Alpkit Resolute vs Mountain Equipment Kinesis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 HHay 15 Mar 2020

Hi all,

To the best of my knowledge, this has not been discussed yet, so please forgive me if it has. To give some context, I live in France and do most of my climbing/mountaineering in Europe where the climate is usually not as wet as in the UK. So far I've been using my harshell as my outer layer, but i've come to the conclusion that it's actually unnecessary to have a waterproof 99% of the time. Even when ice climbing, I'll be more comfortable wearing something more breathable. I'm thus looking for something with good stretch for movement, a relatively slim cut (i'm 1,83m for 65 kg...), over-helmet hood, some decent wind resistance, and a bit (but not too much) of insulation. My layering system usually goes like this :

- Merino base layer

- Rab alpha freak pull on (alpha direct fleece-type midlayer)

- Outer layer (the one I'm trying to replace)

- Synthetic insulation puffy (ME Citadel or Fitzroy) for belays and stationnary periods.

So far i'm hesitating between the Mountain Equipment Kinesis and the Alpkit Resolute Jacket. What is your opinion on each one of these (I have already read the UKC review about them)? Have you tried one or own one?
Thank you very much for your help, it's much appreciated.
PS : Apologies if some mistakes plague my writting, i'm definitely not a native speaker/writter.

1philjones1 15 Mar 2020
In reply to HHay:

I can’t comment on the two you mention but would throw this in... on the basis that you would be likely to take a lightweight hard shell in your bag, whichever you ended up with, have a look at the Rab Kinetic Alpine.

I got one last spring and was sceptical of the claims. Having used it in the Alps last summer, I am sufficiently impressed to use it as both a soft shell and hard shell in summer Alpine conditions thereby reducing the amount I carry. It certainly is not waterproof enough for British winter and doesn’t breath quite as well as a pure soft shell but it does both efficiently enough for Alpine conditions in my experience. Durability was also a concern but it’s still looking good as new after 10 months and a fair bit of use. Not too expensive either- think I paid £110.

Post edited at 13:31
 mff513 15 Mar 2020
In reply to HHay:

Sounds like you want a softshell or a cross over hadshell/softshell, good shout is the mountain equipment mission, the kinesis is actually a insulated jacket its essentially a fleece on the inside with a wind proof outer so it's not the most durable jacket its like vapour rise. The best softshell I've used is a mountain equipment mission it was quite thick and was warm enough to wear with a t shirt under on a cool day 10-15 degrees c it also has pit zips and will be more versatile than a kinesis as the kinesis will be to warm in summer but the mission is just a woven softshell 

OP HHay 15 Mar 2020
In reply to mff513:

Thanks for the input. I initially thought about the ME Mission, but it seemed much warmer and less breathable than the Kinesis. I mean, it's about twice the weight of the Kinesis, so I don't really understand why it would be "more versatile". Could you please ellaborate? I don't mean to be an arse, I'm just dubious.

OP HHay 15 Mar 2020
In reply to 1philjones1:

Thanks! Yes, it could be an alternative. I'll definitely think about it. Is it breathable enough for sweaty walks up snow couloirs? I usually run quite hot and would like to avoid the "boil in the bag" feel I get with my hardshell. Does it have any insulation, or is it just a shell?

OP HHay 15 Mar 2020

In reply to maxsava:

Could you please ellaborate? I too read this from the initial Kinesis review comments, but I don't really understand what message you're trying to convey here.

1philjones1 15 Mar 2020
In reply to HHay:

I run hot too and it does breath pretty well. It definitely hasn’t given me the boil in the bag feel of a hard shell on uphill pulls that my old lightweight goretex jacket gave me (a Mountain Equipment Firefox). It is just a shell, no insulation. Quite stretchy too so good for climbing. 

In reply to HHay:

I've been wearing a kinesis this winter. For what its worth-

Shifts moisture from the inside very well, very light, shower proof.

Negatives, i feel its not 100% windproof, i'd describe it as 90%, side zips a fiddle and can easily jam, some suspect stitching where the hood elastic is anchored (had to re stitch it myself).

its been very good over a heavy winter base layer for walk-ins this winter, and has been warm enough for climbing with a hard shell over the top, i've rarely needed to get out a belay jacket, unless stopped for quite a while.

OP HHay 15 Mar 2020
In reply to Colin McKerrell:

Thanks! Do you think it could be a good outer layer with a base layer and a fleece under it? Or is it too thin/not weather resistant enough?

In reply to HHay:

probably be fine for continental ice etc, but i wouldn't rely on it if you expected any rain or snow.  

Pipecleaner 15 Mar 2020
In reply to HHay:

Hi, I have a kinesis and have to say that it's pretty good...for what it's meant to do.  It breathes a lot...you'll feel the cold wind through it until you build up a bit of heat.  Brilliantly tho you won't end up cooked. I've been wearing mine a lot this winter and over a thin baselayer it's kept me very comfortable as long as I'm moving.  Stretch isn't amazing but I've never felt restricted. The velcro cuffs aren't great and I'd prefer elastic tbh like on the original squall jacket.  The best combination I've found so far is a Patagonia nano air light hybrid and a ME aerofoil windshirt or Squall. Nano air is enough most of time but the windshirt makes it just makes it a bit better when it's wild.  Hood isn't strictly over helmet but it does fit if you don't zip up fully.  The kinesis is also a pain to put on sometimes as the fleecy inner binds to everything...put it whilst wearing gloves and I defy you not to swear!  It also packs into a pocket which the nano air doesn't...that said trying to stuff and zip my kinesis is more trouble than its worth!  For what it's worth I bought another nano air light but I probably wouldn't buy another kinesis...3/5 Vs the nano air 4.5/5

Post edited at 22:28
 galpinos 16 Mar 2020
In reply to HHay:

For what you are after, I'd get an ME Squall, your insulation is coming from your current midlayer. The Kinesis will bind to the rab fleece.

mff513 20 Mar 2020
In reply to HHay

The reason it is more versatile is cause It is allows for different layering unlike the kinesis which is always gonna be warm, the mission also will be more durable, and has pit zips the kinesis does not as far as I'm aware

ste_d 20 Mar 2020
In reply to HHay:

The Kinesis, is designed to be worn over a thin base layer, I think the alpha freak is quite a thick fleece... I'm not saying you couldn't use it over a thick fleece but it would bind... The Kinesis is best over a thin base... 

Stuff like the mission is quite different, personally I prefer vapour rise or Kinesis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...