Dom Ainsley - Winter Wainwrights

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ablackett 15 Feb 2020

Does anyone on here know Dom Ainsley, he is attempting to run the wainwrights this week, then again this summer in record time of less than 6 days 6 hours.  I know of most top fell runners, and haven't come across Dom Ainsley, there doesn't seem to be any record of him doing any fell running on the internet either.  Is he some stealthy hero, who has slipped all our attentions or will his attempt fall apart somewhere near Great Gable on day one?

http://live.opentracking.co.uk/wwra2020/?fbclid=IwAR2RY-p5jkBQ6_L7UChkvvJyk...

https://www.ellis-brigham.com/dom-ainsley

He was due to start at 4am to day, but has knocked it back 23 hours to 3am sunday morning as the weather didn't look ideal. 

plyometrics 15 Feb 2020
In reply to ablackett:

Not heard of him but have just found this:

youtube.com/watch?v=3SfazomYD7o&

Certainly a bold challenge / claim, particularly on the back of Tierney’s stellar effort. 

Always a bit sceptical of people who big up their intended challenge beforehand. Indeed there was a guy in Kendal who spent much time on social media in 2019 claiming he was going to be the first person to do the Wainwright’s in one go, unsupported. He got about 50km in and bailed, one of the many excuses he gave was that he was scared of heights... 

That said, this Dom fella looks like he’s cut from a different cloth than the aforementioned social media tart, and whilst I will maintain a soupçon of scepticism, I wish him all the very best; particularly as the forecast up here for the next two weeks is pretty much constant rain. 

Post edited at 16:45
 plyometrics 16 Feb 2020
In reply to ablackett:

Looks like he’s set off. Unexpectedly nice day too!

Post edited at 14:04
 thommi 16 Feb 2020
In reply to plyometrics:

Looks to have not moved since 1437ish. Anyone know if he's okay?

In reply to thommi:

He was only on castle crag which is 20 mins from the road, so I can't imagine he's come to any real harm. I guess either he has problems with his tracker, or some reasonably minor physical issue that has made him retire.

Roadrunner6 16 Feb 2020
In reply to ablackett:

Yeah I thought that, especially on the ultra side I tend to know of most people and had never heard of him. Looks a fit guy, it's a huge undertaking just being out for so long.

Shortshorts 16 Feb 2020

The wind was particularly heinous, and ground totally saturated, after the past weeks weather events.  He's starting back up in the middle of the night.  I'll be joining him for a few miles.    

OP ablackett 16 Feb 2020
In reply to Shortshorts:

Has he ever done any fell running before?  

bouldery bits 16 Feb 2020
In reply to Shortshorts:

> The wind was particularly heinous, and ground totally saturated, after the past weeks weather events. 

Weather was beautiful but wind very serious on top of Place Fell around 2pm this afternoon. Was glad I'd had a large fry up - stopped me from blowing away!

He's startingack up in the middle of the night.  I'll be joining him for a few miles.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Roadrunner6 16 Feb 2020
In reply to ablackett:

He's got support of Audi and Ellis Brigham. I think his background is more climbing and mountaineering. But these challenges are more hiking and logistics, sleep deprivation than aerobic running ability. I'd was similar to Paul T in ultra's but my body could never stand up to the weeks battering he put his through in his run.

Dark-Cloud 17 Feb 2020
In reply to ablackett:

What’s his target time ? In this weather I would be surprised if it was sub 14 days if at all.

McHeath 17 Feb 2020
In reply to Shortshorts:

Where did he start? 

In reply to McHeath:

Keswick.

Dark-Cloud 17 Feb 2020
In reply to Shortshorts:

Do you know this fella then ? Gather you must if you are running with him ?

What's his schedule ?

Simon Caldwell 17 Feb 2020
In reply to ablackett:

> or will his attempt fall apart somewhere near Great Gable on day one?

No, not least because he didn't get there until day 2

He's had a lot of flack on social media, largely because people haven't heard of him, but he's clearly got something about him to even set off in the current conditions and forecast!

