Synergistic effect of air pollution and COVID 19?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Yanis Nayu 31 Mar 2020

I watched a video of a German virologist yesterday who said that one of the reasons China and specific regions of Italy had suffered so badly with the virus was air pollution. I did a bit of digging and found this article:

https://impakter.com/covid-19-link-with-air-pollution-italys-and-chinas-exp...

What do you think?

krikoman 31 Mar 2020
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Might fit Chiiinha (Trumps version) and Italy but not so much Spain.

OP Yanis Nayu 31 Mar 2020
In reply to krikoman:

Yes, Spain’s getting it bad at the moment. Not sure about air pollution there. 

Removed User 31 Mar 2020
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Possibly.

Any time I've spent more than a week in a Chinese city I've returned home with a cough.

There must be a lot of people with damaged lungs in China.

wercat 31 Mar 2020
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I raised the very same idea on these forums weeks ago so I would not discount it at all - it seemed an obvious factor to consider when looking at high mortality.  Smoking has been mentioned frequently as a reason for male SARS2-Cov-2 vulnerability so why not environmental pollution?

Post edited at 22:02
 krikoman 31 Mar 2020
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Yes, Spain’s getting it bad at the moment. Not sure about air pollution there. 

have a look on the map in the link you posted, it's quite low.

I'm not discounting it, but it doesn't fit the article itself.

Davidlees215 31 Mar 2020
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Pollution in the UK has not been too bad in recent years, at least in comparison to northern Italy and China. However, pollution was much worse in the past when we burnt ridiculous amounts of coal. It might be that those who were about in the 50s before the clean air acts during the songs could still have damaged lungs to this day. And of course people who were about in the 50s are the ones most at risk anyway. 

wercat 31 Mar 2020
In reply to Davidlees215:

trouble is the clean air acts don't seem to help in a rural setting - chimney smoke is a real irritant here

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...