European ski touring season starts NOW!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Frank4short 15 Mar 2020

So it looks like the French have just announced a closure of all ski resorts with only FOUR hours notice, following decisions by Switzerland and Austria to do the same, notwithstanding the near complete shut down of Italy. In effect it appears that resort skiing has been closed in continental Europe for the rest of the year. Good times if you're super motivated. That said i wonder if the huts and refuges will be open and if not what the policy will be regarding winter rooms? Anyone know better?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/news/swiss-ski-resorts-close-due-to-...

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-european-ski-resorts-close-early-to-...

beardy mike 15 Mar 2020
In reply to Frank4short: No, they are closing mostly. In Italy mountain rescue are pleading with people not to go to the mountains because accidents pull vital resources away from where they are needed.

ClimberEd 15 Mar 2020
In reply to Frank4short:

That was my first thought. The touring will be epic.

Pinch'a'salt 15 Mar 2020
In reply to Frank4short:

Worth bearing in mind that rescue service workers in France are requesting people to abstain from activities that may put an extra burden on health services... Ski touring almost certainly falls within that category. (Sadly)

Post edited at 12:22
 tcashmore 15 Mar 2020
In reply to ClimberEd:

I think its time to look at the bigger picture - as per BM's post above, its the travel, local shops (not being open) and most importantly the risk if you end up needing any assistance - is it fair on the local population (and there is the possibility that may not get any assistance!).

OP Frank4short 15 Mar 2020
In reply to Pinch'a'salt:

I wasn't aware of that.

Having just run away from the alps (but having had 2 great powder days in Val T to be fair) with my tail between my legs to make a border closure on time none of this now affects me. 

The thought also occurred to me in the case whereby there's significant new snow, not so unusual at this time of year, will they still have to do avalanche control work even if ski areas aren't being skied?

tcashmore 15 Mar 2020

HI, do you have a link to the report ?   Thanks

Doug 15 Mar 2020
In reply to Frank4short:

Seems that CAF are shuting/won't open any of their guardianed huts although I think winter rooms are still open. Not sure about non CAF huts

earlsdonwhu 15 Mar 2020
In reply to Doug:

I said to a friend, who lives and works in Val d 'Isere ,that she should buy some touring skis and she said everyone had received an email saying that basically all mountain activity was prohibited.

Pinch'a'salt 16 Mar 2020
In reply to tcashmore:

One example from yesterday - a response from the PGHM regarding activities in the high mountains:

"Bonjour, pour l'instant rien de spécifique pour les activités de montagne MAIS les personnels de santé diffusent le message qu'un accident serait mal venu, les équipes ayant d'autres priorités, elles n'ont pas besoin de charge de travail en plus.  Donc a minima, on peut interpréter cela comme aller vers une pratique la plus douce et moins risquée possible et, au plus, à simplement suspendre les sports à risque que sont les sports de montagne. Il s'agit actuellement plus de responsabilité personnelle que de directives strictes. Mais les choses évoluent très vite donc il en sera peut être autrement dans les jours qui arrivent. A suivre."

Basically (and without translating the full thing) at the moment there is no strict regulation, but any accident would be unwelcome (eg the wingsuiter who crashed near Passy this weekend) as hospital workers have other priorities at the moment.

Pinch'a'salt 16 Mar 2020
In reply to Frank4short:

We may well have nearly crossed paths (or tracks) at the end of last week yet again... Was up in VT/Orelle Thurs/Friday... (and it was very vey good!!).

yorkshireman 16 Mar 2020
In reply to Frank4short:

As others have said, there's a bigger picture here around travel and the supporting services. I live in a mountain town above Grenoble and have 4 local ski resorts. Yesterday morning was beautiful and I thought of going for a couple of hours ski (I ended up doing gardening instead of skiing on Saturday so missed out) and saw the news when I checked the conditions.

It might be great for ski tourers but this is devastating for the people who live here. The two gites near me have had people turn around and go home. Ski rental shops, bars, restaurants, ski instructors and everything else related to the winter economy here has had a sudden crash. Most people who work in that industry move through several seasonal jobs in the year (often all in hospitality) so there are people really suffering. So its not like if you came here to ski you would even be helping the economy, as there's nowhere to spend your money really.

Even someone I know who works in a good office job working in Finance in Grenoble is now on 'partial unemployment benefit' because basically her company have shuttered everything and sent everyone home, requesting state assistance. People won't starve but many people are suffering a severe and sudden drop in income.

Doug 16 Mar 2020
In reply to yorkshireman:

I live in a small village/ski resort not far from Gap, but unlike you I took advantage of the good weather to ski for a few hours yesterday knowing that it woud be the last day of the season. One oddity was seeing groups of ski instructors skiing together in groups of 4 or 5 & without clients 'just for fun'. No doubt the season (& pay ?) has finished early for the instructors plus all those who work on the lifts, etc - the largest single source of employment in the village in winter.