Dark-Cloud 17 Feb 2020
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Fair play to the guy but it is a bit odd that somebody with no previous form would take on something of this size, i guess time will tell.

Shortshorts 17 Feb 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I don't know him, but i heard about it on social media just as he ran right past my front door and i was getting ready for a long run anyway.   His primary schedule is on the ambitious side, but he's definitely aware of that and has his sights set on getting round whatever the time.      

Post edited at 17:55
OP ablackett 17 Feb 2020
In reply to Shortshorts:

It’s going to take him about 3 weeks at this rate, now that would be a serious endurance test!

OP ablackett 17 Feb 2020

> > or will his attempt fall apart somewhere near Great Gable on day one?

> he's clearly got something “missing” to even set off in the current conditions and forecast!

fixed that for you.

Roadrunner6 17 Feb 2020
In reply to ablackett:

Its a winter round.. a winter round in good weather is just a dark summer round.

Dark-Cloud 18 Feb 2020
In reply to ablackett:

Yeah on his video he was saying he was running for 20 hours a day and sleeping for around 3, doesn't look like that's worked out for him so far as he stopped for a full night on Sunday night and he's still stopped now.

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Its very difficult to keep going through multiple nights solo, and especially when the weather is mank.  As Simon said, its admirable to even think about setting off when its dreich and windy like this. Its one thing doing it in the summaer but a whole different ball game in the winter and the weather hasn't yet turned really bad. I must admit, in the past I have had very fleeting thoughts about giving something like this a try, but the thought of the inevitable storms over such a long period is not encouraging.  I reckon a more mountaineering styl;e approach is more likely to be successful over a 2 week period. I can't see the point of doing it in dreary unpleasant weather like this in the winter with no snow.  But in snowy, calmer conditions it could be brilliant if you can wait years for the conditions! Anyway good luck to Dom. Its doesn't look like it will be very nice later this week and into the weekend.

In reply to Full moon addict:

> Its very difficult to keep going through multiple nights solo, and especially when the weather is mank.  I must admit, in the past I have had very fleeting thoughts about giving something like this a try, but the thought of the inevitable storms over such a long period is not encouraging.  I reckon a more mountaineering styl;e approach is more likely to be successful over a 2 week period. 

Does anyone know if this has ever been done as a continuous round in winter before? 320 miles I think so even two weeks is 23 miles a day, which would be good going in winter, day after day. 3 weeks at 15 miles per day sounds more sustainable/enjoyable.

Dark-Cloud 18 Feb 2020
In reply to mountain.martin:

I don't think its been done in winter before, he still hasn't moved today.

no - its definitely not been done or attempted in winter

Simon Caldwell 18 Feb 2020

He's on the move again...

OP ablackett 18 Feb 2020

To the folk saying it’s commendable to have a go, and good on him, and he’s going well considering the conditions, all that is obviously true.

What I find really grating about the whole venture is his claims before he set off that he was going to do this twice, once in winter , and once in summer, and in doing so go faster than Joss, Steve and Paul.  Implicitly saying he is better than these three chaps.  I think the past few days have shown he isn’t. 

XXXX 18 Feb 2020

Is it still a winter round if it finishes late March? 

Devils advocate- isn't a long slow run and then a full night's sleep day after day a walking holiday?

Dark-Cloud 18 Feb 2020
In reply to XXXX:

Well, i thought the same this morning, so you are not alone in that thought, i just didn't put it into words but well done you !

Dark-Cloud 18 Feb 2020
In reply to ablackett:

When i heard about it i watched his Youtube video and found the whole thing a bit odd, some of the terminology and facts were just plain wrong, seemed to lack a bit of experience if i'm honest.

Post edited at 14:42
In reply to XXXX:

pretty much right.  the pace isn't exactly matching the video promo.

uptosummit 18 Feb 2020
In reply to ablackett:

I have started a live updates blog for the attempt. May require some patience...any news, would love to hear on the forum! https://uptosummit.home.blog/2020/02/18/%f0%9f%94%b4-live-dom-ainsley-wainw... 

