Keich weather

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 subtle 15 Feb 2020

Man, when is this shitty weather going to end - it feels like there has hardly been a dry day this year, and we've had a storm last weekend and now one this weekend - enough I say!

I know it's only weather but it does get depressing, constantly being buffeted by winds and soaked  to the skin by horizontal rain.

Oh for a settled dry spell of weather

Post edited at 14:12
 girlymonkey 15 Feb 2020
In reply to subtle:

Yep, the only thing my mountain clothing has been used for recently is doing the shopping!

I find running in this weather is ok, it's about the only thing to do with it really

In reply to subtle:

I work on the road and last weekend was more akin to being at sea in a trawler in a squall. I'm off this weekend so I'm less bothered by Storm Dennis. Sympathies to those who are out in it.

OP subtle 15 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

> I find running in this weather is ok, it's about the only thing to do with it really

Canoeing 🤣- think I’m going take that up 

I don’t run 

Timmd 15 Feb 2020
In reply to subtle:

I'm about to put my waterproof trousers on and cycle into town to have a spoke measured, for another bike to get some spares for. The air and water will wake me up I'm thinking, and the endorphins would be welcome. 

Perhaps it'll be sunny next weekend...

Post edited at 15:58
 girlymonkey 15 Feb 2020
In reply to subtle:

You could do that in my back garden at the moment!!

Baron Weasel 15 Feb 2020
In reply to subtle:

> Canoeing 🤣- think I’m going take that up 

> I don’t run 

I keep having the same thought! Here in the lakes the canoeists always have a grin on their faces. 

Gone 15 Feb 2020
In reply to Baron Weasel:

You don’t want an open canoe in this kind of weather. Too much windage- you will just get blown sideways into a bush. A kayak would be better. 

mondite 15 Feb 2020
In reply to Gone:

> You don’t want an open canoe in this kind of weather. Too much windage- you will just get blown sideways into a bush. A kayak would be better.

Can still feel the wind especially if you dont have much feathering on the paddle. For both lots of water isnt necessarily a good thing. Many rivers get somewhat challenging in unusually high water.

Lee valley is shut due to the weather this weekend.

nniff 15 Feb 2020
In reply to subtle:

I'm going to become an otter trainer.  Otter racing - the next big thing.  Mark my words, and then pack me off to where all the other crazies are these days.  Like the people who talk about winter climbing as if it's still a thing

toad 15 Feb 2020
In reply to subtle:

Weirdly,  it's been lovely and settled midweek. I was out on some gravel pits and it was cold and clear. Come the weekend and its honking down again

Flinticus 15 Feb 2020
In reply to subtle:

Hanging up my soaked jacket and waterproof trousers for the third time today. Two dog walks and a cycle trip to the bouldering centre (a sanity saver in this weather). The park I was in just now...so wet and flooded, pouring rain, it broke through the crap weather barrier into 'Wow! This is interesting'

Timmd 15 Feb 2020
In reply to Flinticus: I didn't go out in the end, I poked my head out and convinced myself I'd not cycle there in time and had a cheese sandwich instead.

Post edited at 17:45
 Flinticus 15 Feb 2020
In reply to Timmd:

Maybe a wise move. Wish I had cheese in the house.

russellcampbell 15 Feb 2020
In reply to subtle:

I live in central Scotland. Here there have certainly been a lot of very wet days but in among them there have been a lot of dry days, some of them actually sunny. Unfortunately you have to be retired or unemployed to grab the opportunities. I keep a spreadsheet of hills and I was out 15 times in January, none of the hills very high or the walks very long. Tuesday the 4th February until Friday 7th February were lovely days. The present deluge didn't start until late afternoon on Saturday the 8th. Since then I don't think I've seen so much rain.

Sorry to be pedantic but I think it's "keech."

marsbar 15 Feb 2020
In reply to Gone:

My kayak won't be coming out to play until this wind stops.  Hope to get out later in the week, after a very long injury break I'm finally ok to paddle again.  

girlymonkey 15 Feb 2020
In reply to russellcampbell:

I would agree. A number of days it has been the wind more than the rain which has kept me lower level

Padraig 15 Feb 2020
In reply to subtle:

Got a couple of windkite surfing pals who cant believe their luck....2 weekends in a row. Sigh

Gone 15 Feb 2020
In reply to marsbar:

For kayaking in this wind I would need a body of water that’s away from trees and other hazards, not too steep and whitewatery,  and with transport at both ends so I could do a downwind run. I can’t think of a suitable lake nearby, but the way it has been raining there might be a suitable A-Road soon! High streets not ideal,   might get the paddle caught on the street furniture.

