Price of ropes in 1979

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
DANDREWS 10 Apr 2020

A 45metre rope was between £30 and £50 in 1979 and a Friend was £8  then.I was just wondering why the rope was so expensive compared to the cam. 

In reply to DANDREWS:

I suspect because making a high quality kernmantel rope was far more technically complex, involving far more sophisticated machinery, and that the early ropes (e.g. Edeldrid) took far longer to make.

Colin Moody 10 Apr 2020
In reply to DANDREWS:

Are you sure?

I thought a friend was about £18.

DANDREWS 10 Apr 2020
In reply to Colin Moody:

These prices are from an advertisement in a 1979 Climber.

Pedro50 10 Apr 2020
In reply to DANDREWS:

Yeah I remember about £10 in 1980. Shockingly my first sticky boots - Boreal Fires were about £60 in about 1983. You can still buy climbing shoes for that price today. 

Post edited at 22:42
 petemeads 10 Apr 2020
In reply to Pedro50:

You could still buy my Fires for £60!

oldie 11 Apr 2020
In reply to DANDREWS:

Cheapest I've heard of a rope was in my student days in early 70s when one of our college club claimed to have surreptitiously dropped a rope into a 50p sale box and then bought it it off an innocent young employee.

Another episode was when a student worked out that rope bought off the reel was cheaper by the metre than a full length item.....the assistant started measuring out the rope then threw up his hands and sold the regular 150' item at the lower price. We were of course blissfully unaware of any possible difference in dynamic properties of rope off the reel (possibly 9mm rope off the reel was dynamic then?).

In reply to DANDREWS:

> These prices are from an advertisement in a 1979 Climber.

Ah yes before the cartel between supplies  who withdrew advertising if  sale price was given 

In fairness it was to protect the small independent retailers  

John2 11 Apr 2020
In reply to Pedro50:

' Shockingly my first sticky boots - Boreal Fires were about £60 in about 1983. You can still buy climbing shoes for that price today'

In those days, Boreal shoes were manufactured in Spain. These days, most manufacturers make use of cheap Chinese or Vietnamese labour.

andyb211 11 Apr 2020
In reply to John2:

Boreal factory is in Villena Spain

http://www.borealoutdoor.com/

DANDREWS 11 Apr 2020
In reply to andyb211:

Yes,Boreal are still made in Spain and Scarpa rock shoes are made in Italy.I think EB’s were about £20 in 1979. 

Rick51 11 Apr 2020
In reply to DANDREWS:

1970, 2 x 9mm x 150' Edelrid ropes for £1 deposit from a university club. They didn't want them back when I left but they did keep the deposit.

oldie 11 Apr 2020
In reply to Rick51:

Bought first rope, 120ft 11mm, in 1969/70. First time out at Subluminal lent it to two others of college club. Leader had climbed on one previous occasion and was held on peg when he fell off Spreadeagle. Coastguard hauled him up and he was whisked away in helicopter....somehow they also whisked away my rope and never returned it. Outcome was college student union bought me a new rope (now 150ft). Oh, and leader was OK....badly bruised and blood coming out of mouth was due to biting tongue.

Dave Cundy 11 Apr 2020
In reply to DANDREWS:

Not sure about prices in the 70s but i remember buying my first Friends in Rock and Run (thanks Rick!) in 1986 - i recollect them being about £15.

JimR 11 Apr 2020
In reply to Dave Cundy:

My first friends were free! No 1 from top of Brant Direct, no 3 from Diagonal big bunch we found at stoney.  Days before internet so no option to return to owner.. we did ask in the Moon at Stoney.

Darron 21 Apr 2020
In reply to DANDREWS:

I seem to remember that when friends first came out they advertised as a set of 3 for £21.

Si dH 21 Apr 2020
In reply to Darron:

As recently as 2004/5 when I started climbing a set of three WC friends cost £80, or if you went for rock empire ones you could get them for £20-25 each. A decent half rope cost at least £80 at the same time I think, probably more like £100 unless you bought a pair on a good deal. The cost of cams does seem to have rocketed more than ropes.

Post edited at 19:37
 pec 21 Apr 2020
In reply to Si dH:

> The cost of cams does seem to have rocketed more than ropes.

One possible explanation could be that ropes haven't evolved much since the 70s so as sales volumes have increased enormously over that time (far more climbers now) the economies of scale have improved whereas cams are constantly changing and evolving requiring more retooling and manufacturing costs as well as much more research and development costs. Since outside the UK and USA almost nobody seems to climb trad much, the expanding number of climbers hasn't increased the volume of cam sales as much as rope sales so the economies of scale aren't as good either.

Just a thought.

Darron 21 Apr 2020
In reply to pec:

Certainly, whilst the basics are the same, cams are now much more sophisticated beasts to that which Jardine/Vallance unleashed on the world.

Gary Latter 22 Apr 2020
In reply to pec:

> Since outside the UK and USA almost nobody seems to climb trad much,...

Maybe you should travel a bit! Your statement above is way off the mark, there is heaps of trad climbing throughout the world. I've climbed masses of trad routes in a fair few countries in Europe - Alps, France, Switzerland, Corsica, Sweden, Norway. What about all those trad climbing venues in Africa, the Antipodes, Canada, South America, Asia, Greenland? 

pec 23 Apr 2020
In reply to Gary Latter:

Ok so my post was a slight exaggeration, but it's not that far off the mark.

A lot of the more faraway venues you mention are largely only climbed in by Europeans and Americans, how many Greenlanders are actually out those on those big walls for example?  So yes, some non British and Americans do climb trad there but they are only a small fraction of climbers as a whole.

In the major climbing countries of Europe trad is the exception rather than the rule and the majority of climbers in those countries don't climb trad. I've met loads of European climbers who think we're all crazy because the only thing they know about trad is what they've seen in Hard Grit videos and suchlike. Of course some Europeans do climb trad but not many.

Whilst the majority of British and American climbers will have a rack of cams the opposite is true for most of Europe.

Post edited at 19:15

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...