I have found some photographs etc here https://www.facebook.com/optimaladventuresUK/

Post edited at 16:16
XXXX 18 Feb 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Actually I'm a bit ashamed of writing that from the comfort of my warm house. If it carries on at this pace for a few more days maybe it would be justified but he could be having all manner of issues and just sticking it out.

In reply to XXXX:

If it's never been done in winter before, then that is a great challenge to go at, just getting round in 2 weeks would be good going in my books, he's a young lad, I don't know any 23 year olds who could have thought of this and had the initiative to get it off the ground.

I can understand any talk of breaking the summer record is going to be met with a fair bit of scepticism. Time will tell how he gets on with this, and his summer attempt.

bouldery bits 18 Feb 2020
In reply to uptosummit:

Love the blog. I will be sure to follow along.

I'm planning to nip up Seat Sandal tomorrow am (during the brief spell of slightly more settled weather / a portion of my alloted play time for the week) so I'll provide a conditions report tomorrow. 

Cheers!

BB

uptosummit 18 Feb 2020
In reply to bouldery bits:

Brilliant. Thanks very much!

Roadrunner6 18 Feb 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> Well, i thought the same this morning, so you are not alone in that thought, i just didn't put it into words but well done you !

It is but once someone has done it, albeit slowly, that's a marker for others to beat.

I'm not sure how experienced he is though. Biggish days are one thing but day after day with wet blistered feet becomes something else. 

Someone just did the first continuous traverse of the white mountain summits in winter, pretty horrific conditions, camping out etc. He was slowish, but he did long days and kept going and most were impressed.

Simon Caldwell 18 Feb 2020
In reply to uptosummit:

At the end of day 3 he's just under half way through Steve's day 2 schedule, so if he keeps this up he should finish in a couple of weeks. Which seems pretty impressive to me, given the conditions!

He's bedded down less than a mile down the road from Joss Naylor's house. 

OP ablackett 19 Feb 2020

I think that’s a fairly optimistic way of reading the numbers. He has done in 3 days what Paul managed in 27 hours, if he keeps up his pace that will see him finish in 17 days 8 hours. But he was a lot slower yesterday than on Sunday morning, so I can’t see him keeping going for another 2 weeks. 

In reply to ablackett:

from what I can see its walking pace which could be sustained for 2 weeks if the body holds up.  with the storms that are expected, it will be tough to keep going whatever, but with support and a night's sleep, mainly a matter of the will to keep going.

uptosummit 19 Feb 2020
In reply to ablackett:

He is moving again. Weather up Scafell Pike looks set to be nothing short of wintry today - 60mph gusts and rain/hail/sleet. 

https://uptosummit.home.blog/2020/02/18/%f0%9f%94%b4-live-dom-ainsley-wainw... 

If you are out there today, give us a shout with images if possible. Send to up2summit@gmail.com 

DaveHK 19 Feb 2020
In reply to ablackett:

From the blog: "Dom Ainsley is a relative unknown in the fell running community, seeming to be more associated with mountaineering and climbing."

Can't say I've heard of him in any of those contexts!

uptosummit 19 Feb 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

Taking that from the Ellis Brigham website. Cannot say I have knowledge of him either, hence the "seeming to be more associated"

DaveHK 19 Feb 2020
In reply to uptosummit:

> Taking that from the Ellis Brigham website. Cannot say I have knowledge of him either, hence the "seeming to be more associated"

Not sure what your point is?

The quote I selected would suggest that whoever wrote it thinks he's more known as a mountaineer and climber. And I for one haven't heard of him as either of those. Might it be more accurate to say he isn't actually 'known' for anything?

Not disparaging what the guy is trying to do or making any judgement on his abilities but there's a right whiff of 'social media event' around this.

Post edited at 11:07
 stevevans5 19 Feb 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

If it's written by his sponsors then it basically is an advert in some form and hence is likely to be bigged up a bit. Seeming to be more associated doesn't mean that he's well known in either, it just might be a roundabout way of saying his background is more in climbing than fellrunning. 

