Testing and PPE

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 16 Apr 2020

Just a positive spin on this issue. I have been working in a care home and was sent home on Tuesday with a sore throat. W

have PPE, including goggles and masks, no restrictions on use. We are free to choose when to use them (for low risk scenarios, it's a toss up between the benefit of wearing PPE vs scaring someone with dementia, it's not always clear cut). 

I have also just had a swab test and results will be back in 24 - 48 hours. It all seemed very efficient. 

I'm not saying at all that this is the case everywhere, but just nice for people to hear that it's not all doom and gloom and awful conditions.

Hope you are all staying well!

skog 16 Apr 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

> I have also just had a swab test

It tickles, doesn't it? I had a brief hysterics fit after mine, which at least amused the lady doing the test.

I'm glad things are set up well for you. I'd wish you good luck on getting a negative, but actually it'd probably be better if it was positive and you just have a mild case!

OP girlymonkey 16 Apr 2020
In reply to skog:

I'm not sure I would describe it as tickling, but an odd sensation definitely. I felt like it was at the extreme end of the sensation of needing to sneeze. It was unpleasant but not painful for me. It may depend on the skill of the person doing the swab!

The Lemming 16 Apr 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

You have my upmost respect with working in a Care Home.

At least I can drive off after I have dealt with my patient, and wipe them from my memory, of sorts. You are with your patients day in and day out.

Stay safe. 😀

Edit

I used to be Carer before this job and my current job be is far less stressful.

Post edited at 12:40
In reply to The Lemming:

I'm not finding it stressful, it is a small home so maybe that helps? 

I have come home and had a cry at the cruelty of old age and dementia. I'm fine when I am there though and I am commuting by bike which is giving me head clearing time. It definitely helps. 

I have no desire to do it long-term, I will be glad when outdoor work resumes, but I am happy with it as an option to get me through this lockdown.

The Lemming 16 Apr 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

As a nation we treat our old like shit. This current situation just highlights how we, as a nation, hide away our old to forget about them.

In reply to The Lemming:

I don't think that is a fair comment. Many of these people in our home would struggle to live in a family home. Mobility wise, many need adaptions which would be difficult in your average home, many have special beds to reduce bed sores, some use hoists or stand aids to get up. They need constant physical care which not all families are able to provide between work and caring for kids etc. Many of our residents need two people even for basic toileting and washing, and that is in a well adapted environment.

Some get violent and aggressive as they get confused and scared due to their dementia, so not appropriate if kids are in the house. 

Our home has a nurse in 24 hours a day to deal with all the complicated medical needs. 

I don't feel these people are "put away", most have family who are desperate to see them, their rooms are full of cards, letters and photos, and in normal times their families come in very regularly. 

I get the feeling our home is an expensive one (I haven't asked), so that maybe changes the feel of the place quite a lot.

The Lemming 16 Apr 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

>  I don't think that is a fair comment. 

Please do not feel that I am in any way having a pop at Nursing Homes or Residential Homes.

In 17 years , I have seen the good and bad in all walks of society. Old age is a curse not a blessing and every day I see my future. I see old people at home who do not see a living soul for weeks or months at a time and I am the only person they see.

i feel like I am rambling on and digging a bigger hole for myself but it does get me down when I see how old people are treated and hidden away from society.

In Italy the old are treated like royalty by the family unit. This country is just different with fragmented families for a miriad of reasons.

For me, it's the worst part of my job and I bend over backwards to help in what ever way I can.

Post edited at 13:43
 David Riley 16 Apr 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

I'm glad you posted that.  Having a relative in a care home leaves you feeling guilty about it.  Whatever you do.  Often anything you do is not helpful.

In reply to The Lemming:

Yes, the aging process is definitely cruel, and particularly so when there is dementia involved too. Some of the conversations I have with them are heartbreaking. All we can do is try to make sure we treat our elderly as well as we can and try to make their last years as comfortable as we can. 

For some, that means caring for them at home and for others a care home is the best place. 

In reply to David Riley:

Don't feel guilty, if it's the right decision for your relative then that's all that matters. I'm sure the staff will be doing their utmost to care for them.

Our senior care assistant's granny is a resident in our home. I'm sure she wouldn't have her granny in there if it wasn't the best place for her!

krikoman 16 Apr 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Glad you're getting PPE, my mate runs 4 care homes and they've just got PPE for three of them so he's having to travel around spreading it out (hopefully just the PPE), this is the first in 4-5 weeks I think, so hopefully it'll continue.

David Riley 16 Apr 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Yes, that's right.  My father had dementia.  It was very difficult for his partner to make him go to a care home. You've put me in prison, he'd say.  But he would step into traffic and was not manageable.  She could not cope.  The rest of the family feel they should take over.  But it becomes impossible. 

In reply to David Riley:

Yes, it can't ever be an easy decision. I really feel for people having to do it. 

russellcampbell 16 Apr 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Well done in having courage to work in a care home  and thanks for a bit of good news.

Stichtplate 16 Apr 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

First shift of a new block this morning and before I'm off station I get fit tested for the respirators we've been using for the last 6 weeks, which is good. What's not so good is my wonky face only fits one out of three models tested. Still, can't blame the firm for that and luckily my personal stock of FFP3 is the same model that actually works on my face. Into stores to stock up and the only tyveks we have are XXL, just about manageable for me but totally comical on my 5ft 3 crew mate. We both agreed though that XXL is better than XXS.

What's even better is the fact that people aren't being forced into attending confirmed CV19 in the totally inappropriate surgical mask/dinner lady pinny combo. Unison and GMB both have crews backs on this, we're being allowed to risk assess and suit up accordingly and more importantly, management aren't pushing the issue, but then issues are hard to push if you're devoid of legs to stand on. Fingers crossed, we seem to be getting by.

marsbar 16 Apr 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

Pleased to hear it.  

deepsoup 16 Apr 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

> We both agreed though that XXL is better than XXS.

Dumb question possibly - I've seen lots of bits and bobs on social media about a cottage industry that's sprung up of people making masks, scrubs etc.. at home.  Are the tyveks washable/reusable?  Could you hook up with such a person in your area and get a couple of the XXL ones taken in to fit your mate better?

> Fingers crossed, we seem to be getting by.

Glad to hear it.  Best of luck to you.

Stichtplate 16 Apr 2020
In reply to deepsoup:

Cheers for the thought but they're strictly one use, cut em off and bin. 

Edit: I've noticed Arcteryx have started making surgical gowns though. If anyone can hook me up PM me

Post edited at 23:02
OP girlymonkey 17 Apr 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

That's great news, pleased to hear it. 

Stay safe out there and thanks for your hard work!

Ridge 17 Apr 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

Tyvek tapes up pretty well. Your colleague could tape up the legs and put a fold in at the back.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...