW camp during the war and still had some murals done by the Italian POWs on the walls. I walked to the top of Lenana whilst out there, and I have the ice axe the guide gave me on my living room wall. Dad had 3 attempts but never got to the top. Closest he got was Austrian hut, he says the tea on offer from another group was more tempting than the last little bit to the top! He has also said that I've got to get him to the top on his "final trip" so he'd better stop spending my inheritance if he wants that to happen!

DerwentDiluted 28 Apr 2020

The sequel is even better - 'No Picnic on Malham Cove' by Dave from Accrington.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...