DaveHK 19 Feb 2020
In reply to uptosummit:

>  Cannot say I have knowledge of him either, 

From your posts it sort of looks like you're part of his team although I'm fairly sure that's not the case?

bouldery bits 19 Feb 2020
In reply to uptosummit:

A nice morning out before the wet and sleety weather came back in. Wind has certainly died down since Sunday with the odd strong gust. Icy underfoot in places down to 450m ish and snow well established from 600m. Deep drifts in places!

Well done Dom! 

In reply to ablackett:

seems to have gone walkabout near lords rake. there's nowhere to hide with a tracker!

uptosummit 19 Feb 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

Not the case. Just keeping tabs on the whole thing where I can

uptosummit 19 Feb 2020
In reply to ablackett:

Nothing since 12:39. Seems to have taken a rather looong route under Scafell Crag. Not sure how he would plan to reascend to Lingmell... Anyone know that bit of ground a bit better? I have only skirted that area. https://uptosummit.home.blog/2020/02/18/%f0%9f%94%b4-live-dom-ainsley-wainw...

In reply to DaveHK:

quite agree. I really dislike the way social media and sponsors have to big things up.  and lets be honest - most people that do ultras spend an awful lot of time walking, but it seems to be looked down upon to refer to walking as opposed to running. long distance stuff like this can be quite humbling. better to downstate than overegg things.

Simon Caldwell 19 Feb 2020
In reply to uptosummit:

I'd guess the diversion was due to deep snow? Anyway he's back on course now.

In reply to uptosummit:

seems to have been tracker error - now on lingmell

According to the Open Tracker facebook page there's no coverage around there.

https://www.facebook.com/opentracking/photos/a.401929046640457/148526055497...

uptosummit 19 Feb 2020
In reply to stevevans5:

Yes, true. However, I checked with my climbing friends and they did not know him; neither do I. However, that is not to say I had asked every climber. Easy to jump to the "he's completely unknown to anyone" conclusion and then someone pipes up with the opposite, so I stuck with the vague language

Dark-Cloud 19 Feb 2020
In reply to uptosummit:

Check out his Instagram page, I think he's a young gun who is as keen as hell and has maybe oversold his capabilities a bit, as we all have at some point i'm sure.

DaveHK 19 Feb 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

>oversold his capabilities a bit, as we all have at some point i'm sure.

I've definitely done this but it was in a pre-social media world so I pretty much got away with it.

uptosummit 19 Feb 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Yeah this was my first impression. I am refraining from passing too much judgement. His split from Lingmell to Scafell Pike was only 3 minutes behind Paul's, so can't deny he is actually moving. Any idea he is doing it in 7 days is, frankly, not happening, but he keeps getting up when you think he is down so the proof will be in the pudding!

In reply to DaveHK:

> >oversold his capabilities a bit, as we all have at some point i'm sure.

> I've definitely done this but it was in a pre-social media world so I pretty much got away with it.

When I was 17, I had the idea that I was going to be the first person to do a continuous winter round of the Munro's. I was pretty set on it despite my only winter experience being in reasonable weather in Snowdonia. Looking back I obviously didn't have a clue what it involved or how hardcore that would be. My mum was worried about me and said I couldn't do it until I had finished my A levels. I think I soon became more interested in girls and realised it wasn't going to impress a 17 year old Oxford lass.

If Dom gets round this in 2 weeks it will be a first and a great effort for a young lad. I hope the breaking the record nonsense he had to spout to impress the sponsors doesn't detract from his achievements.

In reply to uptosummit:

His average speed seems to be about 2mph. a comparison of individual splits over a short distance can be misleading because of rest times.

Dark-Cloud 19 Feb 2020

I'm not sure who's doing his nav but they have been pretty spot on so far, unless he's on GPS, seemed to miss the entry to Lords Rake but that might have been conditions, picking the BG trod up onto Bowfell from Rossett Pike is not easy and is next up, Little Stand to Hard Knott is a tough down and up too, i'm presuming his overnight is Seathwaite tonight and that's a long way off yet......

steveriley 19 Feb 2020

Just wondering what Joss would have said on his Instagram back in the day: "Off out for a log run, we'll see how it goes"

In reply to steveriley:

Something like that I imagine, but with a Cumbrian accent.

