Gas and electricity meters for those housebound

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Just a thought has anything been said for those less fortunate elderly or otherwise that run out of gas or electricity credit . 

I've not seen anything mentioned personally yet it's pretty important. 

Bacon Butty 17 Mar 2020
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

Point them in my direction, got the utilities covered!

A free huge, with every consultation, 'Absolutely NO ENTRY - C19 ISOLATION Area' sign, ensures avoiding prosec... I mean 'security'

I'm not joking either, the wife mentioned it earlier.

In reply to Taylor's Landlord:

> Point them in my direction, got the utilities covered!

> A free huge, with every consultation, 'Absolutely NO ENTRY - C19 ISOLATION Area' sign, ensures avoiding prosec... I mean 'security'

> I'm not joking either, the wife mentioned it earlier.

How does that work when the meter runs out ? 

Very good point. Those who are on smart meters might be able to do it online, but lots won’t. In my last rental house we were on a to up meter and wouldn’t be able to do anything about it without going to the shop. 

I suppose best thing for those with PAYG meters is to make sure there is always a few weeks credit on it at the moment. Although that doesn’t help those unable to afford to put multiple weeks worth of credit on at once. 

marsbar 17 Mar 2020

I'm hoping that this is something these communities groups can help with.  

Chris Ebbutt 17 Mar 2020

Don’t forget with a smart meter they can cut off your gas or electric with the click of a mouse, no need for pesky court orders or forced entry. That also assumes the meter hasn’t got a fault on the first place. Regularly ( today) visit households where I cannot work due to a faulty gas meter.

Chris

In reply to Chris Ebbutt:

Sorry I think your misunderstanding my point. 

I've a gas meter I can top it up at the post office if I'm allowed out.  I get 5 pounds emergency credit.  If an old person with no family is forced to isolate and is unwell how do they get more credit? 

What if the post office is closed etc.

Lucky winter seems behind us but gas for cooking and electricity for lighting, cooking etc seem really important for people stuck inside.

Post edited at 22:19

Perhaps my thread title is not the best .

Put it this way how do people elderly , no family get more credit for their ALREAD INSTALLED.  Gas and electricity meters.  Smart or not.

Especially if they are ill or self isolating.

Post edited at 22:22
 Lord_ash2000 17 Mar 2020

Might not be much use to the old but the pay as you go meter at a couple of my properties can be topped up by an app as well as the usual cards top up at shops etc.

It's very handy because if I have one empty I can set the heating to come on a few hours a day to stop the place getting damp until someone is ready to move in. And I can top up from anywhere.

Post edited at 22:23
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

> Might not be much use to the old but the pay as you go meter at a couple of my properties can be topped up by an app as well as the usual cars top up at shops etc. It's very handy because if I have one empty I can set the heating to come on a few hours a day to stop the place getting damp until someone is ready to move in. And I can too up from anywhere.

Not everyone's can . Mine can't so I guess many can't. 

Post edited at 22:24
 Lord_ash2000 17 Mar 2020

I'm sure there are many different meters out there I'm no expert. They are both "smart" meters I think in so far as they have a crappy little wireless thing that tells you what you are using but you don't need to use that. They have a Little keypad on the actual meter and an A and B button. You can top up by entering a code or via the phone app from your supplier. In my case one is British Gas the other Utiliter or something. 

If you don't have that option for whatever reason I recommend getting a standard pay quarterly contract paid by direct debit. Or get an up to date meter fitted.

Post edited at 22:31
 Chris Ebbutt 17 Mar 2020

Sorry if I distorted your OP towards my dislike of prepay meters, where the poorest pay the most for the least reliable and insecure utility supplies.

The only faults I have ever come across with credit meters are jammed displays which still pass gas so the user is often unaware or affected, whereas a fault on a pre pay meter is quite common and normally interrupts supply.

Cheers Chris 

Toerag 18 Mar 2020

Over here there is no online topup option so the 'leccy company have been setting people up with postpay accounts.

Mark Edwards 18 Mar 2020
In reply to marsbar:

> I'm hoping that this is something these communities groups can help with.  

It seems that people are already taking things into their own hands and setting up community groups to help.

I joined our local group today which was set up last Sunday and already has almost 900 members.

https://theecologist.org/2020/mar/16/birth-covid-19-mutual-aid

marsbar 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Mark Edwards:

That's the kind of group I meant.  Once they close the schools I will see if I can help.  

Martin W 18 Mar 2020

From MoneySavingExpert.com: "Topping up prepaid energy may be difficult if self-isolating, but some firms will help":

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/03/uk-coronavirus-help-and-your...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...