Walking *shoes* similar to Altberg Jorvik

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Luke 17 Feb 2020

My partner and I are setting off on an extended trans-Écosse tour on our tandem this May.

I've ridden with clipless pedals for 15 odd years now but I've fully embraced the flat life for cycle touring.

I also fancy indulging in a bit of Rough Stuff Fellowship Archive (https://www.instagram.com/rsfarchive/) LARPing en route. This is a generous way of saying that I expect to spend quite some time pushing our fully-laden tandem over rough terrain. 

There are plenty of approach shoes that fit the bill but the hopeless fashion victim in me is attracted to something like the Altberg Jorvik Veldt; https://www.altberg.co.uk/boots/shoes11/jorvik-veldt

I prefer one-piece leather uppers as they are so much easier to maintain than synthetic shoes (the smell of Sno Seal is a heady and nostalgic aroma) and the fact that they can be re-soled is also very attractive. 

However, while the Altbergs fit the bill near perfectly, there's no denying they're fairly expensive. 

Does anyone have any recommendations for similarly-styled shoes that aren't quite so pricy? I suspect I'll just end up buying the Altbergs but I have to at least pretend to try and look for something else. 

Many thanks in advance!

(Ps, apologies if this is not in the correct sub-forum. I considered hill talk but this felt like one for the gear heads.) 

Jabbott 18 Feb 2020
In reply to Jack Luke:

> However, while the Altbergs fit the bill near perfectly, there's no denying they're fairly expensive. 

I'd suggest an RRP of £189.99 for what is a rather a niche product, hand made in the UK, is about right. If you're just going to be using them for a few weeks touring, then I understand your reticence. But if you're still going to be wearing them many years from now then their value increases. 

Enjoy the tour!

Cheers,
Jamie

OP Jack Luke 18 Feb 2020
In reply to Jabbott:

I have come to pretty much the same conclusion but I have to at least pretend to try look for an alternative. 

I am very excited for the tour. I am very fortunate in that riding forms a large part of my day-to-day life (this, of course, comes at the expense of climbing!) but it’s been years since I went on a proper extended tour.

That it’ll be a trip away from the (lovely) South West and back to the (lovelier) homeland is the icing on the cake.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...