In reply to steveriley:

thats what I love about fell running (as opposed to organised ultras and trail runs) - the masters of understatement, the lack of rules, gear and frippery.

steveriley 19 Feb 2020

I'm not quite sure what a 'log run' is but you get my point! Fair play Dom Ainsley though, not being snippy - he's a lot further in than my longest long run

CEW 19 Feb 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

His Instagram says he was planning North face of Grands Jorrasses, North Face of Dru and a sub 10hr Mont Blanc last spring but no mountaineering posts since then. 

Harry Jarvis 19 Feb 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> I'm not sure who's doing his nav but they have been pretty spot on so far, unless he's on GPS, seemed to miss the entry to Lords Rake but that might have been conditions, picking the BG trod up onto Bowfell from Rossett Pike is not easy and is next up, Little Stand to Hard Knott is a tough down and up too, i'm presuming his overnight is Seathwaite tonight and that's a long way off yet......

Looks like he's planning to overnight in Langdale, so he'll have a bit of a climb just to get back on route tomorrow morning. 

In reply to ablackett:

Seems to be going down the band.

In reply to Harry Jarvis:

I wonder if he's bailed - relative to what he's done it's not that far to Hardknott Pass where he could have met his support, rather than adding an extra 500m+ for tomorrow.

bouldery bits 19 Feb 2020

Indeed, dropping to Langdale seems an odd choice. Certainly, the weather up here has been pretty grim all afternoon. Hopefully he's just having a tactical rest and will be back at it later. 

In reply to bouldery bits:

can't see that - must have bailed.  it is pretty horrible weather

Jim Lancs 19 Feb 2020

I think there's chance he might just had enough for the day. Hard Knott is still quite a hard wet flog from Three Tarns and a good deal of it would be into the rain and wind. I've just come in and it's not nice up there.

Tomorrow he could start up Pile O'Blisco, Cold Pike and then Long Top before heading down Adam-a-Cove to Moasdale Hause and Hard Knott. Overnight in Langdale is not catastrophically silly.

uptosummit 19 Feb 2020
In reply to Jim Lancs:

Heard from a wee birdy he is currently with Rob Jebb and planning a stop in Old Dungeon Gyll...

In reply to uptosummit:

> Heard from a wee birdy he is currently with Rob Jebb and planning a stop in Old Dungeon Gyll...

Now you are talking, a Wainwright pub crawl, in winter, seriously impressive.

uptosummit 19 Feb 2020

I think 'crawl' is the best way of describing it! Crawl out ODG and straight into Stickle. 

Michael Hood 19 Feb 2020

In reply to... :

However much stick he's getting for over publicising this, you've got to admire that he's putting his money where his mouth is, so to speak.

uptosummit 19 Feb 2020
In reply to Michael Hood:

Publicising can be seen as arrogant or ballsy. At this stage, if he is up and moving again tomorrow, I am leaning towards the latter.

OP ablackett 19 Feb 2020
In reply to ablackett:

He has done in 4 days what Paul managed in 33 hours, that puts him on approximately 2.9x Paul’s schedule or just over 18 days. 
It’s an interesting observation that it’s not beyond the abilities of most fit fell runners to knock out 2000m+ per day for a couple of weeks and do a Wainwright round. I think this attempt will get a lot of people thinking they might have a go.

interesting comment further up about having to claim he was planning on breaking the record this summer to get sponsors involved. What a bonkers world we live in, where people hope to be judged on what they claim they can do rather than what they have done. 

OP ablackett 19 Feb 2020
In reply to ablackett:

He’s dropping into Langdale and his support are round near Conniston, that’s something of a problem.

uptosummit 19 Feb 2020
In reply to ablackett:

Post from Paul Tierney on Fell Runners UK: "Myself, Charlie Day and Matthew Beresford went in search of the Dom today on his Winter Wainwrights attempt and trotted for a couple of hours with him. Suggested he accompany us down to Langdale to get out of the grim conditions for a bit but he was having none of it. He eventually decided very sensibly to pop down the band and get a bit of shelter in langdale. I think the 3 of us were in agreement he’s as hard as nails. I’ve no doubt he is strong enough to get round. Just hope the weather gets a little kinder for him over the coming days. Not safe to be on your own in those conditions.”

