Alternatives to Scotland for winter climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom_Leverett 16 Feb 2020

Does anyone know any areas similar to Scotland for winter mountaineering/climbing?

Just spent a week there (2nd year running) and am curious if there are any similar places in Europe that offer similar ranges of difficulty and altitude but that generally have better weather conditions.

This week was particularly bad having back-to-back storms (although we did have one incredible day out in between) but last year was just as inhibiting in terms of approaching the routes only to be turned around by bad weather.

If anyone knows of any similar areas of up to, say, 2000m high that would be great.

Current grade is II/III but higher grades would obviously help have something to aim for as well.

Thanks

Gone for good 16 Feb 2020
In reply to Tom_Leverett:

The Polish Tatra might meet your requirements.

http://www.alpine-club.org.uk/news-meets/468-ac-meet-the-tatra-mountains-20...

HeMa 16 Feb 2020

Tatras and Norway.

OP Tom_Leverett 17 Feb 2020
In reply to HeMa:

Thanks to you and Wanderer100 for the suggestions.

Are there any particular areas of Norway that you would recommend or is all of it of a similar level?

HeMa 17 Feb 2020

Majority of Norways mountains are below 2000m (e.g. Lofoten, Senja, Lyngen etc.), but the vert gains add up quickly as you pretty much always start from roughly sea level.

The Grist 17 Feb 2020
In reply to Gone for good:

Or indeed the Slovakian Tatras. I am going on the AC club trip in March so will see how that compares to Scotland.

CurlyStevo 17 Feb 2020

Have you considered euro ice instead of mountaineering. You can still do occasional climbs with mixed sections and climbs with a lot of pitches!

I can recommend Cogne.

Rob Parsons 17 Feb 2020

> Does anyone know any areas similar to Scotland for winter mountaineering/climbing?

> Just spent a week there (2nd year running) and am curious if there are any similar places in Europe that offer similar ranges of difficulty and altitude but that generally have better weather conditions.

To get the best out of Scotland, you really need to be led by the conditions and the weather forecasts, rather than arbitrary dates.

I realise that you could say the same thing of more-or-less any climbing area on the planet; and I realise that that doesn't help you if you necessarily need to make plans far in advance.

tjdodd 17 Feb 2020

Slovenia has a good mix of European water ice and Scottish type winter climbing at lowish altitude.

OP Tom_Leverett 08 Mar 2020
In reply to tjdodd:

A bit late with replying but just wanted to thank you all for your suggestions, I'll be doing my research for next season!

Cheers

Le Sapeur 08 Mar 2020

Canada. 

Dr.S at work 08 Mar 2020

Its not quite Scotland, but Artic Norway is pretty awesome.

Robert Durran 08 Mar 2020
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> Its not quite Scotland, but Artic Norway is pretty awesome.

Do you mean not quite Scotland in that it is vastly bigger and with vastly more potential along with the same maritime climate that makes Scottish climbing "unique"?

olddirtydoggy 09 Mar 2020

Had a go at the Polish Tatras some years back and they were wonderful. The inside bowl of Morskie Oko was very impressive with some great looking lines. Orla Perc is like their Cuillin on acid with so much to go at.  Didn't see many climbers but packed with hikers.

On the down side we found the huts at the bases of the mountains very full. At the time there was no avalanche forecast which is a luxury in Scotland so we had to have our heads screwed on making a choice. The rules state you must stick to the designated trails, very similar to many countries as the wildlife is rather delicate. Somebody told us the Slovakian side was off limits unless you were a member of the Alpine cloub there, that might not be true. Time has passed, things change so check.

HeMa 09 Mar 2020
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

> Somebody told us the Slovakian side was off limits unless you were a member of the Alpine cloub there, that might not be true. Time has passed, things change so check.

That being said, membership to say OeAV costs like 50 quid a year, and it even includes rescue (plus) insurance. So not really a deal breaker IMHO.

olddirtydoggy 09 Mar 2020
In reply to HeMa:

Knowing that, if I was booking I'd jump on it, Bargin!

redjerry 16 Mar 2020

I'm always a little surprised that NE USA is so off the radar for UK climbers. Pretty easy to get there from the UK and quite a reliable season late dec to mid or so march.  Not really much mountaineering in the same way as scotland, but loads of good mixed and ice climbing on pretty big cliffs. 

Tobes 16 Mar 2020

Out of interest Tom, which area were you based and did you travel out of the immediate area during the week? 

With a base in Scotland there ‘should’ always be something possible with a bit of further travel and up to date info. 

Otherwise North Wales? ; ) 

beanieman 11 May 2020

Rjukan is very popular, but I think its mostly ice. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...