Inspiration for trips Post Covid-19 Lock down I

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GWA 31 Mar 2020

I should think people are planning some interesting trips over the Summer / Autumn all being well, assuming this crisis is brought under some sort of control.

Let's share some ideas to help get through this period of Isolation!

I'll kick off.  I was going on a cycling tour of the UK this summer.  I'm thinking of tagging some extra time on, expanding that and doing the 80 classic rock ticks on my way around.  

Let's hear what plans people are dreaming up!

Post edited at 18:21
 Derry 31 Mar 2020
In reply to GWA:

My stag-do in May was a trip up to the lake district to tick a couple of classic routes with my mates. Been saying we would go for a few years now but this seemed like a perfect excuse to get a 'pass' and not feel guilty leaving the missus (sorry, fiance) and kids behind. Binned that obviously, but I've been flicking through the guidebook a bit more and am even more excited to get up there now. Who knows when that will be?

And as you can imagine, I'm more annoyed the climbing trip is off than the wedding.

TomYoung 31 Mar 2020
In reply to GWA:

Was meant to be going to Kalymnos over Easter but that's all down the pan now; we were also hoping to go to Font for a week or so before uni started back up in September so hopefully that will still be doable.

Also hoping to do a bit of a road trip around the big Scottish mountain crags, and possibly the Cuillin Traverse as well!

Dave Williams 31 Mar 2020
In reply to GWA:

Morocco in the autumn if that's possible. But far more likely it'll be 2021 before we return to drink the gin, Islay malt and bourbon quickly stashed in a berber garage before our recent, very rapid evac....

Oh, and go climbing of course.

In reply to GWA:

We had - well still have, as nothing's been officially cancelled yet - a roadtrip planned round Colorado and New Mexico in September

However, I fear circumstances will dictate, etc.

T.

bpmclimb 31 Mar 2020
In reply to GWA:

> I'll kick off.  I was going on a cycling tour of the UK this summer.  I'm thinking of tagging some extra time on, expanding that and doing the 80 classic rock ticks on my way around.  

Sounds good! I like that it's in the UK, and all cycling and climbing  

..... I do hope lifting of restrictions doesn't lead to unrestrained "open season" on flights abroad. Understandably, we haven't heard much about the climate crisis of late, but it's still there, of course

AlanLittle 31 Mar 2020
In reply to GWA:

My plans for the summer definitely weren't going to be all of:

1. Visiting an old friend who has semi-retired & moved to Pembroke

2. Another friend who was keen on going to the Écrins to so something on the Dibona

3. ... and another guy from my club who was trying to recruit for a trip to Lofoten.

It was already clear - sadly - that I wasn't going to be doing all of them. Now I don't realistically expect to be doing any of them this year. I'll be happy if I get to climb at all frankly.

OP GWA 01 Apr 2020
In reply to GWA:

Some good plans here.... hope we can all see them through! 

OP GWA 01 Apr 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

I’m planning on staying in the Uk for a couple of years for trips, our domestic economy is going to need it. There is so much here that I have not done and its such a great country to explore anyway!

I doubt it will be open season on flights as sadly millions are going to lose their jobs 😐

Ryan_ID 02 Apr 2020
In reply to GWA:

Before all of this kicked off, I had booked a guide to climb the Matterhorn mid August, with some warm ups on the Jegihorn and Lagginhorn beforehand.

After that I was going to meet up with the Girlfriend and travel around Wengen, Grindlewald and Lauterbrunnen.

Please can everyone keep their fingers (and toes) crossed that we can travel by then. Been a long term dream to climb the big M.

Some great plans on here all  

Michael Gordon 02 Apr 2020
In reply to GWA:

> I doubt it will be open season on flights as sadly millions are going to lose their jobs 😐

...and those who are able to start working again I suspect may feel the need to do so, much that they may like the idea of going on holiday to celebrate the end of restrictions.

tjekel 02 Apr 2020
In reply to GWA:

Whatever is allowed locally, potentially placing a tent in some rather deserted alpine meadow with a selection of easy to midgrade semibolted multipitches around... 

Roc de la Lluna is one of my favourite crags to go end of spring beginning of Summer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...