OP ablackett 20 Feb 2020
In reply to uptosummit:

Looks like he is driving over Wrynose Pass this morning. Perhaps that’s it?

DaveHK 20 Feb 2020
In reply to ablackett:

>  interesting comment further up about having to claim he was planning on breaking the record this summer to get sponsors involved. What a bonkers world we live in, where people hope to be judged on what they claim they can do rather than what they have done. 

Have you read the Colin O'Brady thread?

I'll preface the below by saying im not suggesting it's the case here because I know nothing about the guy.

I have seen a few instances lately of people seeking corporate sponsors for challenges/activities/record attempts that many folks have done or would do without any such assistance. These things almost always seem to be worthy personal challenges but quite far from cutting edge activity. I don't really understand why someone would feel the need to do this other than if they can't afford to fund the activity themselves in which case, save up.  Or perhaps they just like the attention?

Post edited at 07:06
uptosummit 20 Feb 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

It's all well and good getting corporate sponsors, and that is very easy with social media today, but corporate sponsors don't give you performance benefits (well, unless you get sponsored by Nike...). I think this attempt has rankled many because we are seeing corporates like Audi and...Betfair (!!???) listed against a fell running challenge, which is not something any of us would like to see become a common feature. What are people's thoughts on this?

It can also be a shot in the foot for folks. Seeking sponsors for challenges you may not be prepared for means you are more likely to completely bury yourself trying because you've built up so much hype and responsibility to sponsors. Yes, that is a silly thing to do, but I actually feel sorry for folks who do that, because it increases pressure tenfold.

OP ablackett 20 Feb 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

> ...I don't really understand why someone would feel the need to do this...

I know of running folk who spend a long time seeking to become a ‘sponsored athlete’ they sometimes are successful and get a nice shiny bag of kit from Montane or the like every few months, post lots on social media, get likes and comments and feel like they have ‘made it’. There seems to be a whole community of such folk who all like and comment on each other’s posts. It all comes down to endorphins for their social media addiction I think.

Post edited at 08:32
In reply to uptosummit:

Its not the sponsors that bother me so much, but rather the language and the overhyping. It seems you have to make bold claims and over-play certain aspects in order to get media attention.  It also focuses on particular. well-known challenges when there are a host of other things out there. 

XXXX 20 Feb 2020

His tracker is still at wrynose. Is this over? 

Dark-Cloud 20 Feb 2020
In reply to XXXX:

Guessing so, his Facebook post suggested he dropped into Langdale to get out of the weather and he couldn't contact his support for 5 hours, seeing as he was in Langdale and they were the Duddon valley its hardly surprising as neither have good phone signal, i'm pretty sure it was over the minute he descended the Band.

uptosummit 20 Feb 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

According to Paul T, he descended the Band to avoid the weather, and seemed to do so grudgingly. I wouldn't be surprised to see him out again...

Harry Jarvis 20 Feb 2020
In reply to uptosummit:

I'm presuming coverage is poor over Wrynose - he doesn't appear to have moved for about an hour. 

Dark-Cloud 20 Feb 2020
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

The Wynose location was logged at 23.48 last night.

Inflexible 20 Feb 2020

Am just wondering why he's down at Wrynose at all.  Is his route not Cold Pike and then on to Hard Knott via Little Stand?  I hope everything is OK, presumably he has met his support vehicle there?

XXXX 20 Feb 2020
In reply to Inflexible:

Good spot to overnight I guess. 

Maybe his support came to get him from Langdale, parked up at wrynose and will either drop him back in Langdale this am, or he'll start from there. 

Post edited at 10:23
 Simon Caldwell 20 Feb 2020
In reply to XXXX:

He went "missing" last night, there was a worried thread on his facebook page. He was found in the early hours, seems like it was just a tracker malfunction.

Roadrunner6 20 Feb 2020

I thought that was his father who was missing?

