Garden camping on lockdown

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Has anyone done any ?

I see Alpkit are selling garden bivvy kits a bit cheaper.

I am considering it myself as I've got a nice big garden all behind the largest hedge on my row of houses. 

Fire pit for warmth and folding mini bbq for food and I'll be sorted. 

Looking like beautiful weather again this coming week.

TWS

wercat 19 Apr 2020
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

unfortunately it would have led to asphyxiation if I'd tried it yesterday and last night - someone is burning plastic waste again

Had to sleep with the windows shut

but it is a nice idea.  In warm weather a basha is enough for luxury

Post edited at 09:48
 SenzuBean 19 Apr 2020

We've got a nice camping spot in the backyard under some cliffs - we camped there a couple of weeks ago:
https://imgur.com/a/oFR2Vvk

But there's a rock that makes it a bit too cramped for the tent, so I was chopping the rock up. But after spending many days chopping, using whatever tools I had on hand (not the right ones!), I've become fond of the rock and decided to turn it into a chair. But I'm unsure how to drag it out of the way, especially with a lack of suitable anchors to rig a winch from - so maybe it will need to get chopped up entirely.

Siward 19 Apr 2020

Yes, I bivied in the garden a couple of weeks ago on one of those cold clear starlit nights. Very nice it was too.. 

skog 19 Apr 2020

We did it last night, as it happens, trying out our new Macpac Hemisphere! I'm very happy with it and can hardly wait to have some family camping in the hills now.

But I don't actually like camping, as such - it's a means to an end, and the end is not available just now.

The girls love it, though; they've already spent three nights camping in the garden about a week ago!

The weather has been remarkably good. It's really frustrating on one hand - the North West seems to be having an amazing run of it - but on the other hand it has made gardening, and our daily walks, very pleasant.

marsbar 19 Apr 2020

For boring and complicated reasons my camping kit and I are not in the same place.  I’ve seen quite a few pictures from friends with kids who are garden camping.  

Lankyman 19 Apr 2020

I often car camp so I could put the back seat down and imagine I'm in the back end of beyond. Then again, I'd have to set up a sprinkler to get the true experience.

PPP 19 Apr 2020

> I see Alpkit are selling garden bivvy kits a bit cheaper.

I paid £30 for Hunka, now it's £41.99 (down from £49.99). Granted, I bought it many years ago, but makes me wonder if these are Sports Direct discounts! 

nathan79 19 Apr 2020
In reply to PPP:

Like most of their stuff the price has crept up slowly over the years, there is a current discount deal on the bivvy stuff.

Derry 19 Apr 2020

Yep, lots of camping so far and lots more planned. Homeschool next week we have 'expedition day'. No actual hiking as such, but my girls and I are camping out for a couple of nights and doing all classes and stuff outdoors. So we have to plan what to take, food, stove, mats etc. to last the duration. The only luxury I'm giving them is that they can go inside to use the toilet. When I say luxury, I'm saving the garden really. 

Toerag 19 Apr 2020

Yep, camped with my young kids in my 45yr old Force 10 for 2 nights easter weekend, was great. 

Word of warning though, someone I know noticed movement in the tent in their garden a couple of days ago to discover a drunken couple shagging in it at 3 o'clock in the afternoon!

BusyLizzie 19 Apr 2020

I have a lovely little tent in which a absolutely no-one else is allowed, not even my husband (and he is way too big for my temt and doesn't like camping). So camping in the back garden might be regarded as a bit anti-social. Tempting, though, in this lovely weather.

Babika 19 Apr 2020

We've camped out 3 nights - and we don't have any kids! Its just quite refreshing waking up outside and breaks up the lockdown monotony. 

And its not far to go for a coffee and a bacon sarnie in the morning

The bad news is cat walked around yowling one night then leapt at the tent. There was a big bang and we woke in the morning to a big hole. 

Snyggapa 19 Apr 2020
In reply to Toerag:

Ah, the old Vango force 10, a legendary tent of it's time, however I recon the garden is about as far as I would manage to be able to carry one these days

Good shout.

Bob Kemp 19 Apr 2020
In reply to Babika:

Bloody hell! What kind of cats do you have around there?!

In reply to Derry:

That's sounds brilliant. 

I'd like to have thought I would have been good at homeschooling and teaching.  

Alas . The universe deems me to defective and undeserving to ever have a partner or family of my own.

Such is the merit of my existence.

andrew breckill 20 Apr 2020

Garden bivvy is fun, plus it confuses the hell out of ones cats. The took it in turns to sit on my chest and stare at me. I fancy one of those canvas bell tents and filling it with bean bags if this lock downs going to last the summer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...