Lake District - Ice? Turf?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Route Adjuster 03 Mar 2020

Just wondering if anyone has been out and found any reasonable conditions in the Lakes yesterday or today (Monday / Tuesday) - thinking of trying to get out tomorrow or Thursday night-time if the conditions are looking good.  Not many routes been logged at all on UKC so my suspicion is that the conditions are not good. Any notes from those who've been out would be useful.

Jackob 03 Mar 2020
In reply to Route Adjuster:

Im also wondering this.

Looking at the BMC turf thermometer things look like they should be a approaching a reasonable condtion for winter climbing given a day or 2. Ive seen a couple of reports on facebook reflecting my thoughts that things are very nearly, but not quite there.

Lee Sheard 03 Mar 2020
In reply to Jackob:

We were on brown cove crags today and as Jackob says, nearly but not quite.

Freezing level just above the top today. Guess it depends if things freeze over night. Theres a layer of graupal just under the surface. Still some instability & turf not quite frozen.

HTH

Thanks, useful info.

Gullies filled up with graupel on monday. this really needs to melt and then refreeze. buttresses exposed to the wind might come in soon. I'll take a look tomorrow.

Johnhi 03 Mar 2020
In reply to Full moon addict:

Turf not in low down on brown cove crags around sunset, a decent amount of thin delaminated ice about.  Central gully was a pleasant enough snow plod with a scrappy step at the bottom, no obvious graupel.

Billhook 04 Mar 2020

We need  a separate forum for turf climbing

JDSwain 05 Mar 2020

Anyone been out yesterday for a look?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...