Roadrunner6 20 Feb 2020
In reply to uptosummit:

He is wearing Nike Pegasus trail shoes, nice shoes but terrible in the wet and not the best grip. I just did a 25 mile run/snowshoe in the whites over pretty horrendous terrain, -25C, and my feet are destroyed. Ended up with a non-freezing cold tissue injury basically. Partly a sock issue but I learnt a lesson.. basically dont run when it's -25C and if you step into through a snow bridge and get wet feet just turn around and go home...

Simon Caldwell 20 Feb 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

I expect you're right!

Jim Lancs 20 Feb 2020

15.43 - He's in the Pie Shop in Broughton!

Ridge 20 Feb 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

> I thought that was his father who was missing?

It was. Now '''found".

DaveHK 20 Feb 2020
In reply to ablackett:

Looking at the latest updates I think there's a planning lesson to be learned. At first glance you might think a longer, tougher, winter round would benefit from a larger support team but actually a smaller, more flexible team with more closely spaced supply points is probably better equipped to deal with contingencies like they faced yesterday and will doubtless continue to face if he carries on.

Post edited at 16:06
 Dark-Cloud 20 Feb 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

Totally agree, i also think blindly following the route and stops of Tierneys route is a massive oversight in winter, you need to split it into much smaller manageable chunks, there is a load of road crossings where a couple of hours off the hill would have made a difference, also added to the fact that nutrition is totally different in winter, all this comes from experience though.

DaveHK 20 Feb 2020
In reply to ablackett:

Ooh, movement again but by vehicle I think.

riverz 20 Feb 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

Yep, looks like he is heading home. I have been enjoying the dot watching, an impressive effort in those conditions.

In reply to riverz:

Going to be interesting to see if this gets done in winter anytime soon. I imagine it would be within the capability of quite a few people to get round in 15 - 20 days if they get lucky with the weather. But that is a really big if, a lot of luck would be needed to get 2 + weeks of reasonable weather in winter.

Given the weather this week I can't image there would be many people who would have got much further than Dom did.

Roadrunner6 20 Feb 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Yeah I think he learnt a lot. It looked pretty light weight gear in general. In winter, in those conditions, you have to put more on. TBH I would even use a light weight waterproof boot for such a challenge. Hours of wet feet does not work.

Well done for trying though, he's young, he will learn and come back. He gave it a solid go.

"Wainwright’s Update everyone. 100+ miles in and Mother Nature has bested us this time. I am postponing the winter attempt as it’s too dangerous. The weather has been ridiculous and is forecasted to get worse with more stormy conditions and weather warnings on way with more 70mph+ winds on the tops on metoffice. Visibility has been near zero up high, ground is saturated lower down, some checkpoints are difficult/inaccessible due to flooding And I’ve had to change course several times on route to avoid certain sections of snow and ice on steep rocky descents. I’ve took a lot of risks these past four days especially going solo and have nearly paid for it bad several times. Those who know me know how much work I’ve put in for this behind closed doors

But I WILL be back to finish what I started and I am still going for the Wainwrights summer/winter double this year (August & December). I am down but not out! Sorry for letting you all down. The legs and body felt good throughout and I’m by far and away in best physical condition of my life but weather wins this time

Also, thanks to everyone who has supported me, friends, family and sponsors, it has been incredible the amount of people who are getting behind me now. We are not done yet, I’m only 23, I’m just getting started!! This just a learning curve. We could not have got more unlucky with the weather but the train keeps rolling. The 2020 Wainwright’s double is STILL ON regardless of all the naysayers. We go again in August in 6 months time.
I will finish what I set out to do, mark my words!!!"

Post edited at 17:49
Roadrunner6 20 Feb 2020

That's a long time. I think 2 weeks would be feasible hiking it, long days out. Bit by bit, manageable chunks. But it needs someone willing to be out for that long.

My wife and kid/kids won't be too happy with me for that.

In reply to Roadrunner6:

> That's a long time. 