OP subtle 15 Feb 2020

> I live in central Scotland. Here there have certainly been a lot of very wet days but in among them there have been a lot of dry days, some of them actually sunny. Unfortunately you have to be retired or unemployed to grab the opportunities. I keep a spreadsheet of hills and I was out 15 times in January, none of the hills very high or the walks very long. Tuesday the 4th February until Friday 7th February were lovely days. The present deluge didn't start until late afternoon on Saturday the 8th. Since then I don't think I've seen so much rain.

Aye, all I know is I seem to cycle to work in the pishing rain, then do the same on the return journey - it has been that way since turn if the year (bar the odd dry trip)

> Sorry to be pedantic but I think it's "keech."

You reckon? I will go with keich, it's no like its in the Oxford dictionary (I guess) 

russellcampbell 16 Feb 2020
In reply to subtle:

> You reckon? I will go with keich, it's no like its in the Oxford dictionary (I guess) 

OK. I'll give you that.

Just being looking on Accuweather forecasts for rest of February and for March. Looked at Stirling. Fort William, Ullapool, Aviemore, Ambleside and Capel Curig. Rest of February looks wet but March looks promising with a lot of dry, even sunny, days. Snow at times in the Cairngorms which will suit a lot of people on this forum.

Dry here in Stirling just now and no rain forecast until early afternoon so I'll be able to take my wee dog for a walk on the golf course. This is one bonus for me of the wet weather. The golf course has been shut to golfers so my wee dog can run about on the fairways. Every cloud .....

Fozzy 16 Feb 2020
In reply to subtle:

I’m glad we did the big shop & brought some logs down from the main farm yesterday because we can’t get out of the village today (I do plan on donning my chest waders & heading to the pub later though). God knows when it’ll recede, but I do know that I’m thoroughly fed up of it all. 

In reply to subtle:

> You reckon? I will go with keich, it's no like its in the Oxford dictionary (I guess) 

probably not the Oxford one, but it is in the Urban Dictionary, it sides with you...

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php%3fterm=ke...

Pefa 16 Feb 2020
In reply to subtle:

Look on the bright side it must be excellent for wind and wave power electricity generation therefore better for the planet Hurrah! 

OP subtle 16 Feb 2020

Today was dry - but windy - managed to get out and spent day chopping logs for next year - sore but content tonight - but see another flamin mini storm due this week as well, bah 

March will be good though, we have it on good account 

girlymonkey 16 Feb 2020
In reply to subtle:

I took the dog out for a walk about an hour ago. After a few minutes he let me know that further walking was not necessary tonight, home would be fine thanks! Lol. He's not a daft mutt!

ianstevens 17 Feb 2020

Forecasting on a daily resolution that far ahead isn’t much more than guesswork, and will tend to default to the average - I wouldn’t read much into a forecast more than 10 days ahead unless it’s a generic season-long description 

OP subtle 21 Feb 2020
In reply to thread:

Right, it feels like it has rained all week - when not raining its been sleet, or even snow - all accompanied by high winds.

Forecast for weekend is more of the same - arrrrrgh

Does it get too windy for canoeing? Imagine all the rivers are full so it would be a good sport to try just now.

(hope everyone all right and not flooded by the way)

russellcampbell 21 Feb 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

> Forecasting on a daily resolution that far ahead isn’t much more than guesswork, and will tend to default to the average - I wouldn’t read much into a forecast more than 10 days ahead unless it’s a generic season-long description 

You're probably correct. The Accuweather forecasts for March have changed for the worst since I posted. I am having a lot of problems at the moment and the thought of some nice days on the hills is the only thing keeping me going. I was trying to cheer myself up by being optimistic, something which doesn't come naturally to me. Right now the weather in Stirling is awful. - Heavy rain with strong wind. It has rained here now for 14 days in a row, with only occasional welcome breaks. The immediate forecast is pretty grim.

