Harness strap material -nylon Vs polyster

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dibyendu Das 08 Apr 2020

Hi,I am just curious to know what kind of webbing/strap is used in making of harness,nylon or polyester.As I know nylon stretches more than polyster.Does this stretchability help to reduce the impact of any fall during Climbing ? 

I have no idea what percentage of force impact due to a fall transfers to harness from rope,this should be a relevant factor about harness testing.

Thanks.

jimtitt 08 Apr 2020
In reply to Dibyendu Das:

I don't remember ever having a harness from nylon, all mine have been polyester for decades.

David Coley 08 Apr 2020
In reply to jimtitt:

Jim, does that include the webbing that goes through the buckle? I thought for some reason this was nylon.

jimtitt 08 Apr 2020
In reply to David Coley:

I'm talking about the webbing, the rest is just decor! Most companies don't say what they use but BD do and you can always ask or look on the tags if they give the info. Nylon has nothing going for it in harnesses, it's slippery, lower UV resistance, stretchy so you fall out, very hard to recycle, lower abrasion resistance and more expensive.

Jon Greengrass 08 Apr 2020
In reply to jimtitt:

BD did use nylon thread to stitch it all together, which led to this investigation.

https://eu.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_GB/qc-lab-acid-harness.html

OP Dibyendu Das 08 Apr 2020
In reply to jimtitt:

Copied from PETZL OFFICIAL SITE-Petzl Coarx harness.Material(s) : high-strength polyester webbing, closed-cell foam, polyester

Certification(s) : CE EN 12277 type C, UIAA

OP Dibyendu Das 08 Apr 2020
In reply to jimtitt:

Copied from BD OFFICIAL site, about Harness Vario.

"Constructed from wide nylon webbing

Also recommended for gym use

One size fits all"

Post edited at 13:54
 AlanLittle 08 Apr 2020
In reply to Dibyendu Das:

> this should be a relevant factor about harness testing.

Why? Do you have some reason to think existing harness test standards are inadequate?

BD Vario isn't really what most people would regard as a mainstream modern climbing harness. 

Post edited at 14:26

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...