Where to go for a chance at some winter climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mauraman 23 Feb 2020

Next week I will have a couple of days off and would like to climb some easy routes (I/II). Ideally I would like to climb gullies or butresses rather than ridges. I am keeping an eye at the weather forecast and fell top reports on Helvellin in the hope that Brown Cove can offer something but, if not, I am prepared to drive further north next Sunday, leaving from Cambridge, so to be climbing Monday and Tuesday.

My question is, where is the nearest place to me where I am likely to find some winter routes in conditions?

TobyA 23 Feb 2020
In reply to mauraman:

It looks cold and snowy in the lakes and Wales all this week. I'm just home from Helvellyn, we did striding and swirral edges, they were in deep snow conditions and it was really wild in the wind. But there is no consolidation of the new snow and the turf was unfrozen to summit level. It should improve through the week but the large amounts of snow blown onto the Eastern aspects means that the unfrozen turf will be insulated. the gullies will be full of soft powder over scree currently. With more snow forecast I would be wary of going into them. There was already windslab forming today, maybe 10 cm so that broke easily on top of the soft snow below, and that was after only less than a day of new snow being wind deposited

OP mauraman 23 Feb 2020
In reply to TobyA:

TobyA, thanks for the up to date report!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...