Well 3 weeks is still 16 miles a day. In winter for 21 days every day is pretty good going I would say and would give scope for a 2 or 3 days off for atrocious weather and still have to average less than 20 miles a day. That's walkable.

2 weeks I'm sure would be doable by some but means 23 miles and 2000+ meters every day (average).  That sounds like a lot to me for 14 days straight.

Dave the Rave 20 Feb 2020

I can echo that he has had awful weather having been here all week and going up a few fells.

Sunday was unthinkable to be up high in those winds.

Monday I went up GriZedale Pike which was cold and interesting.

Wednesday I went up again but it had turned to snow above 600m and the wind remained, blizzard conditions.

I had on a balaclava, goggles, gore tex pro shell jacket with a double pile jacket and helly t underneath. On legs I had thin ronnies, fjallraven Barents and overtrousers. Moving uphill with a 15 lb pack I was just warm enough.

Hats off to this fella for even setting off on this challenge 

bouldery bits 20 Feb 2020
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> Hats off to this fella for even setting off on this challenge 

Indeed! It's been grim over this half term week in the Lakes. Proper weather. Fair play to Dom for toughing it out this long. I've enjoyed following along. Looking forward to seeing how the Summer record attempt goes!

Roadrunner6 20 Feb 2020

Not really, for a record like the AT people will do 50 miles a day for 40 days withe huge amounts of ascent. Its certainly manageable with support. They aren't carrying masses of gear.

In reply to Roadrunner6:

Maybe I'm looking at it from the perspective of a ordinary (once) fit mountain walker/fell runner and thinking what would be possible but not a complete miserable trudge fest. And you are looking more to the extremes of what would could be achieved by a few incredibly fit endurance athletes. 

The fact that the summer record for this round is about 50 miles per day suggests that would not be possible for a winter round even for elite athletes.

DaveHK 20 Feb 2020

> The fact that the summer record for this round is about 50 miles per day suggests that would not be possible for a winter round even for elite athletes.

That would very much depend on conditions. Although there are no rules for the Wainwrights I'm aware of its generally accepted that winter round = winter months rather than winter conditions. So with benign atmospheric and underfoot conditions a winter time approaching the summer one would be possible.

In reply to DaveHK:

I accept that in the extremely unlikely occurance of great conditions for 7 days a very quick winter round could be done, although I imagine the double length of darkness and the cold would slow anybody down by a reasonable amount.

But again I think we are talking about different things, you and roadrunner are talking about the extremes of human endurance, achievable by only a few people in extremely good conditions.  I'm talking about what is a acheivable by a lot bigger % of the mountain going population. 

I like the fact that at the moment a decently fit person in his fifties like me could go round in two - three weeks and be the first person ever to do this in winter. I do understand that there is a very small % of serious mountain athletes who could go round in 1 - 2 weeks depending on the conditions and make my pipe dream completely unachievable.

Roadrunner6 20 Feb 2020

No, I just think 20-30 would be, depending on terrain.

the lakes isn’t that rough so I think a fit runner/hiker could manage 25 a day.

but depends on the winter. It’s the lakes, winter can be basically just a dark normal day or proper winter. Tbh I’d rather have proper cold conditions than what Dom faced.

Dave the Rave 20 Feb 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

He’s had a shitter this week. Some truly awful conditions on the tops. Today beckoned well with sunshine and snow on the tops from about 450 m. This was replaced throughout the day with very strong winds at lake level and obliteration of the summits. Glad I didn’t change my plans to  walk around Coledale Horseshoe. 

DaveHK 21 Feb 2020

>  But again I think we are talking about different things, you and roadrunner are talking about the extremes of human endurance, achievable by only a few people in extremely good conditions.  I'm talking about what is a acheivable by a lot bigger % of the mountain going population. 

​​​​​​I was replying to the bit where you said that even elite athletes couldn't do it in that time frame.

The winter record is low hanging fruit for the simple reason that no one (I think) has really tried it! Records like this don't tend to attract the crème de la crème of endurance runners (if that's the right term) as they've got better known fish to fry and/or don't want to commit the time to something so obscure that could also impact on form later in the season.

Post edited at 07:05

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...