REVIEW: Polartec Power Air

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 14 Apr 2020

It's probably best suited to more casual country walking

Microfibre pollution has become a hot topic in recent years, and conventional synthetic fleeces are big contributors. Polartec's Power Air fabric massively reduces this shedding. But what's it like for serious outdoor use? 

Read more

TobyA 14 Apr 2020
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

> I've had a Power Air hoody made by a brand called Houdini (no, me neither)

<puts hand up/> I have sir! I have!

Houdini are Swedish - quite hipster-y with a dash of hippy. Or maybe quite hippy with a dash of hipster. Definitely not cheap but they've always been very keen on being as environmentally sustainable as possible and that's a big bit of their brand.

ben b 14 Apr 2020
In reply to TobyA:

Mrs B has long, long arms which mean her jacket sleeves end to rise up her wrists. She was quite excited to find some Houdini Powerstretch wrist warmer sleeve things in a Naturkompaniet store in Stockholm about 15 years ago. Still going strong! As indeed are the sleeves.

Houdini popped up at SportPursuit recently so they must be making a push into the UK...

That weight is huge! You could get a large Nano-Air hoody for 376g, almost half the weight and you know it's going to be massively warmer.

Flinticus 15 Apr 2020

Well, its great to see an outdoor material manufacturer taking the whole micro-plastic thing seriously. 

In my normal wear I've largely switched to natural fibres because of this and infrequently wash my man-made fabric outdoor kit (aside from my baselayer which can be stinking - then again, my preferred baselayers are merino wool)

wbo2 15 Apr 2020
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:As an aside - how do you know?

I'm surprised that Houdini was an unknown brand... outside Sweden Norway I've seen a lot of their stuff on Germans

In reply to wbo2:

It's simply a loft thing. Primaloft (or equivalents) will always be warmer for it's weight than fleece. Even more so in this case. Do you have a lightweight synthetic? They almost weight nothing yet the warmth they give for their weight is amazing. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...