Wood stove - steel vs cast iron?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Graeme G 14 Mar 2020

Aside from the differences in heat properties anyone got any experience of steel vs cast iron wood burning stoves?

In reply to Graeme G:

We’ve two steel wood burners, 5kW and 7 kW, and then a cast iron stove which is around 12kW. The big one was in when we bought the house, and we replaced two others with new steel stoves. I can’t say that I can see any difference between them, other than the steel ones looking more modern.

MJAngry 14 Mar 2020
In reply to Graeme G:

Cheep cast is best avoided, can crack apparently. 

Mine is steel and can take many Russian tanks. 

https://burley.co.uk/category/wood-burning-stoves/

youtube.com/watch?v=F7T0LBgnOWI&

Cos you never know...... 

Post edited at 20:32
OP Graeme G 14 Mar 2020
In reply to MJAngry:

Ta both. Not really sure we can justify the expense as it’s not a big room. But we’ve always wanted one and I think I can get a decent deal on a steel one.

ian caton 16 Mar 2020
In reply to Graeme G:

Pretty sure cast has higher heat emissivity. 

Hooo 16 Mar 2020
In reply to Graeme G:

I have a cast stove and my friend has a steel one. He reckons that steel heats up quicker and cools down quicker. I've never attempted to verify this. Apart from that, we're both really happy with our stoves, so I'd say if you've got a deal on a decent one go for it. The quality of the stove is more important than whether it's cast or steel.

OP Graeme G 16 Mar 2020
In reply to Hooo:

Ta. I’d read about the difference in heat absorption and emission. Other than that sounds as though I just need to not buy a duff one. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...