Sturdy Tent 3/4 season

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 glenn0010 08 Apr 2020

Hi All,

I'm relativley new to wil camping and when all this is over I'd like to get into it more.

So I've been looking at some strudier tents as I'd like to use them out in winter as well as I do a fair bit of hiking in snowdonia. 

I did borrow a mate's older version of the zephyros and I did not mind it at all. I was wondering how it would fair in some more hash winter weather. Now there is the new compact version of it

I've also been looking at the wild country helm 1 compact and the exped vela 1.

If anyone has had experince with these tents or has advice, I'd love to here it.

Cheers

DaveHK 08 Apr 2020
In reply to glenn0010:

Before I recommend a Hilleberg, what's your budget?

OP glenn0010 08 Apr 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

I'd say somwhere rond 150-250, I've done some research and it seam the Hilleberg Akto has a cult following but looks like its very expensive. 

I would definetly pay on the higher end for more durability bit 500 quid seems a bit step at the moment

DaveHK 08 Apr 2020
In reply to glenn0010:

Definitely a one person tent you want then? For 1 person there are probably better options than the Akto anyway.

Any other preferences? Things like inner/outer first pitching, design features etc.

OP glenn0010 08 Apr 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

This would be my wish list

one person

<2 kg (with a preference towards toughness rather than lightweight)

would prefer outer and innter pitch together,

freestanding would be nice

I paricularly like the look of the feature on the exped vela wer the outer can be 'strung up' opening up the whole side of the tent rather than just a quadrant. Also the outer can also be rolled up to the runnel poles. Not sure if these features have any major glaring flaws but it looks good to my in experinced eyes, I know the outer can be removed to achive the same effect on most tents but this seems like a neat way to do it, 

I'm into mountineering (not anyhting extreme yet)  so it would be nice if it can deal with harsher weather. Though I think it's still early days with camping for me to start going on the mountains in the winter yet. 

leon 1 08 Apr 2020
In reply to glenn0010:

I have for sale my MSR Hubba Hubba HP. This is the 2 man High Performance version of the Hubba Hubba series. It has a Flysheet that goes lower than the standard Hubba Hubbas and has much less mesh inside making it much more suitable for UK use.

Differences between the HP and NX range  https://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/msr-hubba-nx-vs-hp.asp

Its been used for about 10 nights in total and is in perfect condition except for a small tear on the Flysheet (approx 2") which has been taped up. This tear is on the fabric underneath one of the end vents and is neither visible nor actually affected by any rain once the tent is pitched.

However I also acquired a brand new unused green Hubba Hubba HP flysheet for it which is also included in the sale.

There is also a Gear Loft and Footprint included

£215 includes recorded delivery. (Payment by Bank Transfer) or tent can be collected from Peak District for £200

Specifications-    https://www.climbers-shop.com/10898530/products/msr-hubba-hubba-hp-tent.asp...

Review -  https://www.67hours.co.uk/kit/hubba-hubba-hp-review

Andypeak 08 Apr 2020
In reply to glenn0010:

Macpac microlight would probably fit the bill. 4 season, sturdy, reasonably spacious for 1. It's not perfect (no tent is) but a pretty good sturdy shelter. 

OP glenn0010 08 Apr 2020
In reply to leon 1:

Hey mate, cheers for the offer  bit I've been buying loads of kit and got car insurance coming up so this might have to wait a month or two! But it does look like a good contender!

OP glenn0010 08 Apr 2020
In reply to Andypeak:

Cheers mate, I'll have a look at it!

JRJG 09 Apr 2020
In reply to glenn0010:

I have the older zephyros and bought the new version when the former started to fail on me (broken zips and in situ poles becoming non in situ) 

The main disappointment with the newer compact version is the end poles no longer being in situ, they have to be assembled and fitted on erection of the tent. 
I found this a bit of a hassle when compared to the older style although I’m sure I’ll get used to it. I enjoyed how quick the older one was to put up, the main pole in, four pegs and you were near enough done. 
I can’t compare the two for real performance just yet as I’ve only pitched the new one in the garden. 
(I think I paid £130 or so for a brand new one by the way)

I’d suggest trying to find YouTube reviews of the recommended tents before you buy. But also have a search on here as there is a lot of well experienced helpful folk who’ve asked the same questions previously. 

JRJG 

mike123 09 Apr 2020
In reply to glenn0010: take a look at alpkit tents . I bought the kids a tetri when it was on sale last year  for £120 for our overnight adventures  but  now use it myself and wish I got two when they were on sale .  I have owned various expensive tents over the years mainly  terra novas and it really does stand up to comparison with them . The only downside  of the tetri is that it's 3kg , but I used it cycle touring where I tend to go for comfort .  The build quality is excellent . I'm not sure wether they say it's 3 or 3/4 season but I'd use in Scotland in winter in all but the very worst weather . Full price they are £150 and for that are bargain. I'm hanging out for another sale  but if they haven't had one before the current situation is over I ll happiy pay full price for another one  . 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...