Decathalon / Simond Waterproof Jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aldo56 28 Feb 2020

Does anyone have this jacket? What are your thoughts? Breath okay? Seems like good value compaired with most shells these days.

SIMOND MEN'S MOUNTAINEERING WATERPROOF JACKET - ALPINISM RED

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mens-alpi-jacket-red-id_8495180.html

girlymonkey 28 Feb 2020
In reply to aldo56:

I had a Decathlon waterproof once. It was ok for a while but not so durable. It wasn't a Simond one though, which I suspect will be better.

On the whole, my feeling on decathlon kit is that they are European and cater well for European climate. So I like their sunglasses, they do good quick drying  kit and good snow kit. They don't cater so well for our wet and windy conditions. I use a lot of their stuff, but probably wouldn't buy a waterproof from them again. 

Andy Hardy 28 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

I've got a Quechua jacket, I'd say it was easily the same quality as jackets costing 4 times the price. (It was £60 4 years ago) still going strong

OP aldo56 28 Feb 2020

I've had many of their other items of clothing and been quite impressed for the money but nothing waterproof. Anyone else?

In reply to aldo56:

I have a Quechua jacket, but from before they bought the Simond brand, about 8/9 years ago, looks very similar to that one, but may be a completely different fabric by now. Bought it as a robust keep you dry no matter what kind of jacket (it has storm flaps inside and outside the zip, when did that stop being a good idea?) and it still the jacket I use if I know it's just going to rain all day. Not sure it's very breathable but nothing is when it's properly raining. The added protection of the black rubber patches on the shoulders where your pack straps sit really helps stop the seep from your pack straps. 

hbeevers 28 Feb 2020
In reply to aldo56:

I've got the Forclaz which is the same as the Simond light alpinism one. It's as breathable as any other gore-texy jacket I've had and as waterproof, I'm really pleased. In terms of durability it's great as the outer is pretty heavy duty, the light one I have has Paclite type areas of lighter fabric to cut weight down but they're not in any high wear areas.

It's made me realize how daft it is that big brands use another brand's membrane and charge a fortune... It's mostly just down to fashion and people wanting the latest tech membrane to make them feel better about themselves.

In reply to aldo56:

Like most decathlon gear, the jacket will be fine. 

Yes, you can buy something that is 10% better but it will cost you 3x more.

For a long expedition where kit failure could cause real problems, you may feel more confident spending more but for most of us, going for days out, kit failure isn't a massive issue. 

Sparrowling 29 Feb 2020
In reply to hbeevers:

Just what I needed, worked a treat, thank you!

Jasonic 29 Feb 2020
In reply to aldo56:

Yes - seems fine to me!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...