But in the village only the superette was open, all the bars, restaurants & the hotel were already shut - my wife chatted to the hotel owner who is very worried about her future. We were also planning to go to Nevache for a couple of days but had a phonecall from the owner of the gite d'etape to say they were now closed.

I'm retired so have an income but its going to hard for very many over the next few weeks & months.

Doug 16 Mar 2020
In reply to Doug:

for anyone who can read French, this might be of interest

https://www.ledauphine.com/societe/2020/03/16/le-club-alpin-aussi-appelle-a...

(the French Alpine Club asks its members to limit their activities)

John Cuthbert 16 Mar 2020
In reply to Frank4short:

Macron has just ordered a full lockdown..

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/mar/16/coronavirus-live-updates...

John C

Doug 16 Mar 2020
In reply to John Cuthbert:

but we are allowed out for some exercise as long as its alone -

Seuls resteront autorisés, "en métropole comme outre-mer", les "trajets nécessaires nécessaire pour faire ses courses, se soigner, les trajets nécessaires pour aller travailler lorsque le travail à distance n'est plus possible, et les trajets nécessaires pour faire un peu d'activité physique."

(from Le Monde but pretty much what I remember him saying)

yorkshireman 17 Mar 2020
In reply to Doug:

And apparently anyone found outside will need to provide proof of why they're out. Photo of an empty fridge?

I assume going out for a run or walking the dogs in a rural area is OK.

At least the French government are providing a 300€bn aid package to help the people and businesses that are being affected, unlike Johnson who just tells everyone not to go out but leaves the pubs, restaurants and theatres to pick up the pieces.

Doug 17 Mar 2020

apparently we're supposed to 'self certify' using the form downloadable from

https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Attestation...

I skinned up one of our local pistes yesterday afternoon (no lifts now) & saw a couple of others who had the same idea, and while doing some shopping this morning saw someone about to set off on their touring skis.  I guess the risk skiing on a green or blue piste is pretty low

yorkshireman 17 Mar 2020
In reply to Doug:

Yeah, I've just printed one out. The French love their paperwork! However the piece around exercise states that it should be close to your home and limited. All seems a bit open to interpretation.

I've just sat and had lunch on the patio and the view looks out over the whole valley and as a result we get the distant hum of traffic as it gets funnelled up from the valley road below. There's been a definite dropoff this afternoon, much more than you get at a normal lunchtime. 

We're quite well stocked up - will probably need to go to the market on Thursday to get some fresh veg but other than that we're staying put.

Chris Clayton 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Doug:

Following few rescues since the lockdown, the Prefet in Haute-Savoie has now forbidden any mountain activity - https://twitter.com/Prefet74/status/1240292405141819397  Don't know if other départements have done the same

Pinch'a'salt 19 Mar 2020
In reply to Chris Clayton:

Same in Savoie and Isere...

yorkshireman 19 Mar 2020

> Same in Savoie and Isere...

Do you have a link for Isère? I'm there and am looking for detail so I don't fall foul (like Doug, I have mountains that are 'technically' around my house so want to know what is realistic. Just thinking of running on easily accessible trails rather than any epics, which would be quite simply irresponsible at the moment.

I checked the prefecture website and didn't see anything specific about mountains.

Its the same for the Hautes Alpes, not sure if there is any thing in writing like whats ok and not, just the prefet posted on facebook & twitter to say no mountain sports. such as ski touring or rock climbing. As for running and walking it seams to come down to the copper that stops you, I have a friend who asked a copper if he could ride his bike on the road and he said yes, then another mate got shouted at for doing in,

I went for a run to day 90% off road (like you I live in a village of 10 houses and mountain all around) I did see a copper in car, as I crossed a road and he just waved?

I get the feeling they will get stricter as the days go on, apparently there have been rescue call outs since the ban started and that is rightly pissing the authorities off.

Doug 19 Mar 2020
In reply to ecrinscollective:

Did you find anything for Hautes-Alpes ? I looked & couldn't see anything. I'm very tempted to skin up one of the green pistes (which starts about 100m from our flat) and reckon there's no more risk than walking along the roadside but don't want to be fined.

On a related theme, I had an email from a friend in Paris who was 'controlled' yesterday while walking up & down the steps at Montmartre and said that the gendarmes were stopping people who they thought were 'strolling' rather than taking exercise - again not quite clear what the difference is and that worried my wife who due to illness can't walk very fast at the best of times.

In reply to Doug:

I saw a tweet from the Prefet but cant find it now. 

Heard today some people got pulled of a local cliff by the cops no fine just a ticking off. 

I must reply to your email, I meant to in the winter but caught up with the season, no excuses now though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...