Post edited at 10:01
 girlymonkey 21 Feb 2020
In reply to subtle:

I think if you are not already a paddler, the rivers might be mostly too high at the moment. However, you could probably find a suitable local football pitch or supermarket car park that you could canoe on just now!!

I got a bit of sun yesterday when I was running! Although when I was at the summit a squally snow shower came through and hid the view! I swear the weather watches and plays games with us!!

I have some decorating and sewing to do, so that's today sorted for me.

In reply to girlymonkey:

Your post was just after mine. It was nice for a spell around lunch time yesterday.

ianstevens 21 Feb 2020

> You're probably correct. The Accuweather forecasts for March have changed for the worst since I posted. I am having a lot of problems at the moment and the thought of some nice days on the hills is the only thing keeping me going. I was trying to cheer myself up by being optimistic, something which doesn't come naturally to me. Right now the weather in Stirling is awful. - Heavy rain with strong wind. It has rained here now for 14 days in a row, with only occasional welcome breaks. The immediate forecast is pretty grim.

Oh I agree entirely with that sentiment - I'm thoroughly fed up and really craving a day out to drag myself out of the doldrums. Good on you for trying though, didn't mean to put a downside on things, rather educate about the vagaries of medium-term weather forecasts (I'm a Phys Geog lecturer so have a bit of knowledge here). Same scenario down here in Newcastle - if it's not raining its windy  

JohnnyW 21 Feb 2020

> Right now the weather in Stirling is awful. - Heavy rain with strong wind. It has rained here now for 14 days in a row, with only occasional welcome breaks. The immediate forecast is pretty grim.

I have just packed, and am girding my loins ready for the drive North from Stirling this afternoon. A 2 day job around Aviemore. I am rather fed up with trying to work out where I can go to change it from 'tortuous' to just 'arduous' for the clients!        

galpinos 21 Feb 2020
In reply to JohnnyW:

Cairngorm weather station at 5am reported an average wind speed of 100mph, with 77mph being the lowest speed recorded. 

Enjoy.......

In reply to JohnnyW:

All the best!

Flinticus 21 Feb 2020
In reply to subtle:

Soon to head out for the second dog walk of the day. Hopefully my waterproof leggings will have dried out enough from this mornings walk...I think they've seen more use this Feb than in the preceding 2/3 years! Off to Pollok Park where the ground is more saturated than I can recall. Its kinda fun but I'm getting tired of gearing up for a basic dog walk!

I have had one hill day in Dec/Jan and Feb so far and that was only half a success with an Irish graham 'bagged' but aborted attempt to get the nearby Irish munro. Winds too strong & wet snow residue on steep slopes (no winter gear with me) This is my worst record by a country mile for winter walking. The last good day was 30 November, on Beinn an Dothaidh. 

Mike-W-99 21 Feb 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

By staying flexible we’ve had 12 decent hill days this year.
No climbing or ski touring though although the base seems to finally be there now for the conditions to stay through the season.

Some long runs have saved a few other days.

on the train to fort William at the moment, the burns are mental with snow melt and rain.

girlymonkey 21 Feb 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Sounds very like my winter too. I have had a few decent hill runs in the Ochils but that has been about the extent of it since Dec 1st. The few nice days there have been, I have had other things on.

My dog very reluctantly left the garden with me today. Did his business and went straight back to the gardgen gate! His position on this weather is quite clear! Lol

girlymonkey 21 Feb 2020
In reply to galpinos:

The good thing about the Gorms is that there are good options at lower levels too. Not that I think they will be nice either, but clients might not blow away!!

OP subtle 21 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

> I think if you are not already a paddler, the rivers might be mostly too high at the moment. 

I would imagine laps of the Falls of Leny  would be challenging just now!

Flinticus 21 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Yep, the rare moderately good days, I've been busy. Any during the week, I've no work flexibility to make use of these.

My dogs doesn't care much about the rain, which gets me out during the day though it also means she can take her time as night when I just want her to do her wee and get back into the dry & warmth

OP subtle 21 Feb 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Cycle home was as expected - wet and windy - forecast for weekend not any better either - will see if Parkrun on tomorrow and drag myself round that otherwise it’s the pub for the rugby 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...